RIP Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: RIP Thread

Post by Pitts »

CERV96 wrote:I feel bad that she died don't get me wrong. I just didn't care to see that disturbing add every 2 minutes during a hockey game. If people are going to smoke they are going to smoke. Playing the add every 2 minutes isn't going to stop them.
The article I read stated that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention believes up to 100,000 people stopped smoking because of her work.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I still smoke but I am trying to quit. Her commercial is helping and sometimes her image will get me to not light up.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

RIP Ken Norton Sr
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi at age 85. Mr. Yamauchi, who retired in 2002, was president of Nintendo for more than 50 years. When he took over the company in 1949 at age 22, Nintendo was still a small family business manufacturing playing cards. Yamauchi diversified Nintendo into making games and toys, and he was the one who led the company into making video games. He personally oversaw the development of the NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and Gameboy. He was also the majority owner of the Seattle Mariners. If you've ever enjoyed stomping a Koopa Trooper, Mr. Yamauchi was the one who made that happen.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Shyster wrote:RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi at age 85. Mr. Yamauchi, who retired in 2002, was president of Nintendo for more than 50 years. When he took over the company in 1949 at age 22, Nintendo was still a small family business manufacturing playing cards. Yamauchi diversified Nintendo into making games and toys, and he was the one who led the company into making video games. He personally oversaw the development of the NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and Gameboy. He was also the majority owner of the Seattle Mariners. If you've ever enjoyed stomping a Koopa Trooper, Mr. Yamauchi was the one who made that happen.
RIP Mr. Yamauchi, you gave me a lot of childhood and now adult memories.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Azkar »

so it goes
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Aww rip Mr Nintendo
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

RIP Luciano Vincenzoni, script writer of "For a Few Dollars More" & "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

RIP Steelers Great L.C. Greenwood at 67

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... 67-705428/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

RIP Steelers
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

RIP Tom Clancy
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

canaan wrote:RIP Tom Clancy
Even though he's been mailing it in for a while now, this still makes me sad...one of my favorite authors :(

RIP.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Even though he's been mailing it in for a while now, this still makes me sad...one of my favorite authors :(

RIP.
Back in the 90's in Pre-Kindle days, Tom Clancy got me through more cross country flights than Boeing.

R.i.P
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

grew up on him and Dean Koontz in the 80s. And Stephen Coonts.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I figured he was in his 80s.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

shafnutz05 wrote:

RIP.
Very sad to hear this news. :(

I didn't read any of his work after Rainbow Six, so I can't comment on the quality of his more recent efforts. But I have never been so amped up - like Blue Meth high on adrenaline and anxiety - as reading the final pages of The Sum Of All Fears and most of Without Remorse.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

tifosi77 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

RIP.
Very sad to hear this news. :(

I didn't read any of his work after Rainbow Six, so I can't comment on the quality of his more recent efforts. But I have never been so amped up - like Blue Meth high on adrenaline and anxiety - as reading the final pages of The Sum Of All Fears and most of Without Remorse.
Why does it NOT surprise me that Tif is a Clancy fan? :)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

As you might expect, I have a really hard time with the way military aviation is usually fictionalized; I can't even watch the movie Top Gun because it's so riddled with stupidity and presents the school in such a silly light. Clancy may have had things to quibble with, but he was generally excellent. But even if he was wildly inaccurate with his depictions, I think I still might have enjoyed his books because - above all else - the guy knew how to tell a story.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

tifosi77 wrote:As you might expect, I have a really hard time with the way military aviation is usually fictionalized; I can't even watch the movie Top Gun because it's so riddled with stupidity and presents the school in such a silly light. Clancy may have had things to quibble with, but he was generally excellent. But even if he was wildly inaccurate with his depictions, I think I still might have enjoyed his books because - above all else - the guy knew how to tell a story.
This cannot be underscored. Storytelling ability, and making it seem like he knew what he was talking about, was enough when reading as a teen. Could be why Coonts' Flight of the Intruder worked so well.

Haven't gone back and read anew recently, but still have all of the books. The uncanny ability to have a near seemless fit between Red October and Patriot Games, where the latter was set before the former but the latter being written after the former...

The only downside in the whole mess is not being able to cast a single actor as Jack Ryan in the film versions.

*** I can still picture Clancey's telling of Iceland in my head from Red Storm Rising...
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I dunno, I still think Baldwin was the best movie Ryan. Comprehensively did not like Ford, and Affleck..... Affleck's Ryan was like when Gary Cherone was in Van Halen.

And I agree, Flight Of The Intruder is a gem. And the film is a nice treat, as well. (Up to the end bit)
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

which part of the end, danny glover crashing at 300 mph and just breaking a leg, or Razor's acting?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

More the fact that Danny Glover was there at all (his character wasn't on the mission in the book).
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but ...

RIP Vo Nguyen Giap.

His victory at Dien Bien Phu was perhaps the most astonishing logistical achievement in modern military history.

Died at 102.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Took an America In Vietnam class in college. Dude was a boss.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

redwill wrote:I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but ...

RIP Vo Nguyen Giap.

His victory at Dien Bien Phu was perhaps the most astonishing logistical achievement in modern military history.

Died at 102.
Nah... I'm the age where many of my friends aerved in 'Nam. I've seen far too many 'Nam vets go back and make piece with the NVA. Guys in wheelchairs, guys with missing limbs, ex POW's etc... if they can do it so can I.

I really liken 'Nam to a foreign army occupying US soil. I'm sure that I'd do almost everything they did including the POW camps.