Hershey Bears @ WBS Penguins Game 1 Official Thread

Forum for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Wheeling Nailers messages.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

Another shorty 4-2 now. What must the Bears be thinking?

And it was a 5 on 3 penalty kill!
Last edited by BurghThing on Thu May 04, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

wow, go away for a few minutes and WBS is back in the game....
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

tom grace

Post by penny lane »

The Futuristic Bird wrote:Stone. 4-2. Another shorthander it seems from a nearly impossible angle. Bad rebound by Cassivi. "Softer than yogurt" according to Grace.
Tom Grace, I enjoy his dramatic delivery. I know he is cornball
and quite the homer but especially just on the web he makes
the game fun.

Be strong Flower!
NIN

Post by NIN »

relantel wrote:wow, go away for a few minutes and WBS is back in the game....
Right, so could you go away for the 3rd period? :wink:
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

4-3 another softy by the Bears goalie.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

MAF gives up another rebound goal.

5-3
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

oh great, soon as I start listening the Bears score.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

yay 5-4
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

Filewich makes it 5-4!!!!
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

Enditcott riding the pine. Who says Joey can't coach?
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

Whitney with the slash, shorthanded the rest of the game.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

ah don't sound good....
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by gregor »

Fleury gives up 5.

:(

he CANNOT do that and expect to win.
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by gregor »

yes, they've shown that they can.

but they really need to stop giving away home ice...

they earned it in the reg season, they need to hold it on the playoffs
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

gregor wrote:Fleury gives up 5.

Honest question: did you watch the game? If not, you can't accurately say the loss is on him. The only thing you can accurately judge from the final score is that the TEAM gave up 5 goals. Whether they were on Fleury or not, you cannot tell from a box score.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

NIN wrote:
relantel wrote:wow, go away for a few minutes and WBS is back in the game....
Right, so could you go away for the 3rd period? :wink:
I stayed away the rest of the game and they made it close. Too bad I couldn't have stayed away that first half of the 2nd period!
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by gregor »

netwolf wrote:

Honest question: did you watch the game? If not, you can't accurately say the loss is on him. The only thing you can accurately judge from the final score is that the TEAM gave up 5 goals. Whether they were on Fleury or not, you cannot tell from a box score.
Did I watch the game: no.
Was it a team problem to give up so many goals: probably yes.
Was it a team loss: definitely yes.

That still does not vindicate Fleury. He can't get a free pass just because those in front of him were asleep half the game.

Five pucks still found their way into his net. It was precisely a game like tonight that they needed him to stand on his head. If he is to be the goalie the pens think he will be, he MUST be able to pull a rabit out of his hat, even when his defenders are asleep at the wheel.

My original post was not meant to place the blame on Fleury. It was meant to say that he needs to bring his game to the next level. Especially in the playoffs.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

gregor wrote:
netwolf wrote:

That still does not vindicate Fleury. He can't get a free pass just because those in front of him were asleep half the game.

Five pucks still found their way into his net. It was precisely a game like tonight that they needed him to stand on his head. If he is to be the goalie the pens think he will be, he MUST be able to pull a rabit out of his hat, even when his defenders are asleep at the wheel.

My original post was not meant to place the blame on Fleury. It was meant to say that he needs to bring his game to the next level. Especially in the playoffs.
'

Aw, come on. Didn't you know Fleury gets a free pass no matter what happens?

I totally agree with everything you said. No, I don't think Fleury is the anti-christ. I am just tired of hearing about him and his precious mental assets and development.

If we win 3-0, Fleury won the game for us and he was fantastic.
If we lose 3-0, the team sucked and you can't blame the loss on Fleury.

It's either one or the other with most people. :roll:

Seriously, not pointing fingers here at all. Simply making discussion. I just think people need to have a more realistic viewpoint of the kid.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Goalie »

Jesse wrote:
gregor wrote:
netwolf wrote:

'

I totally agree with everything you said. No, I don't think Fleury is the anti-christ. I am just tired of hearing about him and his precious mental assets and development.

Seriously, not pointing fingers here at all. Simply making discussion. I just think people need to have a more realistic viewpoint of the kid.
The opinions vary so widely on Fluery because goaltending is probably the least understood position in sports by the majority of fans. Some fans think 99% of goals allowed are the fault of the goalie. Some fans think that the defense can do a better job to help the goalie out 99% of the time. Add into the equation that sometimes the goalie just gets beat by a really good shot and it throws people all out of whack.

Rarely when a Penguin scores a goal is there a discussion about how poorly the other goalie played it. There are times when a Penguin goalie gets beat by an absolute rocket to the top corner and people comment that he went down too early.

Fans always want their shooters to shoot the puck hard and low to create rebound oppurtunities, when their own goalie has a tough to handle shot its a bad rebound.

Fluery has his faults, he is 21 years old, he also has not been given any kind of break along the way either. Whether he was being shuttled between WBS and Pittsburgh or playing behind poor defenses in Pittsburgh he has faced a lot of obstacles to early success. I think he has done very well for being a 21 year old #1 goalie in the NHL.

Hopefully he continues to develop and becomes a dominant NHL goalie in a Penguin uniform. But if anyone thinks what he does over 7 games in the AHL is going to change the end result of his career they are not thinking clearly.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

Goalie wrote:
Jesse wrote:
gregor wrote:
netwolf wrote:

'

The opinions vary so widely on Fluery because goaltending is probably the least understood position in sports by the majority of fans. Some fans think 99% of goals allowed are the fault of the goalie. Some fans think that the defense can do a better job to help the goalie out 99% of the time. Add into the equation that sometimes the goalie just gets beat by a really good shot and it throws people all out of whack.

Rarely when a Penguin scores a goal is there a discussion about how poorly the other goalie played it. There are times when a Penguin goalie gets beat by an absolute rocket to the top corner and people comment that he went down too early.

Fans always want their shooters to shoot the puck hard and low to create rebound oppurtunities, when their own goalie has a tough to handle shot its a bad rebound.

Fluery has his faults, he is 21 years old, he also has not been given any kind of break along the way either. Whether he was being shuttled between WBS and Pittsburgh or playing behind poor defenses in Pittsburgh he has faced a lot of obstacles to early success. I think he has done very well for being a 21 year old #1 goalie in the NHL.

Hopefully he continues to develop and becomes a dominant NHL goalie in a Penguin uniform. But if anyone thinks what he does over 7 games in the AHL is going to change the end result of his career they are not thinking clearly.
One of the more clear, level headed posts on Fleury I've ever read.

Especially the ending. Playing him in the AHL playoffs "no matter what" is not going to make him either Garth Snow or Martin Broduer.
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by gregor »

after reading the reports and blog from Penguins Insider, I'm backing off a little from the Fleury criticism. It sounds like there was very little clearing and Bu-Cu traffic in front of his net.

However, he still doesn't get a free pass. He really needs to work on controlling his rebounds and that fault was exposed last night.

And 5 goals is still 5 goals.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Vanbiesbrouck »

Bad rebounds or not, having not seen the game it's tough to say. He definitely has a habit of kicking rebounds straight into the high slot. Especially on very easy shots, he always wants to kick a leg out instead of trying to absorb the shots. If he insists on kicking pucks away, they need to get someone to teach him to move the rebounds towards the corner boards instead.

This isn't a rookie mistake, either. It's a developmental one. It's not like when you get to the NHL it's big news that we don't clear rebounds into the slot anymore in this league. Hopefully it's something he works on and gets fixed, otherwise all the quickness in the world does this team no good between the pipes.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

When did I say anything about giving Fluery a free pass? All I said was that you can't tell how he played without having seen it, and that's true if he game up 5, 0, 3, or 8.