Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:As drafts go this is a clear A. No wasted picks, no reaches, filled a lot of needs.
I agree, they got 3 starters, TE that’ll play a ton, rotational LB that might push Highsmith out the door if they can’t afford him, not sure about the guard, but he was almost Mr Irrelevant so if he pans out great, if not doesn’t hurt the draft.

The last 3 drafts have been pretty awesome.

Cory Trice is the most intriguing prospect. He was projected to go in the 4-5th round. Great size and speed and honestly probably dropped 3-4 rounds because this was such a deep CB draft.

Reads to be a project, but I think worst case scenario is good special teams guy. I think Patrick Peterson will probably be able to mentor him as well as Porter and maybe audition for a coaching job in a few years.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cory-tric ... 6c2e8c1619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just to add. Chase Claypool for Joey Porter Jr. Do I even need to ask you who won this trade? 8-)
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Daniel wrote:
DelPen wrote:As drafts go this is a clear A. No wasted picks, no reaches, filled a lot of needs.
I agree, they got 3 starters, TE that’ll play a ton, rotational LB that might push Highsmith out the door if they can’t afford him, not sure about the guard, but he was almost Mr Irrelevant so if he pans out great, if not doesn’t hurt the draft.

The last 3 drafts have been pretty awesome.

Cory Trice is the most intriguing prospect. He was projected to go in the 4-5th round. Great size and speed and honestly probably dropped 3-4 rounds because this was such a deep CB draft.

Reads to be a project, but I think worst case scenario is good special teams guy. I think Patrick Peterson will probably be able to mentor him as well as Porter and maybe audition for a coaching job in a few years.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cory-tric ... 6c2e8c1619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just to add. Chase Claypool for Joey Porter Jr. Do I even need to ask you who won this trade? 8-)
To add, Trice was in Brugler's top 100. He had an ACL injury and was in a leg brace til Oct '22 I believe. Could be a real steal.
Also, people downplay Benton but he can play anywhere on the line. And the coach said they're going to start him off at NT. Just where they need him. The pass rush will evolve and get better and his consistency should improve too learning under Cam.
Coaches also said Herbig will begin on the outside. Supposedly he's good at coverage and can play inside too. Can't find much wrong with this draft atm. Even though I wanted someone other than Porter. :lol:
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Good first showing and have to give Canada some props. The route by Pickens and Austin for touchdowns were legit NFL routes and Pickett/Rudolph led the receivers perfectly.

Man, Austin’s speed is something else. On that jet speed he got that boost to get around the defender that I hope can transition to regular season games.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Bills have been a dumpster fire all night but the Steelers top to bottom came to play.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:Bills have been a dumpster fire all night but the Steelers top to bottom came to play.
We'll see how the season goes, but so far the Steelers look to be running an NFL style offense with audibles and route running that doesn't involve catching the call and falling down.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Starters looking good again, I actually feel good coming into the season of making the playoffs.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Really liking Connor Heyward this preseason.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The lone bright spot this game for Atlanta just had his elbow wrecked by a stufffed pass fumble.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

I'm not usually someone who gets excited about preseason, but I'm seeing fundamental things that make me think this offense can be really good. Probably not top 3-5 but I think top 10 is doable, short of injuries of course.

Pickett is showing nice chemistry with Johnson, Pickens, & Freiermuth and should get good chemistry with Robinson, Washington, and Austin. Heyward will be the safety blanket get us 3-5 yard guy.

I think Harris & Warren will have about 1800 or more yards and McFarland can be the homerun guy.

If Canada can be an NFL caliber (not even good just NFL caliber) OC/play caller I think this offense will improve and head into Dec/Jan on a roll.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

There was actually a team that traded something of value for Kendrick Green. Texans GM must have had just the audio on during the Falcons game because their announcers were going crazy for Green.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:There was actually a team that traded something of value for Kendrick Green. Texans GM must have had just the audio on during the Falcons game because their announcers were going crazy for Green.
Khan also got value for Dotson and if he gets value for either of the punters he'll be a shoo in for GM of the decade. Claypool trade alone makes him GM of the year.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Well, that wasn’t a good start
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I did not expect the offense to look like total **** today.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Too early for fire Canada?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pruezy11881 wrote:Too early for fire Canada?
This is a complete team meltdown. The defense can’t stop the offense and the offense can’t execute.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Daniel wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:Too early for fire Canada?
This is a complete team meltdown. The defense can’t stop the offense and the offense can’t execute.
Two things can be true at once.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

The defense looks like garbage and the offense somehow looks even worse than last year. It’s like what they did during preseason was an illusion and Canada reverted to his usual plays of garbage that everyone knows is coming and take 5 years to develop.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Not a huge Steelers fan these days, but still keep up with them and watching....

--SF defense is really good, but it kind of looks like a AA High School team defense could walk through this offensive line.

--I don't know if Pickett has really played that bad (didn't see the first INT); but from watching the Dolphins the last few years, I have seen all the signs of a horrible offensive line wrecking pretty much everything, and that's what I'm seeing here.

--The defense is the biggest stumper today. I know Heyward and Watt have been hurt, but SF has been dissecting this defense at will.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Weird that this offense under 3 different starting QB’s only looks good in hurry up when the OC had less input on the plays called.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:Not a huge Steelers fan these days, but still keep up with them and watching....

--SF defense is really good, but it kind of looks like a AA High School team defense could walk through this offensive line.

--I don't know if Pickett has really played that bad (didn't see the first INT); but from watching the Dolphins the last few years, I have seen all the signs of a horrible offensive line wrecking pretty much everything, and that's what I'm seeing here.

--The defense is the biggest stumper today. I know Heyward and Watt have been hurt, but SF has been dissecting this defense at will.
The interception wasn’t the best decision or the best throw but Johnson slipped making it an easy INT. Pickett just looks off is all, not bad per say just not having great rhythm.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The only thing worse than Canada’s play book is sloppy execution of that trash.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

The best past of the day was the brilliant statement from the announcers in the first half... "You just don't expect this kind of play from a Mike Tomlin coached team..."

Apparently the poor guy has been living under a rock for the past decade or so.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Have to give credit to the Browns player who knocked the ball out of Fitzpatrick’s hands but ended up into Highsmith for 6.

But now the defense is back to last week on this drive. Great.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Cut Gunner now.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Maybe I was right about Picket. That was horrible.