2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Seth Rorabaugh Retweeted
Detroit Red Wings
@DetroitRedWings
·
6m
UPDATE: The #RedWings today acquired defenseman Jeff Petry from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for Gustav Lindstrom and a conditional 4th round pick in 2025.
The trade that keeps on ticking.
Montreal retained 50% on Petry, so Detroit gets him for 2.34M. A really good price for Detroit.
And Petry ends up where he and his family can be happy. Good deal for all it seems.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Three Stars wrote:
Daniel wrote:I know it was pretty impossible, but still, a 24 year old RH defensemen would have been a nice pickup.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not that nice of a pickup.
Could be waiver fodder once the season starts.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

ville5 wrote:
Three Stars wrote:
Daniel wrote:I know it was pretty impossible, but still, a 24 year old RH defensemen would have been a nice pickup.

Or someone that improves as he gets older.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Daniel wrote:
ville5 wrote:
Three Stars wrote:

Or someone that improves as he gets older.
Or seeing his atoi/game take a significant drop, regress.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Seth Rorabaugh Retweeted
Detroit Red Wings
@DetroitRedWings
·
6m
UPDATE: The #RedWings today acquired defenseman Jeff Petry from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for Gustav Lindstrom and a conditional 4th round pick in 2025.
The trade that keeps on ticking.
Montreal retained 50% on Petry, so Detroit gets him for 2.34M. A really good price for Detroit.
And Petry ends up where he and his family can be happy. Good deal for all it seems.
Yeah Montreal definitely did Petry a favor by trading him to Detroit. The return is underwhelming especially with that type of retention. Guess you could call it a class move by Hughes in Montreal since that was where Petry wanted to go. Detroit has a ton of expensive 5,6,7 type of D men now though.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Since it's the dog days, what are some things you would change if you were in Bettman's shoes?
Here's some of mine.

[*] Max. 5 pre-season games, 2 away, 2 home and 1 neutral site.
[*] The regular season would begin no later than Oct. 5th
[*] Reduce the amount of regular season games from 82 to 80. (Ideally, this would lead to the Cup being awarded well before the NBA finishes their playoffs)
[*] Return to having home teams wear their whites/dark on the road. (Limit the use of wearing alternate jerseys to 5 times per season and not in the playoffs)
[*] Return the all-star game to the classic east vs. west.
[*] Make 2 minute minor penalties go the full two minutes, whether a goal is scored or not.
[*] Incorporate a rapidly escalating scale for any player causing head-related injuries. 3 strikes and they're suspended 20+ games.
[*] Bring back the 80's rule that if a high stick to the neck/head draws blood, the offending player is disqualified for the rest of that game with an auto 5 min. major penalty.
[*] Incorporate a softer cap ceiling that can go over by $250,000 or so just to ensure teams don't have to scramble and do something silly just to get under the limit. (like the 14-15 Penguins) Of course, there's a soft penalty that could be paid out into the NHLPA pension fund by offending teams.
[*] Every season, a team has the option of choosing 1 player whose cap hit will not count against the cap—just for that season.

Just some ideas. Feel free to suggest your own.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Playoff format goes back to 1-8, 2-7, and so on.

Home team will wear darks at home for 1/2 season, then switch to whites.

Refs will be graded on their performance and held accountable.

Over the shoot out for the most part. 3v3 until a goal is scored.

Nets go from 4x6 to 4.5x7.

Puck tracker similar to what is used in soccer for high sticking and pucks over the line.
1967penguins

Post by 1967penguins »

I'd like to see the league adopt a 3-2-1 point system. 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT win, 1 point for a shoot out win, and no loser points obviously.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote:Since it's the dog days, what are some things you would change if you were in Bettman's shoes?
Here's some of mine.

[*] Reduce the amount of regular season games from 82 to 80. (Ideally, this would lead to the Cup being awarded well before the NBA finishes their playoffs)
[*] Return to having home teams wear their whites/dark on the road. (Limit the use of wearing alternate jerseys to 5 times per season and not in the playoffs)
[*] Make 2 minute minor penalties go the full two minutes, whether a goal is scored or not.
[*] Incorporate a rapidly escalating scale for any player causing head-related injuries. 3 strikes and they're suspended 20+ games.
[*] Bring back the 80's rule that if a high stick to the neck/head draws blood, the offending player is disqualified for the rest of that game with an auto 5 min. major penalty.
[*] Incorporate a softer cap ceiling that can go over by $250,000 or so just to ensure teams don't have to scramble and do something silly just to get under the limit. (like the 14-15 Penguins) Of course, there's a soft penalty that could be paid out into the NHLPA pension fund by offending teams.
[*] Every season, a team has the option of choosing 1 player whose cap hit will not count against the cap—just for that season.

--Fine with the pre-season format you laid out.
--Fine with the start date.
--Owners will NEVER go for less games. That's two less games of gate revenue. I'd actually suggest going to a 84 game schedule, and here's why:
----Each team plays every team in their division 4 times a season (2 home, 2 away) = 28 games
----Each team plays every each non-division same conference team 3 times a season (1 home, 1 away, and then flip flop every year who gets the 2nd home game) = 24
----Each team plays each non-conference team 2 times a season (1 home, 1 away) = 32 games
----This gives an 84 game schedule, where there is more weight given to division and conference games (52 total games) and less weight given to non-conference games (32)
--Home team wears white for first 42 home games; switches darks for the second half of the season; home team choice of home jersey for the entire round (can't flip flop every game)

--Don't care about the All-Star game; it needs a total rework or to be scrapped
--Don't agree full 2 minute penalties; keep them the way they are.
--DOPS and suspension system / headshots need a total rework
----Have 2 categories for headshots: accidental and targeted (penalties for targeted are more severe)
----Players with multiple targeted headshots or major penalties (intent to injure, charging, etc) have 5, 10, 20, 50 scale. A first time offender of a targeted headshot or blatant intent gets 5 games; 2nd targeting infraction gets 10 games, 3rd gets 20, anything beyond 3 gets 50 games.
----Targeting infractions are looked at over a 2 year period, with only 1 infraction disappearing per year (so, player X has 3 targeted infractions in Season 1; Season 2 he now has 2 targeted infractions on his record, so if he takes another targeted penalty in season 2, it counts already as his 3rd offense)
----Accidental headshots/major penalties carry 2,5,8, and 12 game suspensions, depending on the number of the offense
----Accidental infractions also look at a 2 year period, with only 1 infraction disappearing per year (a "repeat" accidental offender needs to be looked at more seriously)

--Instead of modifying the cap too much, just give each team a league minimum buffer; teams cannot exceed the cap unless there is a non-LTIR injury; in that case, Player X goes on normal IR and even if it means exceeding the cap, the team can recall a league minimum player from the minors and temporarily exceed the cap.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

dark_forces wrote:Since it's the dog days, what are some things you would change if you were in Bettman's shoes?

Enough with the AHL to NHL roster rules regarding player movement. NHL Franchises are not going broke. Each team has 5 million dollars to absorb the extra expenses ( in this case, 100k per game) to move Player X from the minor league to the NHL to suit up and play. If the NHL team moves the player back to the minor league, the NHL team pays a 100k penalty fee to the NHLPA per game to waiver exempt the player from any other NHL team.

If the NHL team is not satisfied with the promotion and still sends the player down without paying for the roster move,, then the player must clear waivers according to the bargaining agreement.

Union wins, player gets a full evaluation at the NHL level, NHL team wins.

I don't know; just tired being a hockey fan in a lawyers world with the contractual agreement Bu ll Sh it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Here's some of mine.

PLAYOFFS! Back to seeded 1-8 format. If you want to have a play in round, fine - #8 and #9 seeds do a best of 3 or 5 wild card series. (would have been really interesting this last season)

All Star game for sure - go back to East vs. West please! Do the same format with a "Young Stars" game.

Get suspensions, fines, etc. in order, standardized and STICK TO IT!

I've always liked the idea of a "franchise tag" - that player's salary does not count against the cap.

Let the goalies out of that silly little box to play the puck! Also, let them cross center ice if they want to come up and keep play alive or take a shot on goal.

Delay of game, puck over the glass - This should only be enforced if the play was clearly intentional.

Oh, yeah - fix the points system. I really do not like it.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Go back to the Wales and Campbell conferences, just so I can hear Marv Albert say “For the Wales…” a few dozen more times like in the 1990 All-Star game.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

End the shoot out. After 5 mins of 3 on 3 OT- guess what, it's a tie. This type of OT is more exciting than the shoot out.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

penny lane wrote:End the shoot out. After 5 mins of 3 on 3 OT- guess what, it's a tie. This type of OT is more exciting than the shoot out.
I know the league doesn't like ties, but I'm not a big shootout fan either. I would like to see them extend the OT to say 10 minutes 3 on 3, and then if neither team scores, it's a tie. But then if it ends in a tie, do both teams get 1 point for making it to OT? That was always a silly rule. You get 1 point for not losing in regulation. Should be 2 points for a win and 1 for a tie like it used to be.

I don't see them getting rid of the shoot-out or going back to ties though.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

KG wrote:
penny lane wrote:End the shoot out. After 5 mins of 3 on 3 OT- guess what, it's a tie. This type of OT is more exciting than the shoot out.
I know the league doesn't like ties, but I'm not a big shootout fan either. I would like to see them extend the OT to say 10 minutes 3 on 3, and then if neither team scores, it's a tie. But then if it ends in a tie, do both teams get 1 point for making it to OT? That was always a silly rule. You get 1 point for not losing in regulation. Should be 2 points for a win and 1 for a tie like it used to be.

I don't see them getting rid of the shoot-out or going back to ties though.
I would still have a shootout, but only with a max of 5 skaters go for each side. If it's still tied after that, it goes down as a tie with no extra point awarded.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Pitts wrote:
Here's some of mine.

PLAYOFFS! Back to seeded 1-8 format. If you want to have a play in round, fine - #8 and #9 seeds do a best of 3 or 5 wild card series. (would have been really interesting this last season)

All Star game for sure - go back to East vs. West please! Do the same format with a "Young Stars" game.

Get suspensions, fines, etc. in order, standardized and STICK TO IT!

I've always liked the idea of a "franchise tag" - that player's salary does not count against the cap.

Let the goalies out of that silly little box to play the puck! Also, let them cross center ice if they want to come up and keep play alive or take a shot on goal.

Delay of game, puck over the glass - This should only be enforced if the play was clearly intentional.

Oh, yeah - fix the points system. I really do not like it.
I agree with letting the goalies play the puck. If they want to take the risk, let them. The only other thing—and it's just personal preference—would be to go back to the city name for teams. No more Arizona Coyotes, Colorado Avs, Florida Panthers, instead switch to: Phoenix Coyotes, Denver Avs, Miami Panthers...The only pass would be Minnesota & Carolina because the alternatives don't work.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Bruins sign Alex Chiasson to a PTO.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Brandon Hagel gets a max 8 year deal, 6.5M AAV. 30 goals, 64 points last year in his first full season with Tampa. 25 goals, 44 points the year prior split between Chicago and Tampa.

EDIT: And if Hagel is getting 6.5M x 8 years...what's Jake Guentzel getting on a new deal?
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote:Brandon Hagel gets a max 8 year deal, 6.5M AAV. 30 goals, 64 points last year in his first full season with Tampa. 25 goals, 44 points the year prior split between Chicago and Tampa.

EDIT: And if Hagel is getting 6.5M x 8 years...what's Jake Guentzel getting on a new deal?
That seems like a sizable overpayment. He had one good year. Maybe 5.25 per season, but—6.5 for 8 years—that seems way out of whack.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

That's the way every team works in the NHL now. Overpay for way too long then retain a bunch of the salary years later to dump them. Retention should never have been allowed in the cba...it would likely have controlled SOME of the over payments.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

If most or all GMs see the use of retention - to either assemble a playoffs team while handcuffing the team later down the road - or to stock up on draft picks and prospects - this won't go away.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Puck-Lurker wrote:If most or all GMs see the use of retention - to either assemble a playoffs team while handcuffing the team later down the road - or to stock up on draft picks and prospects - this won't go away.
The only way it will is if players see they are being traded easier after signing expensive deals where they don’t want to but then I guess that’s why they have NTC and NMC. If anything this gets players more money so I doubt it’s something to strike over for the next CBA.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Austin Matthews 4 year 53M extension.
Last edited by Three Stars on Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Auston!
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Personally I think retention, NTC/NMC should all be forbidden. But, the owners like being able to mortgage the future with retention and players love over inflated salaries where they get paid no matter what so everyone wins except the fans, so it all stays. The important people win after all.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

13.25Mx4 for Matthews... But I haven't seen any talk of clauses. If he doesn't have a NTC or NMC it's not that bad.