Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfannn »

First the Pens lose Melichar, and now HOSSA
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

scals37 wrote:one thing that can be pulled possibly positive from this is the fact that he signed for less than anticipated which should really lower the bar for how much we will sign a good winger for.... i doubt anyone will be stupid enough to demand near or over that
That has no bearing on any other decision. i don't think hossa signing for 7.4 is going to stop other teams from offering a ton of money to other players.
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cosmo_kramer »

wondermoose wrote:Keeping Hossa was pushing the limit as far as what the Pens could handle, and I wasn't terribly excited about resigning him. I am a bigger fan of the smaller signings, the 2-3 million men and paying the big players the big bucks. However, Detroit..... Ouch.
I agree.. Financially and long-term, I'd rather have Jagr at 7-8 million for 1-2 years than Hossa at 7-8 million for 6-7 years. If we signed Hossa for that long, it would've made it THAT much harder to keep Fleury and Staal long term.

I think people throwing Hossa under the bus don't understand that he did probably the smartest thing for his career. I don't understand the people arguing, "oh he could get injured then where would he be?" That's always a possibility for professional players.

Hossa made a smart decision going to the top contender for 1 year -- at a more than respectable price; and an 85 percent chance at increasing his offensive-appeal. He'll come out next year as one of the top free agents again next year, and then he can sign his multi-year, 9 million dollar contract. If he signed with Edmonton, he'd have his money and security, but his chances at a cup would be EXTREMELY low.

Talk about sour grapes from the fans.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Wouldn't it be the greatest thing of all time if we beat the Wings in the 09 Finals?
Ben please be realistic. I'd love that also but its just not gonna happen. :(
Haha hey man, I'm not saying it going to happen...but no one has any idea whats going to happen this upcoming season. There is no such thing as a sure thing in sports.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

element1286 wrote:This is one of the most baffling decisions I have ever seen. And the rich keep on getting richer. Why Detroit? Why one year?

he chose the best team. the best team can only afford him for 1 year. there you have it.
element1286
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by element1286 »

Cosmo_kramer wrote:
wondermoose wrote:Keeping Hossa was pushing the limit as far as what the Pens could handle, and I wasn't terribly excited about resigning him. I am a bigger fan of the smaller signings, the 2-3 million men and paying the big players the big bucks. However, Detroit..... Ouch.
I agree.. Financially and long-term, I'd rather have Jagr at 7-8 million for 1-2 years than Hossa at 7-8 million for 6-7 years. If we signed Hossa for that long, it would've made it THAT much harder to keep Fleury and Staal long term.

I think people throwing Hossa under the bus don't understand that he did probably the smartest thing for his career. I don't understand the people arguing, "oh he could get injured then where would he be?" That's always a possibility for professional players.

Hossa made a smart decision going to the top contender for 1 year -- at a more than respectable price; and an 85 percent chance at increasing his offensive-appeal. He'll come out next year as one of the top free agents again next year, and then he can sign his multi-year, 9 million dollar contract. If he signed with Edmonton, he'd have his money and security, but his chances at a cup would be EXTREMELY low.

Because if he signs a long term deal and gets injured he still gets paid.
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfannn »

Let's call up Ryan Stone and bring back Crusher and just play with a bunch of centers.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Wizard15 wrote:You shouldnt boo Hossa, he stuck to his word. He wanted to play for a winner and get a cup asap. He knows better than any of us which team would have a better shot at a cup next year. He played his ass off here and hopefully taught some of the guys on this team how important it is to play 2 way hockey. It hurts now, but I think Ray has some ideas on how to re-tool this roster.

Remember fellow pens fans, you are going to have Crosby and Malkin playing together for a long time, better days are ahead.
He is 29...not 36...this get a cup mentality...where was it when he was with ottawa?....nowhere....in pittsburgh was the first place he showed he even cared about winning in the playoffs...not just collecting his pay....he was MIA in the playoffs for years....where was it in atlanta..nowhere...he signed for money and was a no show the year they made it...his own self image is in question if he believes he is entitled to a cup....win one...he wants one handed to him....im not bitter...these are facts...
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

farnham16 wrote:Wouldn't it be the greatest thing of all time if we beat the Wings in the 09 Finals?
Yes. Right now I'd be happy to make the playoffs, though. I'm serious. We have 2 great forwards plus 3, maybe 4 decent forwards, including one top-line winger in Sykora. That's all.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by duke66 »

...all i know is, the pens still have a better shot getting out of the east than the wings do getting out of the west...
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cosmo_kramer »

element1286 wrote:
Cosmo_kramer wrote:

Because if he signs a long term deal and gets injured he still gets paid.
I think you missed the point...

Players understand they're taking a risk by going for a short-term contract, they're weighing risk vs. potential.
Last edited by Cosmo_kramer on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

duke66 wrote:...all i know is, the pens still have a better shot getting out of the east than the wings do getting out of the west...
How so?
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by scals37 »

TKovacs2 wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
NYPensFan wrote:Now the Pens have an incentive to beat Detroit next year in the cup finals! Wouldn't that be sweet?
I don't know if that is possible with Hossa on that team now. They may set a record for wins in a season, and then not lose a playoff game.
Wait a second, who signed with the Red Wings? Marian Hossa or Jesus Christ?

I think you need to reevaluate your opinion of Hossa if you think he's going to make the Red Wings the greatest team of all time.
lol seriously, were looking at a great player... not a legend
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Gaucho wrote:
Yes. Right now I'd be happy to make the playoffs, though. I'm serious. We have 2 great forwards plus 3, maybe 4 decent forwards, including one top-line winger in Sykora. That's all.
And by God, it's already JULY!
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

This no doubt has to be the work of Slick Dick Winter.

Mr. Winter, may your beer go flat on Christmas Day.

J.S. = absolutely stunned!!
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

scals37 wrote:
TKovacs2 wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
NYPensFan wrote:Now the Pens have an incentive to beat Detroit next year in the cup finals! Wouldn't that be sweet?
I don't know if that is possible with Hossa on that team now. They may set a record for wins in a season, and then not lose a playoff game.
Wait a second, who signed with the Red Wings? Marian Hossa or Jesus Christ?

I think you need to reevaluate your opinion of Hossa if you think he's going to make the Red Wings the greatest team of all time.
lol seriously, were looking at a great player... not a legend
will smith was legend
element1286
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by element1286 »

pronovost19 wrote:
Wizard15 wrote:You shouldnt boo Hossa, he stuck to his word. He wanted to play for a winner and get a cup asap. He knows better than any of us which team would have a better shot at a cup next year. He played his ass off here and hopefully taught some of the guys on this team how important it is to play 2 way hockey. It hurts now, but I think Ray has some ideas on how to re-tool this roster.

Remember fellow pens fans, you are going to have Crosby and Malkin playing together for a long time, better days are ahead.
He is 29...not 36...this get a cup mentality...where was it when he was with ottawa?....nowhere....in pittsburgh was the first place he showed he even cared about winning in the playoffs...not just collecting his pay....he was MIA in the playoffs for years....where was it in atlanta..nowhere...he signed for money and was a no show the year they made it...his own self image is in question if he believes he is entitled to a cup....win one...he wants one handed to him....im not bitter...these are facts...
I somewhat agree with this. I think that he is looking for his one Cup win, and then wants to sign the biggest contract after next year no matter who offers it. Hopefully he doesn't get it.
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfannn »

Let's go egg Winter's house - who's with me!!?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

nocera wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
C'mon, you know not I'm not the resident board fatalist. All I'm saying is we really need some wingers. Even last season we couldn't find a suitable LW for Sid.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

newarenanow wrote:I was made fun of for suggesting that a few weeks ago.

Oh well, I smell repeat!
Yeah I didn't get much support for the possibilllity of him signing a one year deal to contend for the cup either. Now that very thing actually happened.

But he signs with Detroit....

Good move by him though. Best chance of winning the cup and next year he's in the same spot again, with teams offering him crazy multi year deals. Hah, imagine him getting the cup in June 09 and then a long term fat contract in some warm city three weeks later.
Last edited by André on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Scott »

Is MT really a problem with the players???

Makes you wonder.

Lets look...
City itself:
Pittsburgh or Detroit? Gee I wonder which is nicer? LOL
Term of contract? Pens offered a long term deal compared to one year of Detroit
Playing for a winner:
That is a wash since they both were in the finals.
Putting up big numbers;
Won't happen in Detroit.
Maybe he doesn't care for the coach!!??
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Gaucho wrote:
So we have one great forward more than we had for a long stretch last year.

You all do know we were still the best team in the east BEFORE we traded for Hossa, when malone was inconsistant and orpik was playing LW on the 4th line, right?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Image STUNNED
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by duke66 »

Gaucho wrote:
duke66 wrote:...all i know is, the pens still have a better shot getting out of the east than the wings do getting out of the west...
How so?
...the east is still pretty wide open, and other than tampa's big splash, no east team so far has improved drastically...sure the pens still have holes to fill, and may not be AS good this season, but with sid and geno in tow, that's always going to put the pens near the top...meantime out west, u still have very good teams in anaheim, san jose and dallas...plus as i mentioned earlier, the wings COULD have the stanley cup hangover...so i'm not saying the pens will be in the finals and the wings won't, but i think the road is a tad easier coming out of the east...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Gaucho wrote:
nocera wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
C'mon, you know not I'm not the resident board fatalist. All I'm saying is we really need some wingers. Even last season we couldn't find a suitable LW for Sid.
No question, but Shero knows this, too. I trust he will bring in some guns for our two young trigger men.