The Capitals never arrived - missing the playoffs, thoughts?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: The Capitals never arrived - missing the playoffs, thoug

Post by Lt. Dish »

Troy Loney wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I remember back in 2009 before the Pens vs Caps Rd 2 series, Jeremy Roenick was interviewing AO, and he told AO if he had a choice between AO and Sid to build a team around, he'd pick AO.

He's angling for a job in the Flyers' front office.
And I hope he gets one, too.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

newarenanow wrote:I remember back in 2009 before the Pens vs Caps Rd 2 series, Jeremy Roenick was interviewing AO, and he told AO if he had a choice between AO and Sid to build a team around, he'd pick AO.
Which explains why he is working as a talking head for NBCSN.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

This is worth a read:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ca ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oates micromanages everything, including curvature of sticks (!):
Nearly every player on the roster has been shown evidence as to why they should change their sticks — Oates said he plans to discuss tweaks to Ovechkin’s this summer — and many have done so, although Oates insists he has never forced anyone to adopt his suggestions.

For someone so in tune with every microscopic element of the game, though, Oates has sent firework-sized signals that he and McPhee aren’t on the same page. The most glaring instances came with McPhee’s trade deadline acquisitions of Martin Erat and Dustin Penner the past two seasons. Both had played on the top lines for other teams, but barely saw time beyond Washington’s third or fourth unit.
I can't see Bylsma telling Sid to put a curve on his stick, can you?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I have a good buddy that is a Caps fan, and he hates Oates more than the devil himself.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Never change Ovechkin. .never change.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ca ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ovechkin will be the NHL’s only 50-goal scorer this season, but he also has one of the worst plus-minus ratings in the league at -36.

“My job to score goals; that’s why I get paid,” Ovechkin said this week. “I didn’t get paid to put puck deep and create some other opportunities. As soon as I’m going to do that, you guys going to ask why I don’t score. It’s always going to be questions; there’s going to be remarks where I have to play better.”
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I think Adam Oates will be a very good coach. I think he has a pile of disjointed spare parts, Backstrom, Ovechkin, Alzner/Carlson and that's it...I'd fire McPhee before Oates at this point...

Either that, or Oates - like Dale Hunter, another Capital - will make a better junior/college coach. In fact, I'll start this now...Adam Oates in Red Berenson when Red retires...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Time for baseball season for some of them, at least in their broadcast crew...

shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

lol! love how the woman taking the picture is wearing a Malkin shirt! classic!
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

oh OvenChicken......
I get paid to score goals. I scored 50. You can’t point [at] one guy in position, say he didn’t do his job – look at everybody’s numbers. Watch the video and everybody have a bad year.
way to throw your team under the bus.

MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MarioLives »

How come the majority on here post more about the Caps than I ever have, yet I still get trolled whenever I post? Is it because you actually don't like me? Just curious. I have not posted about the Caps much, if at all
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

MarioLives wrote:Just curious. I have not posted about the Caps much, if at all
You've definitely posted more about your reputation of posting a lot about the Caps than you have about the actual Caps it seems like
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
MarioLives wrote:Just curious. I have not posted about the Caps much, if at all
You've definitely posted more about your reputation of posting a lot about the Caps than you have about the actual Caps it seems like
There were people rooting for the Flyers on Saturday, so apparently anything goes these days. :pop:
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

MarioLives wrote:How come the majority on here post more about the Caps than I ever have, yet I still get trolled whenever I post? Is it because you actually don't like me? Just curious. I have not posted about the Caps much, if at all
You want to know why? It's posts like this. You respond EVERY time when someone makes a comment your way. Ever hear the expression "feeding the troll"? You've made the troll obese. If you just let the comments pass and carry on the conversation of whatever thread you're in, eventually they stop altogether or slow down.

Internet 101
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Just got this email:

The Washington Capitals would like to thank you for your support during the 2013-14 season. While we did not achieve all of our goals, there were many memorable moments this year and we truly appreciate you being a part of them.

We will continue to strive and put ourselves in position to compete for the Stanley Cup. Your unwavering support of this franchise does not go unnoticed and we will continue to build a team that you can be proud to be a part of.

We look forward to seeing you at future games and events and are excited for the upcoming season.