GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by shafnutz05 »

Heavy Seas IPA -- very, very smooth and easy-drinking IPA. More malty than say...Dogfish
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

shafnutz05 wrote:Heavy Seas IPA -- very, very smooth and easy-drinking IPA. More malty than say...Dogfish
Was that the one purple one marked Hops^3 on the bottle by chance? Have a /csb about that beer.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

the wicked child wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Heavy Seas IPA -- very, very smooth and easy-drinking IPA. More malty than say...Dogfish
Was that the one purple one marked Hops^3 on the bottle by chance? Have a /csb about that beer.
Yarrrrr (yes)
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

eddysnake wrote:
MWB wrote:Finally made it to the Whole Foods that recently opened up today. Didn't have a few of the things I was hoping for (KBS among them), but had some good choices. My selections:

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
how is this stuff?
Really, really good. Find imperial stouts a bit overwhelming sometimes. This one had great depth with a nice finish. Recommend.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

My first Anchor Porter in quite some time. Solid as always.

(I'm on a mission tonight)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

shafnutz05 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
Yarrrrr (yes)
Okay. So a couple/few years back my aunt came in to visit from Baltimore and brought me a 6 pack of that stuff... because it was purple (she is obsessed with the color). Now at that particular point in time, i was avoiding really hoppy beers because my stomach was essentially rejecting them by turning to pure acid (I fortunately made it through those dark times and I can now enjoy a fine IPA again)... so they basically sat in my parents' basement for a year or two.

Fast forward to 2 years ago around Halloween. teh Corv was going to be attending my cousin's Halloween party, and him being fond of IPAs, I figured it was time to bust them out. So I put a couple of them in the cooler along with all the other beer. As the party went on, we noticed that our cooler was missing. Apparently my cousin's youngest brother and his friends thought it would be cool to hijack the cooler and drink beer... as if we wouldn't notice. Well, one of them made the mistake of opening one of the Loose Cannons (and likely had never drank anything not called Coors or Budweiser), took one swig... and puked in the cat's litter box.

When my cousin found out, he went ape ****. Not even ebcause they took the booze, but because they yakked in the litter box. :lol:

teh Corv may or may not have posed for a picture with one of them passed out on the couch later. :pop:

I actually still have not tried the beer myself... those ones are too old now obviously (if they are even still around) and after they made someone puke, kinda lessened my interest in trying it.
Spoiler:
/csb
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

:lol:

Well, I can assure you, for an IPA, it's very smooth
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

i refuse to drink anything Heavy Seas because their packaging is really tacky
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Froggy wrote:i refuse to drink anything Heavy Seas because their packaging is really tacky
:D
I actually almost didn't try the loose cannon because of the label...
but it is a very good IPA.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Eismann wrote:New Holland Mole Ocho tonight.
Not bad. Would be better with food.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

What's next Eismann?
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Kraftster wrote:Weyerbacher Autumnfest is a personal favorite. Its nothing earth-shattering, but its a good fall beer that you can drink 6-8 of in a day. Sometimes fall beers can be too malty to be sessionable but not Autumnfest.
:thumb: It was very good...definitely more 'quantity-friendly' than your typical seasonal.

Bell's porter was...so good :shock: Not too heavy, just warming goodness.

In an attempt to completely shock my taste buds, I've moved on to the Southampton Double White. Also very good, but I'll be half way through the bottle before I clear my palate.

I love weekends :fist:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Back to the Old Monkeyshine. Fell asleep early last night after one.

I also grabbed a 6 pack of Gold Mine lager from Whole Foods when I picked the Monkeyshine up. $3 for a 6 pack should tell you all you need to know about how it tastes :lol:

Will be the go to after a couple of the Monkeyshines at 8.2%.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I have 1 1/2 days at work this week then going to Florida until the 27th. Beer experimentation extravaganza evening
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

shafnutz05 wrote:What's next Eismann?
J.W. Lee's Manchester Star Ale. This is one of my new faves, up there with Old Peculier. I'm definitely Malt Man. Also have a few Moo Thunders hanging around. A real nice, low key, easy-drinking milk stout.

Lastly, and I'm not touching this one, my buddy from Lancaster was up last week and brought me a very rare Scratch from the Troegs brewers. This one's a special hops ale. I'm giving it to RTBG as a gift next time I see him.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Nice! Am I the only one that can't watch movies when drinking? For some reason, they all put me in a very mellow mood and I don't really feel like drinking at that point. I have to have sports on
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

shafnutz05 wrote:Nice! Am I the only one that can't watch movies when drinking? For some reason, they all put me in a very mellow mood and I don't really feel like drinking at that point. I have to have sports on
Sports or video games. If I'm drinking while watching a movie, I fall asleep.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Which reminds me...

Anyone else done the fall asleep on the couch, with a beer in your hand routine?
It happened to me a few years ago and the end result was a bit jarring.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

columbia wrote:Which reminds me...

Anyone else done the fall asleep on the couch, with a beer in your hand routine?
It happened to me a few years ago and the end result was a bit jarring.
Not since college (I'm assuming we had similar results). A toddler and an infant keep you from holding your beer more than the time required to take a drink and put it back down.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

It was the first time I had ever done that.
What a mistake!
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

columbia wrote:It was the first time I had ever done that.
What a mistake!
The last time I did that, I fell asleep with the beer on the couch between my legs. Luckily I woke up with the confidence that I had not peed myself right away instead of the few seconds of panic that I might have.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

shafnutz05 wrote:Nice! Am I the only one that can't watch movies when drinking? For some reason, they all put me in a very mellow mood and I don't really feel like drinking at that point. I have to have sports on
I must admit that I'm seriously multi-mantasking now with a beer, the guitar and the netflix streaming. It does detract from the movie, but as I'm going for max value, I can live.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Bought a six-pack of Bards Beer from Whole Foods after reading an article on sorghum. Bards is gluten-free, and they use only water, hops, yeast and sorghum in the brew process. The label states no wheat, rye, barley or oats are used. The taste was light, had a slight grassy flavor and no structure. Not sure if the sorghum was the grassy taste, or if gluten-free translates to 'little flavor' in a different language, but Bards is not a beer that I will reach for again.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I've tried two gluten-free beers, and I absolutely hated them. There are a lot of reasons why I'm happy I can consume gluten, and beer is number one.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Not certain if it was the beer, but after drinking 3 on Saturday night, all night long my dreams were very vivid and detailed. It seemed like I awoke every 1/2 hour and each time I remembered in my dreams was being tasked with filling a different colored jar with dirt and then having to say what color jar was the last one I filled and what color was the current one.

No experience before with sorghum that I know of, but that stuff was like a hallucinogenic.