GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Troy Loney »

Kraftster wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Hmmm. Haven't seen a Weyerbacher Saison. Interesting.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/81876" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
10.5% is crazy for a saison. I'm intrigued.

Isn't Golden Monkey a Saison? Either way, it's definitely better than golden monkey.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

Troy Loney wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Hmmm. Haven't seen a Weyerbacher Saison. Interesting.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/81876" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
10.5% is crazy for a saison. I'm intrigued.

Isn't Golden Monkey a Saison? Either way, it's definitely better than golden monkey.
Golden monkey is a belgian tripel. If you want a good everyday saison go with ommegang. If you want a great one, go with boulevard. They had their limited release of their saison about 2 months ago, but I don't think they distribute to PA.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

You suck, Jose. I've been trying to get the Boulevard Saison Brett for the past year. I assume I'll get the Boulevard someday, not sure I'll ever get the Anchorage Love Buzz, which I've been told is also amazing.

But I agree on Hennepin (Ommegang). As with most of the stuff up my alley, the west coast saisons are better than what we can get here. :shrug:
For those in these parts, Hennepin is the best, but Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace is solid and the Stillwater Cellar Door is really good. I'm not a fan of the Ithaca Ground Break Saison because of the hops, but it might be appealing to some of the IPA folks.
Last edited by Kraftster on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Kraftster, have you checked out the beer selection at the whole foods up in the north hills? I have heard it is pretty solid.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Troy Loney wrote:Kraftster, have you checked out the beer selection at the whole foods up in the north hills? I have heard it is pretty solid.
Where is it? I went last weekend and just saw a few crummy six pack selections at the front of the store. Hrm.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Not sure about the Whole Foods in your area, but the Whole Foods by me has an incredible bottle selection.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Speaking of North Hills beer stops. I'll also stepped into One For the Road. Looks like I was right several months ago when I said it was likely going to close as a result of Giant Eagle. The selection was pathetic. They removed an entire row of beer, and the coolers were near empty. Sucks but not much you can do when you charge twice what GE is charging. Aventinus is $4.75 at GE and $9.50 at OFtR.

Speaking of Giant Eagle, the one in Wexford now has the Cisco Lady of the Woods. Its a sour/american wild ale. For those of you who have been expressing interest in getting into sours, this is probably your best bet without going out of your way to make a trip to New Kensington. Its a pretty interesting one. Aged in chardonnay barrels, rather citrusy for a sour, not like any others I've had. I think it'll cost you about $19 at GE which is $3-$5 less than you'll pay at a lower volume specialty bottle shop.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

shafnutz05 wrote:Not sure about the Whole Foods in your area, but the Whole Foods by me has an incredible bottle selection.
Huh. I must have totally missed it. Your tales of WF successful beer trips is what made me stop, so I was so disappoint to find nothing.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I'll check the south hills market district for that. They had the shipyard imperial pumpkin last night when I was there, so pumpkin beers are here.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

I'm amazed that giant eagle had the Cisco sours as I believe that's a grey market beer in the area. What was the price?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Kraftster wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Not sure about the Whole Foods in your area, but the Whole Foods by me has an incredible bottle selection.
Huh. I must have totally missed it. Your tales of WF successful beer trips is what made me stop, so I was so disappoint to find nothing.

Yeah, I haven't been to the NH one yet, but I was amazed at the selection the whole foods in NYC had.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

UVM2003 wrote:I'm amazed that giant eagle had the Cisco sours as I believe that's a grey market beer in the area. What was the price?
I'm pretty sure it was $19. That's interesting. There were at least a dozen bottles of it.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

:shock:
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/clt/3179484516.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I can't get on craigslist at work what is it? An intimate Encounters post?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Kraftster wrote::shock:
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/clt/3179484516.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Incredible
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Troy Loney wrote:I can't get on craigslist at work what is it? An intimate Encounters post?
Cellared beer collection in Pittsburgh for $10k.

Entire beer (1,050) and beer glass (516) collection. Beer includes Chimay 1969, '75, '78, '81, '84, '87, and '88. Fantome Pissenlit(Dandelion) large bottle (2). LaTrappe Quadruple Trappiste from Holland that is no longer authentic Trappiste. Thoma Hardy '94 and '99, Millenium Gueze aged for over 10 years as required and considered the best gueze ever made. Glasses include rare enameled labels no longer available from the brewery.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

Kraftster wrote:You suck, Jose. I've been trying to get the Boulevard Saison Brett for the past year. I assume I'll get the Boulevard someday, not sure I'll ever get the Anchorage Love Buzz, which I've been told is also amazing.
Had the saison-brett on tap last week and I have a bottle at home :pop:
Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace is solid
:fist: Also a big fan of the Local 1.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Anyone ever had any Uinta brews? Just saw on FB that they will be offering samples @ Mad Mex next Friday during Happy Hour (convenient as I believe I will be going there for my birthday).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Wexford Ale House has Dogfish Head Theobroma on tap now. So delicious. They started serving pizza there now too, and it's pretty darn good. Thursday was cheap pizza night. Good times :thumb:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

the wicked child wrote:Anyone ever had any Uinta brews? Just saw on FB that they will be offering samples @ Mad Mex next Friday during Happy Hour (convenient as I believe I will be going there for my birthday).
Awesome man!! We drank a lot of Uinta when we were in Salt Lake, and actually visited the brewery.

The Imperial Black IPA is amazing.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

shafnutz05 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Anyone ever had any Uinta brews? Just saw on FB that they will be offering samples @ Mad Mex next Friday during Happy Hour (convenient as I believe I will be going there for my birthday).
Awesome man!! We drank a lot of Uinta when we were in Salt Lake, and actually visited the brewery.

The Imperial Black IPA is amazing.
Nice. :thumb:

With the talk of Saisons, I just noticed that Church Brew Works has one on tap right now. Doubt I'll make it out there myself, but a heads up.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

A banner beer night in the shafnutz05 household tonight. Stopped at Whole Foods and picked up:

Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout (a staple)

Dogfish Head 60 minute

Three Philosophers

La Fin du Monde (the wife loves tripels)
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

3/4 :thumb:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Yup
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

shafnutz05 wrote:A banner beer night in the shafnutz05 household tonight. Stopped at Whole Foods and picked up:

Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout (a staple)

Dogfish Head 60 minute

Three Philosophers

La Fin du Monde (the wife loves tripels)
Wow, well done.