Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Hossa to DET

Post by Eismann »

Freakin' HOssa.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Stay tuned sports fans, a Hossa "stunned" commercial without the cup will be filmed soon.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by WWGRD »

Fact: Whatever team Hossa is on, will LOSE in the Stanley Cup Finals.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Durbano wrote:Interesting to see Dejan writing about hockey again. From Monday's PG, about Hossa:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09145/972498-61.stm
Welcome home Dejan!

I love Hossa' s comment, can't be signing single year contracts all the time, he has a family to support. That sounds NFL ish ...

I didn't go to that game in February, I couldn't, still can't bear to see the wings...I can understand though, why the fans had to get all that "hossa to det" venom out of their systems. I hope if any future wings/pens game comes to be, fans remember what is at stake.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

I think Hossa will see why doing what he did was a mistake. As if the Pens will need any extra motivation, he's going to provide it in the Finals. Yes, it's somewhat admirable that he didn't just go for the money somewhere, it was well within his rights, etc etc etc. But the bottom line is that what he did was a direct slap in the face to Sidney Crosby and the rest of the Pens. Publicly, Crosby did not speak out against Hossa, but you know that deep down he had to have hated what Hossa did and will do everything in his power to prove to Hossa that he chose the wrong team. We saw how Crosby responded to Semin's disrespect. With the stakes even higher in the Finals, I think we'll see an even higher gear to Crosby's game. He was in tears last year when they lost. He's not going to let it happen again, especially with a judas on the other side.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Henry Hank wrote:I think Hossa will see why doing what he did was a mistake. As if the Pens will need any extra motivation, he's going to provide it in the Finals. Yes, it's somewhat admirable that he didn't just go for the money somewhere, it was well within his rights, etc etc etc. But the bottom line is that what he did was a direct slap in the face to Sidney Crosby and the rest of the Pens. Publicly, Crosby did not speak out against Hossa, but you know that deep down he had to have hated what Hossa did and will do everything in his power to prove to Hossa that he chose the wrong team. We saw how Crosby responded to Semin's disrespect. With the stakes even higher in the Finals, I think we'll see an even higher gear to Crosby's game. He was in tears last year when they lost. He's not going to let it happen again, especially with a judas on the other side.
But a caveat to that is Hossa will also be playing his ass off to avoid looking like the biggest idiot in the NHL.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

Corvidae wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I think Hossa will see why doing what he did was a mistake. As if the Pens will need any extra motivation, he's going to provide it in the Finals. Yes, it's somewhat admirable that he didn't just go for the money somewhere, it was well within his rights, etc etc etc. But the bottom line is that what he did was a direct slap in the face to Sidney Crosby and the rest of the Pens. Publicly, Crosby did not speak out against Hossa, but you know that deep down he had to have hated what Hossa did and will do everything in his power to prove to Hossa that he chose the wrong team. We saw how Crosby responded to Semin's disrespect. With the stakes even higher in the Finals, I think we'll see an even higher gear to Crosby's game. He was in tears last year when they lost. He's not going to let it happen again, especially with a judas on the other side.
But a caveat to that is Hossa will also be playing his ass off to avoid looking like the biggest idiot in the NHL.
Hossa is a heartless Slovenian.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

Will he? He's been a labeled a playoff choker for most of his career. After finally having a strong postseason last year - playing with Sidney Crosby - he's basically back to where he used to be. He's had about three good games in these playoffs, otherwise he's mostly been a non-factor. So far, he doesn't seem like a guy who's playing like he wants to prove he can contribute to a Cup winner. He's playing more like a guy who wants to do it the easy way and thinks if he's on a great team, he doesn't have to do as much.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Corvidae wrote:But a caveat to that is Hossa will also be playing his ass off to avoid looking like the biggest idiot in the NHL.
For some reason, I think that he couldn't care any more about that. He's making his money, and although he wants to win the cup, I don't think that he'll put forth any extra effort to do so.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Henry Hank wrote: He's playing more like a guy who wants to do it the easy way and thinks if he's on a great team, he doesn't have to do as much.
:thumb:
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

tjand72 wrote:
Corvidae wrote:But a caveat to that is Hossa will also be playing his ass off to avoid looking like the biggest idiot in the NHL.
For some reason, I think that he couldn't care any more about that. He's making his money, and although he wants to win the cup, I don't think that he'll put forth any extra effort to do so.
He could have made more money and for a longer term, but he went there to win a cup. I expect a full on assault from Hossa if the finals match up there way it looks. Not just to win, but not to lose to Pittsburgh.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Corvidae wrote: He could have made more money and for a longer term, but he went there to win a cup. I expect a full on assault from Hossa if the finals match up there way it looks. Not just to win, but not to lose to Pittsburgh.
I expect that too and considering the Pens' past problems in controlling snipers that need to be covered like a Hossa, Heatley, Kovelchuk, AO, etc., he could have a big impact. This isn't some soff wimp like Semin who is afraid to play in high traffic areas. He's going to bring it and I hope DB puts Scuds/Gill against whatever line Hossa winds up on. Orpik would spend his time trying to run Hossa along the boards and pucks would end up in the net from him getting caught out of position.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Logically speaking, Hossa's choice was strictly common sense. If you want to first and foremost win a SC, going to the defending champion who isn't losing any players is a good start. When you happened to be a key contributor to the runner-up team and leave them to join #1, that's even better.

Sid is already at the top of his game and I doubt really cares at this point about Hossa; he wants to win the Cup and that means going through the Wings' team, regardless of their line up. The Hossa story is great media and message board fodder, but hardly much of a motivator to players who already are going to be as motivated as they can be in trying to win the SC.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Corvidae wrote:
tjand72 wrote:
He could have made more money and for a longer term, but he went there to win a cup. I expect a full on assault from Hossa if the finals match up there way it looks. Not just to win, but not to lose to Pittsburgh.
Couldn't agree more. If the Pens and Wings both make it to the Finals, I expect a full-on Casket Match. *Cue Paul Bearer*
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Corvidae wrote:
tjand72 wrote:
The "extra effort" is what I'm getting at. When he came to the Pens, he knew that there was a good core, but that he might have to step up his game to get a great payday. Coming from an underachieving Atlanta team, he had to prove himself. The end of the season and the playoffs were a good time for him to do that. After that, he weighed his options, and it seemed to him that Detroit offered the best opportunity to win the cup.

Now that he's on the "best team", he hasn't had to step up to the plate. He averaged about 1 point a game during the regular season, which is pretty good. In the playoffs, he's been below a point a game. Sure, last game he scored 2 nice goals, but there hasn't been any impetus to do any more than that.

He's still fishing for a payday, but it's a bit more secure now that he's put together 2 relatively high profile seasons on 2 high profile teams. I'm sure that he wants the cup but, following his reputation as a bad playoff performer, he hasn't really stepped up his playoff performance. Last year was an aberration.

I don't think that he's trying any harder this year than he did last year. If he is, he's doing it wrong.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

Mark Eaton
# Games 16
# Goals 4
# Assists 5
# Points 9

Marian Hossa
# Games 15
# Goals 6
# Assists 6
# Points 12
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Member »

Kicksave wrote:Mark Eaton
# Games 16
# Goals 4
# Assists 5
# Points 9

Marian Hossa
# Games 15
# Goals 6
# Assists 6
# Points 12
So do we restructure Eaton's contract in the off season? 7-years, $49-million?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

tjand72 wrote:I don't think that he's trying any harder this year than he did last year. If he is, he's doing it wrong.
Tell me this wouldn't be the greatest picture of all time...

Detroit loses to Pittsburgh in the finals, shot of Hossa looking sad, caption says: Winning the Stanley Cup - Ur doin it wrong!!!

I hope I hope I get to make that picture!!!
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

noooooooooooooooossssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa to hhoooooooooooosssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

I think Crosby responded more to the him vs Ovy hype and not Semin (altough that might've been part of it too of course). Definetely agree with you though. His pride and competetiveness definetely will be a major factor, and a Detroit hate combined with wanting to stick it to Hossa should contribute to that. I think he'll be possessed again like he was several times vs Was. It'll be awesome.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

did anyone hear hossa after their game the other day, saying "this is why i came to detroit" well uh,, the pens arent exactly losing by 3-4 as of late.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

mac5155 wrote:did anyone hear hossa after their game the other day, saying "this is why i came to detroit" well uh,, the pens arent exactly losing by 3-4 as of late.
But Detroit is still winning and will be in the Finals too. He hasn't been wrong yet.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

His "seeking a longer-term deal" comments just re-ignited the pilot light of my HOssa Hate Stove.

Frickin' HOssa.

:evil:
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Corvidae wrote:
tjand72 wrote:I don't think that he's trying any harder this year than he did last year. If he is, he's doing it wrong.
Tell me this wouldn't be the greatest picture of all time...

Detroit loses to Pittsburgh in the finals, shot of Hossa looking sad, caption says: Winning the Stanley Cup - Ur doin it wrong!!!

I hope I hope I get to make that picture!!!

Me too!
passmaster16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by passmaster16 »

Joe Bendel is on the air talking about how Pens fans shouldn't boo Hossa because he may want to come back at a discount next year and that if they boo him, he may get offended an might now want to come back. Really Joe??? :pop: