Poll: Should Sid be on the shootout?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Should Sid be on the shootout?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:09 am

Keep Sid
65%
Remove Sid & use Staal or Ruutu
29%
Remove Sid & use someone else
5%

Total votes: 78

Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Sid is in good company. Check out the table at the bottom of this column. Among players who have taken 10 career shootout shots, only two are worse than Sid. They are named Ilya Kovalchuk and Jarome Iginla. Just ahead of Sid is some guy named Jagr. And if Sid scores on his next one, he'll be tied with some guy named Sakic.
ZelieMike
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ZelieMike »

You don't take the best player in the game off a game winner.

Period.

ZM
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ivand87 »

pfim wrote:He's the best player in the game, he needs to get better at them, not stop doing them.
You're right on the money. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

GJunker wrote:
pfim wrote:If my team is one point from a playoff spot and down to the last shooter, I'd pick the leader of the team and the best player in the game every single time.
Exactly. I really think it's crazy to suggest otherwise.

You know, Gonchar had 2 goals last night, and Sid had none. Obviously, Sid should move to D and be replaced by Gonchar.
That is so irrelevant that I actually laughed. First of all crosby had as many points as gonchar, thus you have no point. Second, you are an idiot if you don't send your best shootout man on the shootout. Would you send shaq to the free throw line on an intentional foul? THirdly, it sounds better to have 3 points when you make an argument.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by 71Aj66ax87 »

The only way Sid will get any better at the SO is to keep using him.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Sid tries to do too much on the shootouts. He dekes like 37 times and then runs out of space. Shootouts take patience and concentration.

I think Sid is still running at such a high RPM from the game that he isn't able to cool down for the shot. Look at the ASG Skills competition, he did fine there.

Therrien has stated that he's never not going to use 87 and 71. So this is a pointless conversation.
phate

Post by phate »

Lets say this game is just before the playoffs and if you lose your out. We all know Crosby sucks at shootouts and both Staal and Rutu are better than he is. Are you honestly going to put Crosby in there when you know perfectly well that it's more likely than not that he won't score?
Of course, this is an extreme case. yet, every point we gain and game win win counts, we're basically slaughtering ourselves putting him in the lineup night after nightl.
And what the hell are practices for if not to work on their skill and improve???
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

pcm wrote:Sid tries to do too much on the shootouts. He dekes like 37 times and then runs out of space. Shootouts take patience and concentration.
I agree completely. Crosby gets some bad bounces that seem like bum luck, but he helps make his own bad luck by making those 37 moves, which is 37 chances to lose control of the puck.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Senka »

Idoit40fans wrote: That is so irrelevant that I actually laughed. First of all crosby had as many points as gonchar, thus you have no point. Second, you are an idiot if you don't send your best shootout man on the shootout. Would you send shaq to the free throw line on an intentional foul? THirdly, it sounds better to have 3 points when you make an argument.
Its actually a Technical foul.. not an intential one..

And as for his comment -- im sure he was just being sarcastic to prove yur point was a dumb one. The day yu take over in MT's spot, you can take Sid out -- otherwise he's there to stay in the top 3.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by helmespc »

I agree with coach T.... I wouldn't want to lose a game with my best player on the bench.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

The Rangers routinely don't have Jagr in their top 3. Is that only because he hasn't fared well in shootouts or because his shoulder injury limits his options? Anybody know?
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Senka »

combo of both. he is used sometimes, when the coach has a feeling. But most of the time he is the 4th man.