GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Eismann »

Eismann wrote:Got a 4 of Three Witches Black Saison. Not bad for my first saison. Carmel/rye tones come through over the rest of the melange, which helped.

Also picked up Brekle's Brown from the Anchor peeps. Haven't tried yet.
The Brekle's is good. It's only hop is a Citra, so a bit of fruitiness comes through in an otherwise malty brew, but it's not heavy. If you're more into hops and are looking to try something darker, this would be a good one.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

ok, local beer store only had one bottle of wehienstephaner left. since i am probably the only one in the general neighorhood who obsesses over weheinstephaner, not sure whether to treat that with pride or shame. needless to say, i bought the last pint, and a few pints of schneider weiss, even if it is vastly inferior... still pretty good. looking forward to the weekend i was cheated out of last week with the freak storm and all
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Very nice....i might print that out and laminate it.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

That's pretty cool. Funny that they have a dessert section. Not big on beer with dessert outside some select stouts or porters.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

MWB wrote:Not big on beer with dessert outside some select stouts or porters.
KBS is awesome with a small dessert.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I still need to get KBS.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

MWB wrote:I still need to get KBS.
I've only had it once because my friend knew the guy had Whole Foods. But to be honest, it's not something you would have more than once in a blue moon. (It's delicious, but it's a drink for special occasions).
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

We're finally getting a Whole Foods near us this fall so I'm hoping for a wider beer selection then.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

MWB wrote:We're finally getting a Whole Foods near us this fall so I'm hoping for a wider beer selection then.
Anyone here taste anything from the 2012 collaboration beer series? I picked up 2 bottles of TBA from Bear Republic / Fat Head's / Stone and 2 bottles of Saison from Dogfish Head / Stone from Whole Foods. All are chilling in the cooler. Not sure how many other varieties are available or other breweries involved in the series.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Has anyone checked this place out yet?

http://www.copperkettlepgh.com/recipes/recipes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

A mobile canning service for craft breweries
http://thecanvan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

MWB wrote:That's pretty cool. Funny that they have a dessert section. Not big on beer with dessert outside some select stouts or porters.
Beers like Pumking and Creme Brulee Stout are desserts.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Troy Loney wrote:Has anyone checked this place out yet?

http://www.copperkettlepgh.com/recipes/recipes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This seems like kind of a neat idea. I used to brew my own beer in college and the years right after with just the cheap plastic bucket homebrew kit. I wouldn't mind getting into again, but getting good equipment costs money and takes up a good bit of space. The Copper Kettle might be a good compromise.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

BigMcK wrote:
MWB wrote:We're finally getting a Whole Foods near us this fall so I'm hoping for a wider beer selection then.
Anyone here taste anything from the 2012 collaboration beer series? I picked up 2 bottles of TBA from Bear Republic / Fat Head's / Stone and 2 bottles of Saison from Dogfish Head / Stone from Whole Foods. All are chilling in the cooler. Not sure how many other varieties are available or other breweries involved in the series.
I saw the Dogfish/Stone Saison at the Whole Foods by me, but I picked up the North Coast Saison, La Merle, instead (still haven't had it yet). Next trip, I'm thinking about the Dogfish/Stone Saison or Cigar City's cucumber (?!) Saison. I figure a cucumber saison might be disgusting, but it should be different and interesting.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Quite possibly your best post ever.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

so, my local liquor store is out of weihenstephaner. i'm pretty sure i drank their entire inventory. not sure if it's pride or shame i feel
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Porkslap!

http://www.butternutsbeerandale.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saw it a few years ago in Maxim and thought the name and can were funny. They don't ship to Ohio, so never got to try it. Last week, a coworker went to Rochester, NY, so he found it and brought some back. It's not bad at all, just a little to light in flavor. Worth a try if you like malty beers.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I may stop at Ho1kB on Friday so I can try Goose Island Sofie Saison on tap since I'll be up that way.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

They finally updated the brewery list for the Millvale Brewfest... http://www.millvalepa.com/BrewFest.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the usual suspects, but also some local breweries and ones I've never had any beer from... looking forward to it.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

the wicked child wrote:They finally updated the brewery list for the Millvale Brewfest... http://www.millvalepa.com/BrewFest.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the usual suspects, but also some local breweries and ones I've never had any beer from... looking forward to it.

lol...who invited Iron City? What's the food situation at this thing? I think I'm going to try to hit this up, I want to try the stuff from Draii Laag.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

This is the first time I'm going to this one so I'm not familiar with the food situation.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Fair enough. I'm probably going to hit the day session, I love beer festivals.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I noticed last night when looking at the Ho1kB tap list that they have a couple draii laag brews right now. Also a Helltowne (hempfield brewery) one.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Asked a friend who is a veteran of all 3 years of the event about the food... He said from what he remembers, the first year had a ton of different food including grilled burgers and hot dogs... The past 2 however, have been mostly kielbasa and sauerkraut.