LGP DIY House edition

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: LGP DIY House edition

Post by meow »

Going over existing wood clapboard with fan fold, then furring strips. No insulating.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Speaking of homes, does anyone have experience recently with Ryan homes or heartland homes
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Speaking of homes, does anyone have experience recently with Ryan homes or heartland homes
My cousin's husband is a PM for Ryan homes. Not sure how helpful that is in your case because I know don't know how good their work is.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ajh2298 »

I know this is not a DIY question but I am looking for some insight. Any guesses what a bathroom vent/exhaust fan cost to install? If it means anything the attic is above the bathroom for running the vent to the outside.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Electricians usually charge about 50 an hour. Is there already electric there or no?
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ajh2298 »

mac5155 wrote:Electricians usually charge about 50 an hour. Is there already electric there or no?
I figured they could piggyback that off the existing lights in the room.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Piggybacking would probably be against code.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

:?: But aren't many bathroom fans in combo with a light? I believe for both my brother's house and my mother's house they have light/fan combos that both come on with a single switch.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Possibly. I'm not sure to be honest. I just know that some things that were considered up to code 20 ..30..40 years ago might not be now.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

skullman80 wrote:Possibly. I'm not sure to be honest. I just know that some things that were considered up to code 20 ..30..40 years ago might not be now.
They'd just run the fan from the existing switch's power. I mean...You wouldn't have a dedicated line from the circuit breaker to the fan, would you?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Yeah, if there's a light there then you'd just get a combo light and fan. Sometimes you can piggyback but it's not ideal. If there's a light there that you want to remove and put in a vent/light combo then it should be about an hour job. The electrician will most likely just vent it to the attic though and you or a contractor can vent it to the outside.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ajh2298 »

There is no light already in the ceiling. The light for the bathroom comes from two lights that are mounted to both sides of the medicine cabinet.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

ah gotcha. Then it will be a bit tougher unless you have an open junction box. Plus you'll have to run a switch too. I'd say you're probably looking at $200 or so but I know nothing about your wiring/house.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Went to Construction Junction today. Great place if you know the dimensions of your space and/or have a definite view about what you want. Awesome stuff, but I didn't end up getting anything...though I wanted to. Very organized.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

i often forget that place exists
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Put up a kitchen backspalsh of 3/4 inch tile (on 12x12 sheets) and around the kitchen window sill is the only place where a few spots would not fit a tile. Debating if I should figure out a way to cut the little tiles or should I just dremel out some space of the window sill molding and then seal it around with some caulk or grout? not more than 1/4 inch needs carved out.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

What are the tiles made of?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

meow wrote:What are the tiles made of?
Some are glass and some are ceramic. The size is what concerns me with being able to cut.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

DelPen wrote:
meow wrote:What are the tiles made of?
Some are glass and some are ceramic. The size is what concerns me with being able to cut.
Without a tile saw, I'd trim the window sill down. Especially if you have a dremel.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by schreibdog »

I need to get on my roof to clean the gutters. The easiest access to my roof is from my deck, but I'm concerned that the ladder will slide around on the wood. What's the best way to support it so it doesn't move? A quick home depot search didn't turn up much... maybe I'm not searching for the right term. I have a couple 50 lb bags of concrete mix that I could set in front of the legs but I'd hate to be halfway up the ladder only to find out that didn't work (or stuck on the roof lol)
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

schreibdog wrote:I need to get on my roof to clean the gutters. The easiest access to my roof is from my deck, but I'm concerned that the ladder will slide around on the wood. What's the best way to support it so it doesn't move? A quick home depot search didn't turn up much... maybe I'm not searching for the right term. I have a couple 50 lb bags of concrete mix that I could set in front of the legs but I'd hate to be halfway up the ladder only to find out that didn't work (or stuck on the roof lol)
That would work. Another human could also be of service.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by schreibdog »

Sure. And doing this without anyone around would probably be a bad idea :lol: I think I got it figured out. Thanks!
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Screws into a piece of wood in the deck would work. Then remove the screws when finished
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by schreibdog »

mac5155 wrote:Screws into a piece of wood in the deck would work. Then remove the screws when finished

:thumb:
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

I'm building a small wooden porch over an existing cement stoop, which was about 2 inches out of level and square. The stoop sits in front of a small entryway addition to our house and is only slightly more narrow than the entryway, leaving only enough wiggle room to add the 4x4 structure to the outside of the new porch without having the porch be wider than the entryway. As a result, it too was built out of square, but only by about 1/2" to 3/4".

Now my problem. Since the new porch is out of square, when I lay the decking perpendicular to the house, the overhang on the sides varies from front to back. Like a fool, I simply adjusted the decking so it was parallel to the porch frame, and as a result the decking is slightly angled coming off the house -- in other words, it's not quite square. My wife didn't even notice until I pointed it out, and even then she said she could hardly tell -- but I can tell, and while I don't want to back out all of the deck screws and readjust, I also am torn as to whether I am okay with it as is.

What would some of you do? Back out the screws and lay the decking square to the house and let the overhang vary on the sides -- or leave it as is, meaning it's slightly out of square with the house?