TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by Froggy »

columbia wrote:Walking Dead right now....
yeah. edge of your seat stuff right off the bat. amazing
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Unreal start to the walking dead. The little girl has it coming.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

the sense that ANYONE (well, anyone besides rick, I guess) can die at ANY time really adds to the drama of this show. this just passed the last 15 mins of episode 4 of season 1 as the best moments from this series so far, imo
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Froggy wrote:the sense that ANYONE (well, anyone besides rick, I guess) can die at ANY time really adds to the drama of this show. this just passed the last 15 mins of episode 4 of season 1 as the best moments from this series so far, imo
Agreed, so far best show yet I think. Of the series.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Anyone else watch the first episode of Homeland last night (Showtime, after Dexter)?

I still haven't seen the Boardwalk premiere so I just watched this last night. I really enjoyed it. Pretty excited for this show, actually.

Best new show of the year!!!

Col Winters from Band of Brothers, Claire Danes, and the hottie from Firefly and V. Claire Danes' character is extremely well written and being that she is a real actress she pulls it off great. The acting is off the charts in this show.

I'm definitely glad I cancelled HBO and stuck with the cheaper (and now better) Showtime. HBO needs to step up its game.
You forgot inigo montoya from princess bride (saul). Never heard of this until you mentioned it. Watched the first 2 episodes and I'm hooked, thanks

Sounds like I need to catch up and watch Walking Dead as well
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

:shock:
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

What an ending to the walking dead tonight.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Malkamaniac wrote:What an ending to the walking dead tonight.
great episode overall. wow
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Malkamaniac wrote:What an ending to the walking dead tonight.
Yeah...wtf???
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Premiere was great. I DVR'd it and watched Boardwalk Empire so I could skip the commercials when I watched it. Also good because BE would have been so lackluster by comparison had I watched it afterwards.

Anyone know how many episodes they're doing this time? Hopefully more than six.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

the wicked child wrote:Premiere was great. I DVR'd it and watched Boardwalk Empire so I could skip the commercials when I watched it. Also good because BE would have been so lackluster by comparison had I watched it afterwards.

I think it's 13.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I don't know what happened. I loved The Walking Dead last season. Was really looking forward to the premiere tonight, but I thought it was slow, boring, and found myself not caring about any of the characters, all of whom pretty much annoyed me.
Spoiler:
Was definitely surprised by the ending, but since a major deviation has already been made from the comics regarding character survival, I just don't see them killing someone resembling a main character at this point. Don't think they have the guts to do it.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

Dickie Dunn wrote:I don't know what happened. I loved The Walking Dead last season. Was really looking forward to the premiere tonight, but I thought it was slow, boring, and found myself not caring about any of the characters, all of whom pretty much annoyed me.
Spoiler:
Was definitely surprised by the ending, but since a major deviation has already been made from the comics regarding character survival, I just don't see them killing someone resembling a main character at this point. Don't think they have the guts to do it.
I thought it was one of the best.

Maybe watch it again when you aren't so "eh, I read the book and it is sooooo much better"

haha, kidding. :D
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

tjand72 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Premiere was great. I DVR'd it and watched Boardwalk Empire so I could skip the commercials when I watched it. Also good because BE would have been so lackluster by comparison had I watched it afterwards.

I think it's 13.
Yes, 13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_(season_2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

JeffDFD wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:I don't know what happened. I loved The Walking Dead last season. Was really looking forward to the premiere tonight, but I thought it was slow, boring, and found myself not caring about any of the characters, all of whom pretty much annoyed me.
Spoiler:

Maybe watch it again when you aren't so "eh, I read the book and it is sooooo much better"

That's the thing though, I haven't even read the books. I know about the major change from those who have read the books and complained about it non-stop. I might have just had a negative outlook on the episode once it started with Rick's cringe worthy opening monologue. Throw in some weak, corny dialogue, lots of staring at each other, cliche character moments, and a couple of zombies and that was tonight's episode
Spoiler:
until the end.
Greg Nicotero's zombie make-up is amazing though.

Edit:
Spoiler:
Even the surprise ending bothered me. It was a damn deer, yet Carl is looking at it like its a unicorn or something. Kid is supposed to be from a small Kentucky town. Probably sees 20 deer a day. Whoopdy doo, there's a deer in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Spoiler:
you do realize that he saw the deer as the sign from God that he was asking for in the previous scene, right?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

walking dead: good not great

the best 15 minutes of the show was in episode 1. the guy trying to shoot his wife + rick going back to mercy kill the crippled zombie. the show hasn't come close to matching that quality since.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I taped the Walking Dead and will probably watch it tonight.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

shmenguin wrote:walking dead: good not great

the best 15 minutes of the show was in episode 1. the guy trying to shoot his wife + rick going back to mercy kill the crippled zombie. the show hasn't come close to matching that quality since.
the uncomfortable 5 minute "near silent" lead-in of that episode was perfect & smelled of frank darabont. i started rewatching the first 6 and will get to the new epi tonight. pretty excited.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

canaan wrote:
shmenguin wrote:walking dead: good not great

the uncomfortable 5 minute "near silent" lead-in of that episode was perfect & smelled of frank darabont. i started rewatching the first 6 and will get to the new epi tonight. pretty excited.
i think you'll struggle with this show if you aren't a frank darabont fan. the dialogue will seem cheesy, but with darabont, he makes sure you know exactly what's going on in the heads of his characters - hence blunt, unrealistic interactions. for instance...in shawshank, that was a lot of self-awareness for convicted murderers, no?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

I heard the walking dead season 2 premier was very average to below average. I will probably watch it Wednesday or so with Pens games tonight and tomorrow. I went with Homeland last night and I obviously made the right choice going by the reaction to Walking Dead.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:
Spoiler:

That's the thing though, I haven't even read the books. I know about the major change from those who have read the books and complained about it non-stop. I might have just had a negative outlook on the episode once it started with Rick's cringe worthy opening monologue. Throw in some weak, corny dialogue, lots of staring at each other, cliche character moments, and a couple of zombies and that was tonight's episode
Spoiler:
until the end.
Greg Nicotero's zombie make-up is amazing though.

Edit:
Spoiler:
Even the surprise ending bothered me. It was a damn deer, yet Carl is looking at it like its a unicorn or something. Kid is supposed to be from a small Kentucky town. Probably sees 20 deer a day. Whoopdy doo, there's a deer in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.
This show has extremely badly written characters and character plots. They are trying to go for seriousness, but they don't have the writing or acting to pull it off. I blame the terrible comic book roots. Hopefully with Breaking Bad ending they move those writers (and hopefully actors) onto this show and fire the entire cast, crew, directors, and writers. They need to replace literally everyone associated with this show except the makeup guys.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Looking back, I liked the beginning and the ending of The Walking Dead.

Spoiler:
The little girl has/had it coming, and honestly, I think it would have made more of an impact for them to just let her go, making the decision to leave a child, a true shock, rather than doing all of this nonsensical walking around in the woods aimlessly.

The deer was considered a "sign" from god, and I believe that since they won't kill off a main character, especially Rick's son, they'll make the choice that's agonizing and then something good will happen, hence miracle.

I'm somewhat hoping that the person that shot the dear is Merle, there could be a pretty decent amount of story lines built from that. All in all, more zombie play, I like the dramaticness of it, but come on.

That "herd" in the first show was cool, but what happened to their awesome sense of smell? What also was whispered? That they're getting smarter?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Malkamaniac wrote: All in all, more zombie play, I like the dramaticness of it, but come on.
the show is more about humanity than it is zombies. they're just plot vehicles.
Spoiler:
my biggest issue in the "no way that would happen" category is how terribly carl's parents were at deciding where he should be. first, they let him roam around all the empty cars by himself. second, they told him to stay at the spot with an old man an a gimpy-armed guy (where hundreds of zombies just were) rather than go into the woods with all the capable people where it's easier to hide, and there are less zombies. and third, letting him hang out with his dad and the mental guy when it's getting dark instead of sending him back with the best hunter and the majority of the crowd.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

shmenguin wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote: All in all, more zombie play, I like the dramaticness of it, but come on.
the show is more about humanity than it is zombies. they're just plot vehicles.
Spoiler:
my biggest issue in the "no way that would happen" category is how terribly carl's parents were at deciding where he should be. first, they let him roam around all the empty cars by himself. second, they told him to stay at the spot with an old man an a gimpy-armed guy (where hundreds of zombies just were) rather than go into the woods with all the capable people where it's easier to hide, and there are less zombies. and third, letting him hang out with his dad and the mental guy when it's getting dark instead of sending him back with the best hunter and the majority of the crowd.
Spoiler:
It's also frustrating that Rick can't figure out something is up with his wife and best friend. How stupid do you have to be?