Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Rocco wrote:I don't know if I'd go that far. I guess I'd say that people are using "culture change" because they can but they don't really know what it means or if it means anything. I'll quote Spencer Hall again:
They will use the word "culture" to defend what they do, mostly because using that word allows you to make up whatever you like without evidence, justification, or data.
IKTKHO, Hall is just playing the fool and is acting no differently than the Joe Paterno fans who argue that the email in the free report arent valid because they don't specifically spell out JOE PATERNO in big bold letters.

This isn't a court case where you have to show a bunch of jurors a bunch of evidence to prove something beyond a reasonable doubt.

From an accountants standpoint, what you and hall are saying reminds me a lot of what the accountants at Enron were saying about a lot of their financial shenanigans.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

AlexPKeaton wrote:I just read that the free transfers are only allowed within the conference? Can anyone else confirm or deny this? That sounds SUPER shady if true.
I thought free transfers were allowed within the conference, in addition to all other conferences. "In addition" being the operative word.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... ien_r.html

Who knows if he will live up to his words, but I respect the hell out of BOB.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Sarcastic wrote: Are there other people who were rumored to be involved and did not face charges as of yet? Curious about that, since I didn't follow the case too closely.
Not sure all those details. Like you, I've been kind of following from a distance.
Curley, Schultz, Spanier, Paterno. That's who we know is involved. Oh and maybe a few janitors, but because they blamed their inaction on being scared of a dead football coach, and being janitors, they are obviously not held to the same ethical standards as a college football coach and won't be prosecuted.
Who are these Curley, Schultz, Spanier guys and were they arrested?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shafnutz05 wrote:http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... ien_r.html

Who knows if he will live up to his words, but I respect the hell out of BOB.
Rebuilding things starts with people like him, so let's hope he is sincere about this.
(I don't know anything about the guy, but I assume he's not like "high octane".)
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

I really don't understand the 'culture change' aspect. Honestly, knowing PSU the way I do, all I see this doing is giving the base a bigger chip on the shoulder, and coming back even more obnoxious and loud once the program is back on track.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Rocco wrote:I don't know if I'd go that far. I guess I'd say that people are using "culture change" because they can but they don't really know what it means or if it means anything. I'll quote Spencer Hall again:
They will use the word "culture" to defend what they do, mostly because using that word allows you to make up whatever you like without evidence, justification, or data.
IKTKHO, Hall is just playing the fool and is acting no differently than the Joe Paterno fans who argue that the email in the free report arent valid because they don't specifically spell out JOE PATERNO in big bold letters.

This isn't a court case where you have to show a bunch of jurors a bunch of evidence to prove something beyond a reasonable doubt.

From an accountants standpoint, what you and hall are saying reminds me a lot of what the accountants at Enron were saying about a lot of their financial shenanigans.
Hall has no obedience to Paterno or PSU. Hall's point from the beginning has been that this matter is way bigger than anything the NCAA was ever meant to deal with. (His analogy from the beginning was it was akin to having a HOA investigate a triple murder.) And while it's not a standard court case, there are rules that generally need followed that weren't followed here.

The difference between Enron and PSU is that Enron was punished by organizations that clearly had the grounds to punish Enron, namely the Department of Justice and the bankruptcy courts. The fact that the only way the NCAA could do what it did today was because PSU agreed not to fight it pretty much says they didn't have the authority to do what they did.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

steve784 wrote:I really don't understand the 'culture change' aspect. Honestly, knowing PSU the way I do, all I see this doing is giving the base a bigger chip on the shoulder, and coming back even more obnoxious and loud once the program is back on track.
Is "changing the culture" going to involve telling people to take down statues of coaches?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

This is a clear case of shoot now, ask questions later. There is no way the NCAA comes out of this unscathed.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Rocco wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

Hall has no obedience to Paterno or PSU. Hall's point from the beginning has been that this matter is way bigger than anything the NCAA was ever meant to deal with. (His analogy from the beginning was it was akin to having a HOA investigate a triple murder.) And while it's not a standard court case, there are rules that generally need followed that weren't followed here.

The difference between Enron and PSU is that Enron was punished by organizations that clearly had the grounds to punish Enron, namely the Department of Justice and the bankruptcy courts. The fact that the only way the NCAA could do what it did today was because PSU agreed not to fight it pretty much says they didn't have the authority to do what they did.
It's a private organization and can do anything they damn well please, in regard to dictating the terms of a member's standing within said organization; whether you like it or not.
If Penn State hadn't signed and decided to sue, they could have said, "Fine, you're out of the NCAA."
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

steve784 wrote:I really don't understand the 'culture change' aspect. Honestly, knowing PSU the way I do, all I see this doing is giving the base a bigger chip on the shoulder, and coming back even more obnoxious and loud once the program is back on track.
I don't necessarily agree, but the culture to change is the culture in which a football coach's power exceeds that of the President and the Board of Trustees. I don't think anyone is out to get those tailgaters and people who paint their faces white and blue.

To be fair to PSU, they're certainly not the only school beholden to an athletics coach.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Taking scholarships away? Bad

Everything else? Not enough
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Rocco wrote:
Is "changing the culture" going to involve telling people to take down statues of coaches?
Not 100% sure I get where you're going with that. I think it's known in this thread that I am PSU alum. My point is, the attitude of the fans isn't going to be changed by these sanctions, and if anything the fanbase as a whole will be more 'obnoxious/loud/overbearing' or whatever people want to call it once the program essentially starts back up again.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

steve784 wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Not 100% sure I get where you're going with that. I think it's known in this thread that I am PSU alum. My point is, the attitude of the fans isn't going to be changed by these sanctions, and if anything the fanbase as a whole will be more 'obnoxious/loud/overbearing' or whatever people want to call it once the program essentially starts back up again.
I'm just trying to figure out what people mean by changing the culture.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Taking scholarships away? Bad

Everything else? Not enough
What else would you do?
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Rocco wrote:
steve784 wrote:
Rocco wrote:
I'm just trying to figure out what people mean by changing the culture.
Haha, I guess me too.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

steve784 wrote:
Rocco wrote:
I don't think changing fan opinion is really the goal.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

@DanWetzel

In 2010 Penn State played Ohio State in a game both sides have now vacated.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

steve784 wrote:
@DanWetzel

:scared:
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

columbia wrote:It's a private organization and can do anything they damn well please, in regard to dictating the terms of a member's standing within said organization; whether you like it or not.
If Penn State hadn't signed and decided to sue, they could have said, "Fine, you're out of the NCAA."
Which of course would have wrecked everything about PSU and given the NCAA zero cover for their actions. I doubt the NCAA had any interest in pulling the pin on that grenade.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

steve784 wrote:
@DanWetzel

doesn't make any sense, can't have two teams vacate a win in the same game. Only one team can win and have that win vacated.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

columbia wrote:
steve784 wrote:
@DanWetzel

:scared:
I feel like somewhere in some alternate universe people who attended that game are disappearing off of a photograph.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Wait how? Shouldn't there only be 1 winner?
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Rylan wrote:Wait how? Shouldn't there only be 1 winner?
Stop bringing logic into this thread. There's no place for it.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Rylan wrote:Wait how? Shouldn't there only be 1 winner?
The NCAA can do as it pleases, apparently. Two winners from each game. Everyone gets a trophy and orange wedges at halftime.