DiPietro to Bridgeport...

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: DiPietro to Bridgeport...

Post by Pitts »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitts wrote:
pensfan1989 wrote:Do you guys think the Pens should.....?
I seriously scoff in your general direction! Where are you located right now?
Apparently at Ponakronkoski
Which direction is that?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Wait...I thought the Isles picked up TT because they had to hit the cap ceiling.

Now, I know they had 2 suspended players, and when suspended they don't count against the cap, right? Now they are back, they have TT's contract. So I'm assuming the Isles are now over the ceiling? Is that why they are releasing the glass goalie?
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

I don't think so. I think this is actually a hockey move. Your not allowed to bury cap hits in the minors anymore ala wade redden.

And I don't think you'll see any team "take a flyer on him for this season then buy him out ". Even at 2/3rds that's alot of money most teams can't afford
Last edited by Fire0nice228 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

http://healthyricky.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/2 ... s-contract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

No one even hurting in goal is claiming him. Too expensive to buy him out when it doesn't work out. Isles4Lyf
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

npv708 wrote:Image
I'd take that punch for a 30 million dollar vacation.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Sounds like he's not taking it too well...

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/dip ... t-on-fire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevin Maher @KMaherNews12
I had a candid interview with @nyislanders G Rick DiPietro today. He was waived then demoted to AHL team in Bridgeport,CT last week.

DiPietro told me Isles waiving him felt like, "they ripped my heart out, stabbed it, set it on fire and flushed it down the toilet."

I asked DiPietro if he thinks he's still part of the Islanders future plans. He said, "I don't know." @news12li

DiPietro also admitted injuries, losing and fan hatred over the past 3 years made him think about killing himself at one point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Those tweets went from pretty funny to sad. :sadface:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

:cry: :cry: :cry: Man, I hate to hear things like that. Love Ricky, I hope he can get his mind back together soon. He's a terrific guy.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

If true, I would feel very bad for him. But, in all honesty, he could be saying for attention or pity.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Why wouldn't he feel that way. He is widely hated by his own fans(can almost understand this) and by opponents fans(can't understand this) because his body hasn't held up throughout his NHL career.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mongoose87 »

Pitts wrote:If true, I would feel very bad for him. But, in all honesty, he could be saying for attention or pity.
And this is why we have problems addressing mental health in this country.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

There is a lot of pressure that goes along with signing a contract like that. i couldnt imagine living underneath the weight of that. expectations, criticisms, etc. sure its easy to say that "id take that much money and deal with it yuk yuk yuk" but its constantly living under a microscope, combined with the uncontrollable (injuries, teamplay, unlucky bounces). dipietro pinned himself into an unwinnable situation clouded by dollar signs and seemingly career certainty.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Pitts wrote:If true, I would feel very bad for him. But, in all honesty, he could be saying for attention or pity.
DiPietro isn't like that at all. He loves the game so much, it's absolutely his first passion. He desperately wants to play and would give anything to make it happen. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for him. And I'm not one of those "oh won't somebody please think of the children!" types...DP is about as good of a guy as there is in the game, and my heart goes out to him...
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

tfrizz wrote: Kevin Maher @KMaherNews12
DiPietro told me Isles waiving him felt like, "they ripped my heart out, stabbed it, set it on fire and flushed it down the toilet."
Scary part is that this wasn't the first time DiPietro suffered that exact injury.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

tfrizz wrote: Kevin Maher @KMaherNews12
DiPietro also admitted injuries, losing and fan hatred over the past 3 years made him think about killing himself at one point.
This is disturbing and really sad. I hope he sought help.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I hope nothing but the best for him and hope another team gives him a shot.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

mikey287 wrote:
DiPietro isn't like that at all. He loves the game so much, it's absolutely his first passion. He desperately wants to play and would give anything to make it happen. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for him. And I'm not one of those "oh won't somebody please think of the children!" types...DP is about as good of a guy as there is in the game, and my heart goes out to him...
he may be a good guy but he clearly doesn't live in the real world. it absolutely baffles me that he couldn't see this coming. perhaps he has too many people around him (agents, friends, family) blowing smoke up his a**. the Islanders have given him more than enough time to get his act together health-wise and it hasn't happened. smart move to cut him loose.
it would be a fantastic comeback story to have him come back in a year or two and win the Vezina &/or The Cup. if TT can do it why can't DiPietro?
Last edited by shoeshine boy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

shoeshine boy wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
he may be a good guy but he clearly doesn't live in the real world. it absolutely baffles me that he couldn't see this coming. perhaps he has too many people around him (agents, friends, family) blowing smoke up his a**. the Islanders have given him more than enough time to get his act together health-wise and it hasn't happened. smart move to cut him loose.
Is there an article about him being surprised about this?
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Idoit40fans wrote:
shoeshine boy wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Is there an article about him being surprised about this?
if you feel like your "heart is being ripped out and flushed down the toilet" that tells me that you didn't see this coming.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

My lasting memory of Dipietro is him getting chased by the Pens and while he was skating off Mellon ice the fans were giving it to him so badly he gave us all the double bird salute.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Mongoose87 wrote:
And this is why we have problems addressing mental health in this country.
Excuse me sir, you have no idea who you are talking to.

My wife suffers from depression daily (has been on medication for years) and is diagnosed bi-polar. I know what I'm talking about.

I have seen perfectly healthy individuals who are known as attention seekers claiming all kinds of horrendous health issues. It does happen you know.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

he should have been an actor in romantic comedies! ;)
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

shoeshine boy wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
it would be a fantastic comeback story to have him come back in a year or two and win the Vezina &/or The Cup. if TT can do it why can't DiPietro?
Get his act together? The parallel between Thomas and DP doesn't make any sense to me...TT was just not good enough to play in the league, DiPietro is more than good enough, he just suffers freak, debilitating injuries a lot. It's not like he's sitting there drinking beers on the bench wondering why they don't put him in...