Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Gaucho wrote:
nocera wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Wouldn't it be the greatest thing of all time if we beat the Wings in the 09 Finals?
Yes. Right now I'd be happy to make the playoffs, though. I'm serious. We have 2 great forwards plus 3, maybe 4 decent forwards, including one top-line winger in Sykora. That's all.
And by God, it's already JULY!
C'mon, you know not I'm not the resident board fatalist. All I'm saying is we really need some wingers. Even last season we couldn't find a suitable LW for Sid.
And we didn't get Hossa until February. And we were fine. It's like this: if we can't aquire a winger for Sidney by the time the season starts, I have no doubts that we will aquire one via trade. Somebody will have to step up in the meantime, though.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

André wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I was made fun of for suggesting that a few weeks ago.

Oh well, I smell repeat!
Yeah I didn't get much support for the possibilllity of him signing a one year deal to contend for the cup either. Now that very thing actually happened.

But he signs with Detroit....

Good move by him though. Best chance of winning the cup and next year he's in the same spot again, with teams offering him crazy multi year deals.
they could get the other hossa...you know...the one that disappears in the playoffs...there is no guarantee that hossa will be a major contributor come playoff time...and hossa may have increased his odds of winning a cup by going to the best team on paper...but ottawa had the best team two years in a row and you know what he did to that formula...
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfannn »

So what is Shero's list to replace Hossa and Malone??

?
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

scals37 wrote:
TKovacs2 wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
NYPensFan wrote:Now the Pens have an incentive to beat Detroit next year in the cup finals! Wouldn't that be sweet?
I don't know if that is possible with Hossa on that team now. They may set a record for wins in a season, and then not lose a playoff game.
Wait a second, who signed with the Red Wings? Marian Hossa or Jesus Christ?

I think you need to reevaluate your opinion of Hossa if you think he's going to make the Red Wings the greatest team of all time.
lol seriously, were looking at a great player... not a legend
Added to a collection of ALREADY great players. The scale has been profoundly tipped in one direction. In a huffy agitated tone---> (OH HELL YEAH!!!!)
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by duke66 »

...this is interesting from the tsn article...

The $7.4 million that Hossa will earn next season, is the most Detroit would pay anyone - even an unrestricted free agent. The Red Wings were insistent that no one earn more money than six-time Norris Trophy winner Nicklas Lidstrom.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Penguins final offer to Hossa was 7yrs - 50 million. Rob Rossi is reporting the same thing on his blog
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

duke66 wrote:...this is interesting from the tsn article...

The $7.4 million that Hossa will earn next season, is the most Detroit would pay anyone - even an unrestricted free agent. The Red Wings were insistent that no one earn more money than six-time Norris Trophy winner Nicklas Lidstrom.
LIARS!!!
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

KG wrote:Penguins final offer to Hossa was 7yrs - 50 million. Rob Rossi is reporting the same thing on his blog
7 years??? That's ridiculous.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

SteelCityFan wrote:
passmaster16 wrote:
DMcGrew wrote:I don't think Hossa wanted to be here. That is all.
Exactly, obviously he feels that his best chance at a cup is with the Wings. I don't think it was a matter of Shero wanting to match the offer.
Everyone is on the Dtroit Dead Things bandwagon rightnow. Like another poster said, how many times has Dtroit had a stacked team only to get beat in the first or second round?
They have won 4 cups in 10 seasons played. I like 40%.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

nocera wrote:
KG wrote:Penguins final offer to Hossa was 7yrs - 50 million. Rob Rossi is reporting the same thing on his blog
okay so maybe hossa was looking out for the pens. :wink:

Me, too attached to the pens to think I could go put on the
wings jersey...but I'm just a fan.

Hopefully, monsters of the midway~ blackhawks will deal with the
wings when the time comes.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Scott »

nocera wrote:
It's not.

Even after year 4 or 5, some team would have always been interested in picking him up in a trade. (Insert Booby Clarke) or any of the like.
element1286
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by element1286 »

I guess this shows Hossa's belief on how good this Penguin team is.
ChiTraderRob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ChiTraderRob »

From TIOPS
Penguins final offer to Hossa was 7yrs - 50 million. Rob Rossi is reporting the same thing on his blog. Penguins are very disappointed and believed when Winter asked them to increase their offer to 7yrs, it would only be a moment of time before he signed.
Agents suck
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by PensBeerGeek »

duke66 wrote:...this is interesting from the tsn article...

I guess that Zetterburg extension isn't coming anytime soon then.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

nocera wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
nocera wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Wouldn't it be the greatest thing of all time if we beat the Wings in the 09 Finals?
Yes. Right now I'd be happy to make the playoffs, though. I'm serious. We have 2 great forwards plus 3, maybe 4 decent forwards, including one top-line winger in Sykora. That's all.
And by God, it's already JULY!
C'mon, you know not I'm not the resident board fatalist. All I'm saying is we really need some wingers. Even last season we couldn't find a suitable LW for Sid.
And we didn't get Hossa until February. And we were fine. It's like this: if we can't aquire a winger for Sidney by the time the season starts, I have no doubts that we will aquire one via trade. Somebody will have to step up in the meantime, though.
Yeah great idea, lets just trade draft picks and prospects every year. :roll:
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Scott wrote:Is MT really a problem with the players???

Makes you wonder.

Lets look...
City itself:
Pittsburgh or Detroit? Gee I wonder which is nicer? LOL
Term of contract? Pens offered a long term deal compared to one year of Detroit
Playing for a winner:
That is a wash since they both were in the finals.
Putting up big numbers;
Won't happen in Detroit.
Maybe he doesn't care for the coach!!??
A lot of people say Pittsburgh pretty crappy too. As for the big numbers, why wouldn't he do it in Detroit? As for winner, the Pens were the first loser, the Red Wings were the winner.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ginger »

shmenguin wrote:

he chose the best team. the best team can only afford him for 1 year. there you have it.
Y'know, I knew he was going to go. From the moment we picked him up, in my mind he was a rented player. He saw an opportunity to go to the playoffs & win a championship, & he signed on to do that.

But what bothers me at this time is the crap about 'money not meaning a lot - playing with this Penguins team that he enjoyed so much - wanting to stay with them & willing to take less money to do it - blah, blah, blah blah, blah blah!

Where did all that go, huh, Marian? Somebody waves a wad of thousand dollar bills under your nose & to hell with the long term contract & the "team you want to stay with". You actually had me sucked in, too.
You give good European players a bad name.

element1286
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by element1286 »

newarenanow wrote:
Scott wrote:Is MT really a problem with the players???

Makes you wonder.

Lets look...
City itself:
Pittsburgh or Detroit? Gee I wonder which is nicer? LOL
Term of contract? Pens offered a long term deal compared to one year of Detroit
Playing for a winner:
That is a wash since they both were in the finals.
Putting up big numbers;
Won't happen in Detroit.
Maybe he doesn't care for the coach!!??
A lot of people say Pittsburgh pretty crappy too. As for the big numbers, why wouldn't he do it in Detroit? As for winner, the Pens were the first loser, the Red Wings were the winner.
Yes, but I think the point is that a Cup contender was offering him a long-term deal. He would be able to have his cake and eat it too.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

So, a ham rains!!!!!
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Oh well.. no ill feelings. Time to move on.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by JarkkoVision »

I'm more interested in who we are getting, not who we are losing. Bye bye Hossa. It was good while it lasted.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

well... i have to say as much as people want to put down that buzz on the burg site it was the only site i've seen saying early this morning they thought hossa would sign with detroit.

a guess a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in awhile but they have been right about many of the issues relating to the pens lately
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Ginger wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

he chose the best team. the best team can only afford him for 1 year. there you have it.
Y'know, I knew he was going to go. From the moment we picked him up, in my mind he was a rented player. He saw an opportunity to go to the playoffs & win a championship, & he signed on to do that.

But what bothers me at this time is the crap about 'money not meaning a lot - playing with this Penguins team that he enjoyed so much - wanting to stay with them & willing to take less money to do it - blah, blah, blah blah, blah blah!

Where did all that go, huh, Marian? Somebody waves a wad of thousand dollar bills under your nose & to hell with the long term contract & the "team you want to stay with". You actually had me sucked in, too.

Well said Ginger. I literally feel sick, I got sucked in to a bit.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Ginger wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

What does his origin have to do with anything?
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

knives of ice wrote:well... i have to say as much as people want to put down that buzz on the burg site it was the only site i've seen saying early this morning they thought hossa would sign with detroit.

a guess a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in awhile but they have been right about many of the issues relating to the pens lately
You have a good point there, they did say he preferred Detroit.