Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by mac5155 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I've started making my pizzas in my new cast iron skillet. It's so good. I don't think i'll go back to a different way of cooking it until summer where I enjoy grilling my pizza.
Do you not use your grill during the winter?

My grill use does not decline at all during the cold weather. Granted it's about three steps from my front door on the deck, but I just can't quit that thing even when it is 10 degrees outside.
My propane tank doesn't like the cold.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Hmmm, I use propane too and haven't had any issues
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Sounds like the burners may be gummed up with fat/grease.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

blackjack68 wrote:Sounds like the burners may be gummed up with fat/grease.
Hmm. You might be right
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

canaan wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
canaan wrote:Tif, I'm trying to get out of a mini cooking slump so I bought myself a new wok. What's your tips on seasoning the wok? I'm gonna remove the lawyer and coat it with veg oil in the meantime, but id love to hear if you've any different tricks.
It depends on the material. What's it made of?
its your run of the mill carbon steel
It's kind of an involved process, so I found this tutorial.
http://www.finecooking.com/item/42905/h ... -steel-wok
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Okay, so the most recent Elimination Challenge on "Top Chef Seattle" was sort of interesting. Come up with a new interpretation of the classic 'surf and turf'. The first thing that immediately came to mind was scallop-wrapped bacon.

So who here is up for the challenge? Let's give it a try and come up with our own nuevo surf and turf.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I grill all winter as well, but it's a matter of tastes. Winter pizzas (imo) are much better as thick and hearty, where as summer pizzas i want something nice and light. The cast iron works well for the former and grilled dough works well for the latter.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

OutofFoil wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Nothing makes me sadder than when I undercook or overcook scallops. Last night was very tragic.
I'm sorry for your loss. A perfectly done scallop is a thing of beauty.
Nailed it tonight. I got the system down now...

-sunflower oil
-exactly medium high heat
-just enough oil to coat the pan
-a little less than 2 minutes each side
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Sunflower or safflower?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I got sunflower by mistake. It worked.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

tifosi77 wrote:
canaan wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
canaan wrote:Tif, I'm trying to get out of a mini cooking slump so I bought myself a new wok. What's your tips on seasoning the wok? I'm gonna remove the lawyer and coat it with veg oil in the meantime, but id love to hear if you've any different tricks.
It depends on the material. What's it made of?
its your run of the mill carbon steel
It's kind of an involved process, so I found this tutorial.
http://www.finecooking.com/item/42905/h ... -steel-wok
thats pretty close to what i ended up doing. word.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

mac5155 wrote:My propane tank doesn't like the cold.
Some grills and propane tanks have some sort of safety feature that I think it supposed to reduce or block off the flow if a hose bursts or something along those lines. Low temperatures can fool that mechanism into kicking on. For my Weber Baby Q grill, if the temp is low you have to be excruciatingly slow when you turn on the gas, and if you don’t it will throttle the flow so that you never get more than low heat even with the regulator turned up the whole way.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

tifosi77 wrote:Okay, so the most recent Elimination Challenge on "Top Chef Seattle" was sort of interesting. Come up with a new interpretation of the classic 'surf and turf'. The first thing that immediately came to mind was scallop-wrapped bacon.

So who here is up for the challenge? Let's give it a try and come up with our own nuevo surf and turf.
I once made a meatloaf with salad shrimp mixed into it. It wasn't bad, from what I recall.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

tifosi77 wrote:Okay, so the most recent Elimination Challenge on "Top Chef Seattle" was sort of interesting. Come up with a new interpretation of the classic 'surf and turf'. The first thing that immediately came to mind was scallop-wrapped bacon.

i would try a steak tartare (or even tartare aller-retour) and lump crab slider, with a lemon-heavy hollandaise on toasted/buttered brioche. i dont know, however, if the toast on the brioche would be enough to get a crunch element that would be needed.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

If pictures are posted, could the board be the collective judge?

Wouldn't know how to make it, but carne or procuito wrapped in talapia?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I'd offer a trio of grilled sliders—one each of ground venison, heritage turkey, and tuna. Grilled buttered buns made from white whole wheat. Topped with angel-hair cabbage and aioli. You get one each of two legs, four legs, and no legs, and also one each of swims, walks, and (at least in theory) flies. I’d try rutabaga chips as a side, and maybe something like pickled okra.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

bacon wrapped scallops are drool.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

if a scallop requires a bacon wrap to be good, i don't want it.
stinky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by stinky »

count2infinity wrote:I grill all winter as well, but it's a matter of tastes. Winter pizzas (imo) are much better as thick and hearty, where as summer pizzas i want something nice and light. The cast iron works well for the former and grilled dough works well for the latter.

If anyone likes to cook pizza on the grill, I HIGHLY recommend the Pizza Kettle. Pizza on the grill used to be a 50/50 prospect for me, however this gem makes it perfect all the time (no, I do not own or have any ties to the company)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

count2infinity wrote:if a scallop requires a bacon wrap to be good, i don't want it.
Scallops may not require bacon to be good, but you can be damn sure I wouldn't pass it up.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Nothing requires bacon to be good. But what, with the addition of bacon, does not become wonderful? And if you start with something wonderful, does it not simply increase in wonderfulishness?

That said, I do grow a little weary of cooks putting bacon on everything. But scallops and bacon are a classic surf/turf combo and, at my heart, I am deeply un-creative.

:lol:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm thinking pork tenderloin and scallops, with a ginger, rosemary and red miso sauce.
I have no idea if that would be a good idea.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

That combo is almost entirely dependent on how you play the balance between the ginger and the rosemary. The miso will be self-regulating; there's only so much saltiness you can put in a dish before you realize you've gone too far. But the ginger-rosemary thing can be tricky.

The problem with scallops (if there is one) is that they generally get quite sweet when seared well. and they simply don't take on flavors the same way that the tenderloin will do if you want to serve them crudo or as a ceviche. So I think it will more about controlling common flavors in separate preparations, more than using one bridge component (like a sauce or garnish) to tie things together.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

When I made scallops this weekend, I topped them with a ginger soy reduction (soy sauce substitute actually).

Cook up some ginger in canola oil and then add soy sauce and a touch of brown sugar. Add some sesame oil or chile oil if you want and let it cook for a while. Very good with the scallops.