2 or 3 point system for standings

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: 2 or 3 point system for standings

Post by tfrizz »

no name wrote:
Beveridge wrote:Win Regulation/OT = 2 points
Tie = 1 point
Loss Regulation/OT = 0 points

OT is 10 minutes 4 v 4
I could live with this. 10 minutes seems long though. A few OT games in a row and your star players will need rested and they have more chance at injury.

If you wanted to get real creative have alternating 5 on 3 power plays until one socres and the other doesn't
The problem there is that the reason the NHL brought shootouts in to begin with is because they wanted to get rid of ties.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: 2 or 3 point system for standings

Post by no name »

tfrizz wrote:
no name wrote:
Beveridge wrote:Win Regulation/OT = 2 points
Tie = 1 point
Loss Regulation/OT = 0 points

OT is 10 minutes 4 v 4
I could live with this. 10 minutes seems long though. A few OT games in a row and your star players will need rested and they have more chance at injury.

If you wanted to get real creative have alternating 5 on 3 power plays until one socres and the other doesn't
The problem there is that the reason the NHL brought shootouts in to begin with is because they wanted to get rid of ties.
No the NHL brought in the shootout mostly because the NHL wanted to find a way to keep fans in their seats til the end of regulation. Befor shootouts people would leave with 5 minutes left in regualtion since the game was guarenteed to end in a tie. It was a way to generate excitment and keep fans in their seats. Not so much that the tie ruined hockey.

The 3 on 3 for 5 minutes i think would result in a goal 75% of the time. Unless you want thoes shootouts to determin those 25% of remaining games i see no problem keeping the tie. Allowing both teams to walk away with a point and bringing back the 0-0 tie woo hoo!