Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by tifosi77 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Shaf ate an entire cheese wheel and pooped in the fridge. I'm not even mad, I'm impressed.
I just read this.....uhhhhhhhhhhhh wat? :lol:
Anchorman reference. :P

(And are you making a Jaws reference in that reply? Should I have said "Tiger shark"?)
BadHands71 wrote:Curious question to my fellow cooks. Getting the MCAH book has made me wonder what other cookbooks are worth owning that I don't have. I'm curious what some of the LGP go-to books are.
Wow.... that really depends on what you're looking for. At this stage, I generally don't use cookbooks for full-up recipes. Like, "I saw read this recipe and I'm going to make the dish, start-to-finish". I mean, yes I still do that. (Of course) But I have several thousands of dollars of cookbooks and cooking reference books in my library, and their primary focus is for perspective. How does this chef think about their cuisine versus that one? Which one appeals to me more? What can I take from this set of dishes and apply to this other set over here? I remember eating at this restaurant and linking the [blank] dish; I wonder if their cookbook might lead me towards discovering what influenced that recipe and how I might apply that to my own kitchen? (I'm almost embarrassed to say it, but I actually do think that way.)

So for me, cookbooks aren't so much about cooking. They're about perspective.

That said, these are my favorite books.

"The Splendid Table" -- Lynn Rosetto Kasper
Still the go-to reference for the cooking of Bologna and Emilia-Romagna; my copy is practically falling apart. It's half cooking, half history, all awesome.

"A Return To Cooking" -- Eric Ripert
A simply fascinating look into the creative process of how a Michelin three-star chef cooks at home.

"Ratio" -- Michael Ruhlman
Maybe the single best reference book on cooking and baking ever written.

"On Food & Cooking" -- Harold McGee
Okay, I take that back..... McGee is the one book to have on your shelf as a reference.

"How To Read A French Fry" -- Russ Parsons
If McGee proves daunting, this is the simplified version. But worth having, regardless.

-----

Only the first two of those are actual cookbooks. The others are more reference-grade material. But I don't want to think about a world where I don't have all of these books at my fingertips, ready at a moment's notice to assist me getting out of the mess I create when my attempt at purple gazpacho instead yields a viscous pink paste-type thing.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

if anyone is familiar with restaurants in philly, you need to get this book

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it has recipes for signature dishes from restaurants all around town, written by the chefs. so cool.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

tifosi77 wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:Curious question to my fellow cooks. Getting the MCAH book has made me wonder what other cookbooks are worth owning that I don't have. I'm curious what some of the LGP go-to books are.
Wow.... that really depends on what you're looking for. At this stage, I generally don't use cookbooks for full-up recipes. Like, "I saw read this recipe and I'm going to make the dish, start-to-finish". I mean, yes I still do that. (Of course) But I have several thousands of dollars of cookbooks and cooking reference books in my library, and their primary focus is for perspective. How does this chef think about their cuisine versus that one? Which one appeals to me more? What can I take from this set of dishes and apply to this other set over here? I remember eating at this restaurant and linking the [blank] dish; I wonder if their cookbook might lead me towards discovering what influenced that recipe and how I might apply that to my own kitchen? (I'm almost embarrassed to say it, but I actually do think that way.)

So for me, cookbooks aren't so much about cooking. They're about perspective.

That said, these are my favorite books.

"The Splendid Table" -- Lynn Rosetto Kasper
Still the go-to reference for the cooking of Bologna and Emilia-Romagna; my copy is practically falling apart. It's half cooking, half history, all awesome.

"A Return To Cooking" -- Eric Ripert
A simply fascinating look into the creative process of how a Michelin three-star chef cooks at home.

"Ratio" -- Michael Ruhlman
Maybe the single best reference book on cooking and baking ever written.

"On Food & Cooking" -- Harold McGee
Okay, I take that back..... McGee is the one book to have on your shelf as a reference.

"How To Read A French Fry" -- Russ Parsons
If McGee proves daunting, this is the simplified version. But worth having, regardless.

-----

Only the first two of those are actual cookbooks. The others are more reference-grade material. But I don't want to think about a world where I don't have all of these books at my fingertips, ready at a moment's notice to assist me getting out of the mess I create when my attempt at purple gazpacho instead yields a viscous pink paste-type thing.

Thanks Tifosi! That's kinda what I was looking for. I'm past the point where I'm happy cooking from a cookbook start to finish. I don't really need any more "cookbooks" but I'm looking more for inspiration and reference. I'm sure I'm not to your level but I'm pretty good for a home cook, now I want to branch out a little. I want to get away from someone TELLING me how to cook, and focus on my interpretation of a recipe. I'm going to have to check a few of those out. (I do have the first one and agree whole-heartedly, it's awesome :thumb: )
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

Ok, Let's talk ham. I want to cook a Christmas ham. I've never had any luck with ham at all. Every time I've cooked a spiral sliced it doesn't taste that good. I've had ok success with uncooked smoked shank/butt but nothing that great. I've had awesome ham from other people, but the secrets have yet been show to me. Any help?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

bh wrote:Ok, Let's talk ham. I want to cook a Christmas ham. I've never had any luck with ham at all. Every time I've cooked a spiral sliced it doesn't taste that good. I've had ok success with uncooked smoked shank/butt but nothing that great. I've had awesome ham from other people, but the secrets have yet been show to me. Any help?
I'm interested in this too. I was going to roast mine in a roaster oven.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

mac5155 wrote:
bh wrote:Ok, Let's talk ham. I want to cook a Christmas ham. I've never had any luck with ham at all. Every time I've cooked a spiral sliced it doesn't taste that good. I've had ok success with uncooked smoked shank/butt but nothing that great. I've had awesome ham from other people, but the secrets have yet been show to me. Any help?
I'm interested in this too. I was going to roast mine in a roaster oven.
One of those set it and forget things?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Yeah, is that a bad thing?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

How well do they work....that's my interest.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I was also thinking about making a bacon cheddar mashed potato dish of some sort.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

mac5155 wrote:I was also thinking about making a bacon cheddar mashed potato dish of some sort.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I made a honey oat wheat bread yesterday. it was so delicious. I popped a couple slices in the toaster this morning put some peanut butter and a little extra honey on it. wow.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

First, what do you consider a good tasting ham? Salty? Smoky? Sweet glaze?

I do a Cook's spiral ham completely wrapped in foil and set in a roasting pan face down. Put in the oven at 225 to 250 for about an hour to 90 minutes. Comes out nicely every time.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

Found this last night. I learned more about ham in 20 minutes than I did previously in my entire life. Great video on hams.

bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

blackjack68 wrote:

I do a Cook's spiral ham completely wrapped in foil and set in a roasting pan face down. Put in the oven at 225 to 250 for about an hour to 90 minutes. Comes out nicely every time.
Good to me is not dried out meat. For flavor I guess a little salty and a little smoky is good. Sometimes I like a glaze and sometimes not.

225-250 seems really low temp. I know your just heating a spiral ham up, but does it really get the inside of the ham nice and hot? Also this might sound like a dumb question, but when you say 'completely wrapped in foil' do you mean just the ham wrapped, or do you mean the roasting pan covered with the ham in it?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

the dudes from epicmealtime did an AMA yesterday on reddit. dudes make me laugh.

sooowwce.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

bh wrote:Found this last night. I learned more about ham in 20 minutes than I did previously in my entire life. Great video on hams.

soaking a ham in an igloo cooler filled with a garden hose? wut
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Christmas dinner recipe that was a winner:

4 oz of wild rice (cooked in the stock of your choice)
Combine with sauteed (in butter) pecans, porcini mushrooms, onion and garlic.

I'm eating it cold right now and it's just as good.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Sounds good columbia...

The last couple years, my wife and I have gone to an upscale place on New Year's Eve (Capitol Grille, Devon Seafood Grill, etc), but I decided I want to make a homemade dinner this year. I'm going with grilled filets, twice baked potatoes, and pan-fried asparagus. Still not sure what to do for the salad though....
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

bh wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:

Good to me is not dried out meat. For flavor I guess a little salty and a little smoky is good. Sometimes I like a glaze and sometimes not.

225-250 seems really low temp. I know your just heating a spiral ham up, but does it really get the inside of the ham nice and hot? Also this might sound like a dumb question, but when you say 'completely wrapped in foil' do you mean just the ham wrapped, or do you mean the roasting pan covered with the ham in it?
The whole ham wrapped completely then set wide side down in the pan. Typically about two hours. The foil and the low temp keep it juicy and the time gets it hot throughout. Just did a half butt on Christmas same technique and it was pretty great.

No glaze for me. Prefer my meat savory, not sweet. Ever. Except maybe chocolate covered bacon.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

My sister had been spending half the year in Antarctica working and the other half in the states working. She was downsizing when she started doing this and let us have her kitchenaid mixer. She recently got accepted to school and is returning before her GI bill expires and asked to have her mixer back. I finally found one to buy for relatively cheap ($130 for an artisan style that's dark blue). I can't imagine what I'd do without one. I use it all the time.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Homemade basil walnut pesto w/ penne and grilled chicken tonight. Gotta bake the walnuts first, and I like adding sundried tomatoes. Soooooo good.

Anyone else have a favorite pesto recipe? I like changing it up from the alfredo or red sauce.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

My Christmas dinner was simple but tasted great:

I wanted to cook some kind of a roast - prime rib maybe - but wasn't sure exactly what to look for. The butcher saw me staring at the meat case and gave me a suggestion - a New York strip roast. He said he cut the wrong thing that morning, and that roast that sold for $9.99 a pound should have been cut into strip steaks at $19.99 a pound.

I let it sit for about two hours to come to room temperature, then I brushed it with olive oil and sprinkled garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper. I cooked it at 500 degrees for 15 minutes, then 350 for another hour and a half or so.

I chopped red potatoes and tossed them with olive oil, garlic salt, and black pepper before putting them in the oven as well. Those cooked for around 40 minutes or so. I also steamed green beans.

I read numerous different times and thermometer readings for medium rare (I kept my dining room dark so my mom couldnt see - if its pink the middle its cooked too little and she wont eat it). It was about 140 degrees when I pulled it out.

Tasted great.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

My wife had invited a co-worker and his wife and two children to our house for dinner tomorrow night. They had been guests at our house earlier in the year, but this time they proved to be late-hour cancels. So my wife asked one of her girlfriends to come over instead. It shall be a Spanish feast: went to La Espanola Meats this afternoon and procured some morcilla, some jamon Serrano, some Iberico ham and loin, some octopus in olive oil, bomba rice, Marcona almonds, drunken goat cheese, Valdeon blue cheese, piquillos, some Manzanilla olives...... gonna be a good time.

8-)
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

tifosi77 wrote:My wife had invited a co-worker and his wife and two children to our house for dinner tomorrow night. They had been guests at our house earlier in the year, but this time they proved to be late-hour cancels. So my wife asked one of her girlfriends to come over instead. It shall be a Spanish feast: went to La Espanola Meats this afternoon and procured some morcilla, some jamon Serrano, some Iberico ham and loin, some octopus in olive oil, bomba rice, Marcona almonds, drunken goat cheese, Valdeon blue cheese, piquillos, some Manzanilla olives...... gonna be a good time.

8-)
I'm pretty sure I just shorted out my keyboard thanks to excessive drooling...
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

blackjack68 wrote:
bh wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:First, what do you consider a good tasting ham? Salty? Smoky? Sweet glaze?

The whole ham wrapped completely then set wide side down in the pan. Typically about two hours. The foil and the low temp keep it juicy and the time gets it hot throughout. Just did a half butt on Christmas same technique and it was pretty great.

No glaze for me. Prefer my meat savory, not sweet. Ever. Except maybe chocolate covered bacon.
I got a small ham from a butcher that they called an amber ham(?) and I cooked it at 250 for a couple hours. It was delicious and easily the best ham I ever made. Made it with red skin mashed potatoes, a bunch of veggies, and green bean casserole. I can see now that I usually over cook my hams. The packages always state that you cook at 350 and so many minutes per pound. I'm guessing they are trying to save people cooking time but low and slow is the way to go.