Nicklas Lidstrom Press Conference 5/31 - Retiring

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Nicklas Lidstrom Press Conference 5/31 - Retiring

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Two captains since 1986. Pretty impressive.

Lots of cap space now, unfortunately.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

shmenguin wrote:i spent too much time hating the red wings to ever fully appreciate lidstrom.
I kinda feel the same way, haha
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Greatest dman I have ever seen play long-term in my lifetime. I only got a few short years of Bobby Orr who I feel is the best dman to ever play the game and there are no equals, but Lidstrom is right there at #2. What an incredible talent and probably the best hockey instincts of anyone has ever played the game. Lidstrom knew what any opposing forward was going to try before that player himself did. His anticipation and lightning-quick reflexes with the poke-check are in another stratosphere.

Despite the post-Cup growling bit he had a few years ago about the handshake line with Sid, I thought he conducted himself over a very long period of time as an extremely classy player on and off the ice and the NHL and its fans will miss him.

Nothing but a ton of respect for Lidstrom here. He left on his own terms when he felt like he didn't have enough left to give and just walked away instead of sucking down another 6mil or so for a season and not being a top talent.