George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by eddysnake »

Just got caught up, nice terminator milk carton kill in 2 weeks ago episode. When did the mother of dragons get skinny, her waist is extremely small now. I liked the newest episode.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Hrmmm... I was just thinking. (Season 5/AFFC spoilers)
Spoiler:
Based on Cersei's gift of a ship for Myrcella... I was just thinking that perhaps this is setting up an alternate plot line to the failed crowning attempt. Way too early speculation probably, but I am suspicious of that "gift". This is Cersei after all.

Or perhaps Doran figures it out and sends the double on the ship instead.

At any rate, I'm thinking this was not a throw away line in the long run.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Spoiler:
Originally figured they'd save Lysa flying for the next to last scene of the season with Lady Stoneheart being the last. A little surprised they played that card this early.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Rocco wrote:
Spoiler:
Originally figured they'd save Lysa flying for the next to last scene of the season with Lady Stoneheart being the last. A little surprised they played that card this early.
Spoiler:
I'm actually not surprised because they cast the Lords Declarant or whatever so it had to happen by episode 8 at the latest.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

the wicked child wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'm actually not surprised because they cast the Lords Declarant or whatever so it had to happen by episode 8 at the latest.
Spoiler:
I try to avoid paying attention to stuff like that or upcoming episode titles so that I'm at least a little surprised when things happen.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Enjoyed the episode quite a bit despite it being fairly light on action. As always, went by WAY too fast.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

the wicked child wrote:Enjoyed the episode quite a bit despite it being fairly light on action. As always, went by WAY too fast.
:thumb: Very good cliffhanger episode. Every storyline has me wanting more right now.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I feel like they've largely gotten much better at interweaving the various story lines over time. That has to be incredibly difficult. It didn't work so well back in Season 2, but they've been getting better at it every season.

There is an occasional scene that sticks out like a sore thumb... like the Dreadfort scene last week... but I think they have the hang of it now. That will be important going forward.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Still the same deal...kings landing and the river lands stuff that isn't Brienne is good. Everything else is pretty boring.

But they've accurately brought the book to life in that regard.

At least things are about to get interesting up north.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

the wicked child wrote:Enjoyed the episode quite a bit despite it being fairly light on action. As always, went by WAY too fast.
Got the body count up early in the episode.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

The Mountain is huge. But I expected him to look a little more rough around the edges.

All in all a good episode.

Seems like some story lines are moving quicker than they should while others are being extended, but that's to be expected a little.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Loved it. As soon as the viper came into the dungeon I said 'This is gonna be good." Not disappointed. I feel that this episode moved the story along A LOT. Well done.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Spoiler:
Gonna be sad to see the Viper go. He's one character I like better on screen than I did in the books.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

blackjack68 wrote:The Mountain is huge. But I expected him to look a little more rough around the edges.

Seems like some story lines are moving quicker than they should while others are being extended, but that's to be expected a little.

You could tell they were using camera tricks to make him look bigger. They never showed a simple shot of him standing next to anyone, I don't think.

It's a shame they couldn't get the guy from season 1 back. He was legit.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

blackjack68 wrote:
Spoiler:
Gonna be sad to see the Viper go. He's one character I like better on screen than I did in the books.
Yes, totally. I'm so impressed by this character on the show.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The guy playing the Mountain now is significantly taller than Lena Headey. I don't know offhand how tall she is, but she never struck me as being short.

In regards to Pedro Pascal, there was a ridiculous amount of :scared: on the net when he was cast as the Red Viper... which has proven to be silly. He has done an amazing job.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

shmenguin wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:The Mountain is huge. But I expected him to look a little more rough around the edges.

You could tell they were using camera tricks to make him look bigger. They never showed a simple shot of him standing next to anyone, I don't think.

6' 8.5" 403 lbs. He's enormous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haf%C3%BE% ... 3%B6rnsson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

stopper40 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

6' 8.5" 403 lbs. He's enormous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haf%C3%BE% ... 3%B6rnsson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And also is a member of Sigur Ros. Just kidding. He makes the third Mountain cast for the show?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Oberyn was one of my favorites in the book and hes better in the show.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:The guy playing the Mountain now is significantly taller than Lena Headey. I don't know offhand how tall she is, but she never struck me as being short.

holy macaroni, that dude's big. last night, they had the one shot where the camera was on the ground facing up, and it looked like he was on lifts or something. my mistake.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

"Nothing could be worse than this."

"Maybe nothing is worse than this."

"Nothing isn't better or worse than anything. Nothing is just nothing."

Oh mercy ...
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

shmenguin wrote:
the wicked child wrote:The guy playing the Mountain now is significantly taller than Lena Headey. I don't know offhand how tall she is, but she never struck me as being short.

holy macaroni, that dude's big. last night, they had the one shot where the camera was on the ground facing up, and it looked like he was on lifts or something. my mistake.
In defense of your original comment, he is the shortest actor the play the Mountain. Conan Stevens was 7' and Ian Whyte was 7'1". So screw Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson and his raw powerlifting total of 2,225 pounds and his second place finish at World's Strongest Man.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

eddysnake wrote:Just got caught up, nice terminator milk carton kill in 2 weeks ago episode. When did the mother of dragons get skinny, her waist is extremely small now. I liked the newest episode.

Oddly enough, the Mother of Dragons probably got skinny due to her training to be Sarah Connor in the Terminator reboot.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Just got caught up, nice terminator milk carton kill in 2 weeks ago episode. When did the mother of dragons get skinny, her waist is extremely small now. I liked the newest episode.

Oddly enough, the Mother of Dragons probably got skinny due to her training to be Sarah Connor in the Terminator reboot.
Um....Daenerys is the Mother of Dragons
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I really like what they are doing with Alliser Thorne being portrayed as a really bad leader compared to Jon Snow. Makes you want to punch him in the face every time.

Again, the new Daario just does not work. I don't buy anything he says in regards to what the character is supposed to be.