Talbot to Avs for Downie

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Talbot to Avs for Downie

Post by marek »

The house cleaning has begun LOL... next up Voracek... Couterier... Schenn bros...
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

MRandall25 wrote:I've always hated Downie for this:

[youtube][/youtube]
Sykora was pretty useless after that hit - despite the OT goal.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

marek wrote:The house cleaning has begun LOL... next up Voracek... Couterier... Schenn bros...
The schenn sisters fit right in. Buy they'll probably sucker someone into giving them a big prize for couturier. Because he's so great. He made malkin mad that one time.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

shmenguin wrote:
marek wrote:The house cleaning has begun LOL... next up Voracek... Couterier... Schenn bros...
The schenn sisters fit right in. Buy they'll probably sucker someone into giving them a big prize for couturier. Because he's so great. He made malkin mad that one time.
The schenns are nothing special and Luke is outright bad, but couturier can play
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

The Dish on the street report is that the Phans are elated at this news. I can see why; Downie is arguably the better player, and the thought of Downie knocking Sid into an early off-season is too delicious to resist.

But, since games aren't played on paper, I see the benefits to the Avs for sure, and I'm happy for Max that he's out of that orange sweater. We all knew he was never going to see the end of that 5-year deal here.

But something must be up with the Avs for them to mess with the make-up (whether it's skill, chemistry, or both) of a 10-1 team and arguably take an acid bath value-wise to boot. Downie was playing well for them. As for the Flyers, while Max wasn't Superstar or anything, he was probably one of 3 or 4 guys on that team who gave a poop night-in and night-out.

Who knows--maybe Roy + Downie = too much crazy in one padded room.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

lol if you think Downie is going to be asked to actually play "hockey" in Philly.

The guy will fall right back into what philly fans want... he'll chase hits, get out of position, leave his feet and raise his elbows.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

sniper wrote:Clearly Varlamov's gf and Downie were causing problems, so he beat her and the team got rid of Downie. ~ I completely made that up, obviously.
Well, it's been known to happen .
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

Downie is a UFA at season's end and colorado probably knew they weren't going to resign him. i understand why a very young team like colorado values someone like talbot.

that being said Downie is a really solid player right now, a top 6 guy. really, he is the exact type of player the penguins need. he really is the most comparable player to tocchet i can think of in the nhl today, and tocchet completely turned around his career.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

sniper wrote:Clearly Varlamov's gf and Downie were causing problems, so he beat her and the team got rid of Downie. ~ I completely made that up, obviously.

you may have made it up but rumors are flying all over the place that the 2 incidents are related. seems fitting to send someone who (allegedly) bangs his teammate's SO to Philly though.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

This one always comes to mind:

[youtube][/youtube]

I don't think he's "just a thug," but I still don't like him. So Philly suits him for me.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Really good trade for Philly, IMO. I hear crowing about Downie's penchant for PIMs, but not like we don't have a player or two that is good for an opposing PP every game :pop:

Would love Downie, we need a player like him.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Wasn't Talbot a good PKer? whose going to kill Downie's penalties?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I hope that the Pens never again feel the need for a player like Downie.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pugilist13 »

knives of ice wrote:Downie is a UFA at season's end and colorado probably knew they weren't going to resign him. i understand why a very young team like colorado values someone like talbot.

that being said Downie is a really solid player right now, a top 6 guy. really, he is the exact type of player the penguins need. he really is the most comparable player to tocchet i can think of in the nhl today, and tocchet completely turned around his career.
Please don't put the names Downie and Tocchet in the same sentence. But, I guess you already have.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Yeah, that figure four knee takedown is the first thing I think of when I hear "Downie." Sid, despite how gruesome that hit and reaction, didn't miss a shift:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscor ... 40TBL.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Downie suffered a concussion last night after getting Volpatti'ed and went to the hospital

Lecavalier also got injured during the line brawl last night

lol
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by drtofu66 »

canaan wrote:Downie suffered a concussion last night after getting Volpatti'ed and went to the hospital

lol
Well, that didn't take long. He took a shot square in the left eye (TSN has the fight in their highlight video) and yelled to stop the fight right after that. Probably fractured an orbital bone. Since he was the one who started the fight (and since it's Steve Downie) I don't feel bad.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

Talbot was probably...
Smiling like a butcher's dog.
...when this trade was announced. From worst to first in one easy trade.

BEPF
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

canaan wrote:Downie suffered a concussion last night after getting Volpatti'ed and went to the hospital

lol
From various sports writers tweets: Broken bones in Downie's face. He's being kept an additional night for observation, possible eye damage.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

llipgh2 wrote:

lol
From various sports writers tweets: Broken bones in Downie's face. He's being kept an additional night for observation, possible eye damage.
It almost makes me feel sorry for the guy.

Nahhhh. You plant corn, you grow corn. :pop:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

I'm guessing Downie is a pretty dumb human, but if you're him, how do you not look at your career and realize you were actually a useful and decent hockey player when you stopped with the cheap shots and goonery? The guy goes back to Philly (not necessarily his choice) but gets right back into his idiot ways and possibly ruins his career if there's damage to his eye.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Good move for the Avs. Talbot will help this team as they continue to learn how to win...
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

It's about time they learn how to lose again.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

KG wrote:Good move for the Avs. Talbot will help this team as they continue to learn how to win...
True dat. Plus he got away from the revolving door (especially @ goalie) that the Flyers organization is.

The Flyers may actually decide to do something this year that their fans always accuse the Pens of doing...tanking to get higher up in the draft. :roll: In fact, they may not have to do it, since it seems to look like any win they get this year will be sheer luck or a complete off day from their opponent for the night.

BEPF
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

They still have Giroux so they are still a threat.

GP13 - 0 goals - 6 assists hard to argue with those numbers.

With the backing of Pee-air McGuire and Peter Toilett its not hard to see why that guy got the contract he got.