LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by stopper40 »

Crankshaft wrote:
count2infinity wrote:Skyler White disproves all science and evolution:

[youtube][/youtube]

the scary part is that these people aren't just few and far between. They're everywhere.
I stopped when she read "DNA...blah blah blah".

What the eff is wrong with people?
I went about 30 seconds further and I couldn't take anymore of the stupid
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Some remote cameras that were set up for the failed Orbital Sciences Antares launch have been recovered. Here are multiple views of the oopsie:
[youtube][/youtube]
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

REALLY hoping for good weather on August 21st, 2017

http://www.universetoday.com/116462/a-t ... r-eclipse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Shyster wrote:Some remote cameras that were set up for the failed Orbital Sciences Antares launch have been recovered. Here are multiple views of the oopsie:
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
Spoiler:
I get such a knot in my stomach when I see things like this happen.

In 1986 I was home from school and decided to sit down and watch a shuttle launch. I had watched every one for years but had missed the last five or so. So I sat there watching CNN. I was excited, 'cause I had always wanted to be an astronaut.

Well, you can guess what happened.

It was Challenger.

My father was home for lunch and was walking out the door. "It blew up," I said. He turned around and said "WHAT?"

"It blew up."

He had to leave, but I sat there for hours watching the coverage. The speculation that it was possible some survived. Duh. ... Never coulda happened.

I know this isn't like that, since it was unmanned, but I still feel that emptiness. The waste, the money, yeah, yeah. ... But the hope.

Gone in a flash.
tl;dnr. Sadface.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Video of an Angerflish. I remember seeing a drawing of an anglerfish when I was a kid in a marine science book and was fascinated by it.

I am most shocked at the male anglerfish and his role in life. Apparently he doesn't come with the angler which is almost necessary for feeding and is much smaller than a female. His sole purpose in life is to mate with a female ASAP before he starves to death.

[youtube][/youtube]
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

9 cm long? For some reason I thought these fish were bigger than that.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

redwill wrote:
Spoiler:
I get such a knot in my stomach when I see things like this happen.

In 1986 I was home from school and decided to sit down and watch a shuttle launch. I had watched every one for years but had missed the last five or so. So I sat there watching CNN. I was excited, 'cause I had always wanted to be an astronaut.

Well, you can guess what happened.

It was Challenger.

My father was home for lunch and was walking out the door. "It blew up," I said. He turned around and said "WHAT?"

"It blew up."

He had to leave, but I sat there for hours watching the coverage. The speculation that it was possible some survived. Duh. ... Never coulda happened.

I know this isn't like that, since it was unmanned, but I still feel that emptiness. The waste, the money, yeah, yeah. ... But the hope.

Gone in a flash.
tl;dnr. Sadface.
My experience with Challenger was the same, redwill. Wanted to be an astronaut, was home from school 'sick' (I just wanted to watch the launch), saw it on live TV.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

count2infinity wrote:Skyler White disproves all science and evolution:

[youtube][/youtube]

the scary part is that these people aren't just few and far between. They're everywhere.

Saw this on Dangerous Minds. Her Facebook page is outstanding.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Ross Perot finally being good for something. ENIAC Restored.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

This could go in a variety of threads and be topic-appropriate, but here it shall live.

Richard III's DNA throws up infidelity surprise
Scientists who studied genetic material from remains found in a Leicester car park say the finding might have profound historical implications.

Depending on where in the family tree it occurred, it could cast doubt on the Tudor claim to the English throne or, indeed, on Richard's.
That's kind of fun.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Funny coming across the word "cuckolding" in that context. That means I've seen it online exactly 1 time without a private browser session open.

I want to get my own DNA ran eventually, have to see if I have any of that worrisome Bosnian lineage.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

dodint wrote:Funny coming across the word "cuckolding" in that context. That means I've seen it online exactly 1 time without a private browser session open.
Same thought. :fist:
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Tomorrow morning will mark the first test launch of NASA's Orion spacecraft, which (assuming the funding is there) will eventually carry crews of up to four astronauts to destinations beyond low Earth orbit, such as comets, asteroids, or perhaps even Mars. The Orion offers 2.5 times the volume of the Apollo capsule. It is supposed to eventually be launched using various members of the SLS launch-vehicle family, but because those rockets are still years away from completion, this unmanned test flight—which will only last a couple orbits—is being launched on a ULA Delta IV Heavy rocket. Scheduled liftoff is 7:05 a.m. EST.

http://www.space.com/27918-nasa-orion-s ... mbers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Last time I watched a launch served up in this thread it exploded on the pad.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Case Western Reserve scientists have developed a new chemical compound that shows extraordinary promise in restoring function lost to spinal cord injury. The compound, which the researchers dubbed intracellular sigma peptide (ISP), allowed paralyzed muscles to activate in more than 80 percent of the animals tested.
21 of 26 animals with spinal cord injury regained the ability to urinate, move or both. In the experiments, the peptide appears to allow nerve fibers to overcome scarring that normally blocks their regrowth.

"This recovery is unprecedented," Silver said. "Each of the 21 animals got something back in terms of function. For any spinal cord-injured patient today, it would be considered extraordinary to regain even one of these functions, especially bladder function. ISP additionally has treatment potential for diseases where the body produces destructive scarring such as heart attack, peripheral nerve injury and multiple sclerosis (MS)."
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 120114.php
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... new-camera" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I hate the anti-chemical craze that has swept the nation... chemophobia if you will. Companies are constantly playing into it with things like "100% all natural". Take chobani for instance:

[youtube][/youtube]

I did my monthly scan of new jobs for chemists. Just sort of seeing what's on the market to start applying this coming summer, I run into this:

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/137 ... %3Aprimary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:sigh:
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

count2infinity wrote:I hate the anti-chemical craze that has swept the nation... chemophobia if you will. Companies are constantly playing into it with things like "100% all natural".
Horsecrap, crude oil, and Uranium-235 are also "all natural." Doesn't mean that it would be a good idea to consume any of them.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Shyster wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I hate the anti-chemical craze that has swept the nation... chemophobia if you will. Companies are constantly playing into it with things like "100% all natural".
Horsecrap, crude oil, and Uranium-235 are also "all natural." Doesn't mean that it would be a good idea to consume any of them.
:thumb:
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

The next launch of SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket (which I believe is a resupply mission to the ISS) will attempt to land the first stage on a barge:
http://www.spacex.com/news/2014/12/16/x ... rm-landing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If SpaceX can do this and do it consistently, recovering stages could completely change the cost structure of getting to space. Even being able to recover and reuse the engines alone would dramatically reduce SpaceX's costs, and complete recovery and reuse of entire first stages would slash costs even further.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

US scientists say tracking data shows that five golden-winged warblers "evacuated" their nesting site one day before the April 2014 tornado outbreak.

Geolocators showed the birds left the Appalachians and flew 700km (400 miles) south to the Gulf of Mexico.

The next day, devastating storms swept across the south and central US.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30531060
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

[youtube][/youtube]
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Shyster wrote:
don't forget cyanide
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

New antibiotic teixobactin kills drug-resistant superbugs

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html
When tricked into growing in a lab, the microbe makes a compound that kills strains of tuberculosis, MRSA and other deadly pathogens that are immune to even the most powerful drugs. Tests in mice showed that the newfound molecule is “exquisitely active against some very hard-to-deal-with bugs,”
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Elon Musk and SpaceX have released a short video clip of the first stage of its Falcon 9 rocket trying (and failing) to land on the barge in the Atlantic:

[youtube][/youtube]

According to SpaceX, the stage ran out of the hydraulic fluid it uses to move the control fins on the rocket about a minute before the landing attempt. The hydraulic system is "open," which means it loses fluid as it moves. The loss of the fins led to vastly reduced control abilities for the stage. SpaceX has already announced that the next attempt will have a lot more fluid on board. Musk tweeted the following along with the video:
Next rocket landing on drone ship in 2 to 3 weeks w way more hydraulic fluid. At least it shd explode for a diff reason.
:lol: Elon Musk seems like a guy it would be really fun to work for.