Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by canaan »

the adjectives are stale, antiquated descriptors that, to me, have the connotation that the giver of said descriptions are of an age that is outside of the socially-accepted age range/relationship (simplified as: it sounds like an old person saying it to a young girl). its off-putting to me. if you went up to a girl and said she was breathtaking, it would come off as awkward 90+% of the time.

its just uncomfortable hyperbole to me. Its common day helen of troy weirdness.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

canaan wrote:the adjectives are stale, antiquated descriptors that, to me, have the connotation that the giver of said descriptions are of an age that is outside of the socially-accepted age range/relationship (simplified as: it sounds like an old person saying it to a young girl). its off-putting to me. if you went up to a girl and said she was breathtaking, it would come off as awkward 90+% of the time.

its just uncomfortable hyperbole to me. Its common day helen of troy weirdness.
Woah. Think maybe you're taking words too seriously? I mean, what do you say then? You're 'hot'? What do you feel is the proper way of telling a girl she's amazing?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

that may well be the case :lol:

i dont actively compliment females on their looks, outside of my wife, but when i do, i tell her she looks hot and/or beautiful. i dont think those hyperbolic descriptors come off as authentic sounding.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Raisins
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Froggy wrote:Raisins
that's a weird word to describe a hot chick
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

shmenguin wrote:
Froggy wrote:Raisins
that's a weird word to describe a hot chick
I just hate raisins. They are grape zombies
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

Troy Loney wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
joopen wrote:People who read while using cardio equipment (except stationary bike since your are relatively still)... drives me bonkers
haha, I don't get that at all...I don't like to have to change the song on my iPhone while I am running, much less turning the pages of a book
I read my kindle on the eliptical....i never realized this might bother people.
I want to take your kindle and throw it out the window into oncomming traffic.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

canaan wrote:that may well be the case :lol:

i dont actively compliment females on their looks, outside of my wife, but when i do, i tell her she looks hot and/or beautiful. i dont think those hyperbolic descriptors come off as authentic sounding.
lol, OK.

Well, let's perform an experiment. Walk up to your girl toward the evening when she is looking really good like could tell she made herself all nice. Get romantic. Because I love romance. I think it is SO underappreciated today. Guys make fun of romance and feelings, I know. Whatever. Look deeply into her eyes, put your hand on the side of her face/neck, tell her she is breathtaking and gorgeous, and give her a slow, long, gentle kiss. Then open your eyes and see her reaction. From my experience, girls eat up compliments like cookies. They all just want to be loved and appreciated, don't they? Word of caution. She may also burst out laughing...
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I guess the thought of reading while doing intense cardio is weird to me. Reading is a relaxing, leisurely thing for me. I would think it would counteract the effect the pump up music has on me.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Sarcastic wrote:
canaan wrote:that may well be the case :lol:

lol, OK.

Well, let's perform an experiment. Walk up to your girl toward the evening when she is looking really good like could tell she made herself all nice. Get romantic. Because I love romance. I think it is SO underappreciated today. Guys make fun of romance and feelings, I know. Whatever. Look deeply into her eyes, put your hand on the side of her face/neck, tell her she is breathtaking and gorgeous, and give her a slow, long, gentle kiss. Then open your eyes and see her reaction. From my experience, girls eat up compliments like cookies. They all just want to be loved and appreciated, don't they? Word of caution. She may also burst out laughing...
knowing my wife, her exact words will be "what did you buy?" :lol:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

canaan wrote:knowing my wife, her exact words will be "what did you buy?" :lol:
:fist:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Sarcastic wrote:
JS© wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
canaan wrote:when people describe something as "breathtaking"
Really? I like that word. Especially when describing beautiful women. Like when Miranda Kerr walks out in a bikini. I think it's perfectly OK to say she is breathtaking. But maybe you're referring to people overusing it on stupid stuff or exaggerating things, in which case I agree it can be annoying.
I don't know. Even beautiful women might even be a stretch for breathtaking.

Hot? Yes. Breathtaking? Eh, I don't know, it seems a bit much.
You've never gotten so mesmerized by a beautiful girl that you just stared in awe and melted inside? How about a guy?
lolwut?!?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't see any guys as breathtaking.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Just messin' with you, JS, lol.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I did a search for breathtaking here. Shaf and Shyster and Tif and others like the word.

shaf: Absolutely breathtaking photo taken by a Japanese satellite during the Venus transit. WOW.
shaf: The view from the capsule is absolutely breathtaking. Not too many human beings have ever seen that incredible view.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Sarcastic wrote:I did a search for breathtaking here. Shaf and Shyster and Tif and others like the word.

shaf: Absolutely breathtaking photo taken by a Japanese satellite during the Venus transit. WOW.
shaf: The view from the capsule is absolutely breathtaking. Not too many human beings have ever seen that incredible view.
i think i rest my case.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Well, sounds like shaf got really excited.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I think there are certain words that are better used on forums like this. For instance, I dont think I'd ever in conversation actually say the word "breathtaking" but I could see myself using it to describe something in text. But in just casually talking, I breathtaking would never be my go too.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Canaan is exhibiting a breathtaking display of arrogance and elitism
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

What if you were describing being smothered by a pillow, or punched in the gut? Could those be described as "breathtaking"?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

those kinds of words aren't in my lexicon.

i think .0001% of the population can use them and not sound pretentious. i'm pretty confident that sarcastic is part of that .0001%
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

shafnutz05 wrote:Canaan is exhibiting a breathtaking display of arrogance and elitism
you're right. i should go back to being mad at the people that call out my wife's inability to follow the rules of the road. my apologies, humble purveyor of all that is right.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

"I don't normally do this, but I felt compelled to tell you something. You have an absolutely breath-taking... heiney. I mean, that thing's good. I wanna be friends with it."
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Wow... I almost didn't recognize you...

Who told you that shade of <insert beauty product> looks good on you?

What ever your using is doing a good job of covering up that grey hair...

Those clothes were a nice choice, they really make you look slimmer.
Spoiler:
Things you say to you ex when you see her in public... :)
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

That moment when you walk into the men's room and don't see the urinals immediately, your heart slightly stops, then you realize there are no couches or unicorns around, and you are in the clear.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

last week, on the wednesday before thanksgiving, someone said to me "have a nice holiday!". What other holiday is there? just say thanksgiving! it's not a religious holiday, or anything... why so PC?