The Official Olympic Hockey Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: The Official Olympic Hockey Thread

Post by columbia »

JayBo is a heck of a hockey player. Their D is crazy good.
I don't think Sweden has a chance.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

pens_srq wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
pens_srq wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
pens_srq wrote:I'm pretty sure that this turned out as horribly as it could. We lost Paul Martin. None of the Pens have done anything except Maatta. Canada Sweden Final. Here's to hoping Sweden kills them.
Russia could have won the gold. :pop:
I would have been happy for Malkin. Crosby? He's had his glory. Not like anyone can say he was the major factor in this win.
I thought he had a hell of a game today.
Yeah he played very well. Scared the hell out of me a couple times. But he didn't score. No one in Canada is going to praise a superstar that can't score. I could just imagine them yelling about Kunitz all game. Saying he doesn't deserve to be there. Did you see that open net he missed? I bet they say it! I guess to me, the Canadian media doesn't deserve to win. Maybe the players do but blah....
I think there is a big difference in what the canadian media says and saying no one in hell will say he was a major factor in this game.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

pens_srq wrote:If Sid wins gold, I'd suggest the Pens keep quiet about it when they get back. No need to have a house full of boos rain down on Sid and Kunitz.
Why would people in Pgh boo them for winning gold?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

newarenanow wrote:
pens_srq wrote:If Sid wins gold, I'd suggest the Pens keep quiet about it when they get back. No need to have a house full of boos rain down on Sid and Kunitz.
I agree. I don't think anyone boo'ed in 2010.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Why? They did it last time. Sid scored a hat trick that night, IIRC (on Ryan Miller, no less)
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Trip McNeely »

newarenanow wrote:
No one would....Crap, I bet some people in Pittsburgh were rooting for Canada because of Crosby
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

Ultimately it's on the players, but Bylsma didn't match lines at all. When Canada started going into a shell with about 12 minutes to go it was over.

It felt exactly like last year's ECF, but with different players and teams. Bylsma played right into Babcock's hands. Don't forget, Claude Julien is an assistant for Canada.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah im sure there were many of them, and they make me sick. Other things that make me sick: Canadians, Canadiens, Dan Bylsma.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Ive done nothing at work today and for what?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

My brother has suggested going to Tim Hortons and doing unthinkable things to their donuts...
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wondermoose »

Man, poor Martin. This is like his 10th broken bone in four years.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens_srq »

newarenanow wrote:
pens_srq wrote: Yeah he played very well. Scared the hell out of me a couple times. But he didn't score. No one in Canada is going to praise a superstar that can't score. I could just imagine them yelling about Kunitz all game. Saying he doesn't deserve to be there. Did you see that open net he missed? I bet they say it! I guess to me, the Canadian media doesn't deserve to win. Maybe the players do but blah....
I think there is a big difference in what the canadian media says and saying no one in hell will say he was a major factor in this game.
That's my point. The worst part of Canada are their hockey media. And now we're gonna have to hear it. I know I won't be watching NHL network for at least 2 weeks now. Also, I said no one in Canada, not hell. Are you implying that Canada is hell? I might agree with that if you are forced to listen to their media all day.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

US lost this on the PP. Canada came out with an aggressive kill and the Americans didn't have an answer for it. Canada's definitely the better team, but the Americans had a shot to win, espcially with all the PP time.

I think what's familiar about this game and the anti-Blysma sentiment, comes from Blysma's teams generally looking wicked good against weaker competition... fast, aggressive, attacking, confident. But against teams that keep things to the outside and can transition quickly, his strategy falls flat.

I mean, I'm sure he knew he was outmatched in this game. Its why he put an emphasis on special teams going into the tournament. But that didn't work either.

Whatever, hopefully he learns something from this tournament and comes back a better coach.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

wondermoose wrote:Man, poor Martin. This is like his 10th broken bone in four years.
I wonder if he rebroke the same bone in his hand that was operated on last season?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

ban tfrizz
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

I won't boo them.

I'll boo Blysma. :pop:
eww7633
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by eww7633 »

Crankshaft wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
We definitely booed Crosby and cheered Miller during the Pens little pregame ceremony recognizing the medalists. Nothing serious, but I did get a kick out of it.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

eww7633 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
We definitely booed Crosby and cheered Miller during the Pens little pregame ceremony recognizing the medalists. Nothing serious, but I did get a kick out of it.
I don't remember much. I remember a few but it was more of jeering, but overall more people cheered.

It wasn't even close to a house full of boo's that the OP is suggesting.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

We can take comfort in the thought that Physical_Graffiti is celebrating with 6/7 of pizza.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

columbia wrote:We can take comfort in the thought that Physical_Graffiti is celebrating with 6/7 of pizza.
That he walked to get. :pop: :lol:
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Honeslty, sometimes I don't mind losing because it is entertaining to see some meltdowns/blamegame/excuses come out.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Frankly, while it would have been nice to see the US advance, when it comes right down to it I don't care.

I consider the Stanley Cup to be the big prize. A tournament that happens once every 4 years for bragging rights...meh.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

newarenanow wrote:
columbia wrote:We can take comfort in the thought that Physical_Graffiti is celebrating with 6/7 of pizza.
That he walked to get. :pop: :lol:
No no. He got the pizza b/c it was more convenient. The store was where he had to walk to go and b/c there were no shoes, that was impossible to do.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

In Canada, they're not called winter olympics... just olympics.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

bhaw shows up right after I make that comment. Spooky.