George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by eddysnake »

3rd mountain cast as well
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Spoiler:
At least they won't have to cast him again after this. :pop:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

eddysnake wrote:3rd mountain cast as well
Good. The last guy was not up to snuff
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I have 85 more pages in Clash of Kings.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Just started Dance With Dragons. Almost hesitant to finish because I don't wanna wait YEARS TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

GSdrums87 wrote:Just started Dance With Dragons. Almost hesitant to finish because I don't wanna wait YEARS TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
just start all over again and eventually you will be able to move right into Winds of Winter
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

GSdrums87 wrote:Just started Dance With Dragons. Almost hesitant to finish because I don't wanna wait YEARS TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
after that start reading, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. there's 2 books now and the trilogy is supposed to be ending next spring. IMO, they are superior to anything GRRM has written. I've liked asoiaf, but these have been great to fill that void.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

I will remember this, friend. My brain needs the constant book-readings.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

What is The Name of the Wind about?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Spangler wrote:What is The Name of the Wind about?
it's told from a first person POV. Kvothe (the main character) tell his life story to a chronicler. It's set in a realistic world with magic that is more or less science based than anything. Deals with alchemy and thermodynamics, very interesting and detailed to read about. He's pretty much this gifted kid that learns about this stuff young and uses his talents throughout his life. I like it because he's not invincible like a lot of these books, he makes a lot of mistakes and deals with it. The university stuff grabs a lot of attention to Harry Potter, but it's really not too much like that, much more adult oriented. Like ice and fire, it's very detailed, but in a much more interesting way. I'm reading both books again and find them even better this time around.

this is from the back of the book
I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

So begins the tale of Kvothe—from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But The Name of the Wind is so much more—for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.
It gets tremendous praise, I believe PFiDC mentioned the books on here which led to me reading it. Very hard to put down, his writing is excellent, I'd go as far as saying one of the top 3 books I've ever read in the genre and one of my favorite ever. Highly recommend checking it out.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Name-Wind-Kin ... 0756404746
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

I'll be reading this as soon as I'm done with DwD.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Just finished Clash of Kings last night (after 4 months of reading). Can't wait to start Storm of Swords (which should take me a year to read).
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/05/game-of-thrones-styr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Magnar of Thenn has been cast.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/05/game-of-thrones-styr/

Magnar of Thenn has been cast.
Why? Didn't they pretty much merge Styr into Tormund?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I'll probably finish the 4th book this weekend.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

proud of you Idoit
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

http://books.google.com/books/about/The ... aUL97RrHwC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the 5th one right? It looks like a long one.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

That's it. I'm only a few chapters in. I can't guess who the Ice Dragon is yet, but I have my suspicions...
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I need to pick this back up again. I'm about 50 pages into Storm of Swords, but I haven't read it in about a month.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I bought the first 4 as a single file on whatever program came with my phone, so I don't even know which book is which aside from the first. I just know that the file has about 400 pages left so it has to be the last of 4. :pop:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Apparently Neil Marshall is directing the 9th episode of the upcoming season. Given the job he did on Blackwater, I am really looking forward to that. A few comments from the man himself on the episode:
Spoiler:
The story will focus on the battle for Castle Black, and, in classic near-finale style, it will be epic — and bloody. "Three different battles going on at the same time in different places," Marshall explains.

Approximately 200 extras were needed for the episode, plus a large stunt crew, “including this amazing bunch of Hungarian stunt guys." And, there's a set upgrade, too. Along with the preexisting Castle Black set at Magheramorne Quarry, the team built another portion within the Paint Hall for the top of the Wall. It's so huge it took up the entire studio.

There's going to be "a few beheadings in there," Marshall jokes. "And yeah, we got to blow some people up, set people on fire and do quite a few high falls."
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

the wicked child wrote:Apparently Neil Marshall is directing the 9th episode of the upcoming season. Given the job he did on Blackwater, I am really looking forward to that. A few comments from the man himself on the episode:
Spoiler:
The story will focus on the battle for Castle Black, and, in classic near-finale style, it will be epic — and bloody. "Three different battles going on at the same time in different places," Marshall explains.

Approximately 200 extras were needed for the episode, plus a large stunt crew, “including this amazing bunch of Hungarian stunt guys." And, there's a set upgrade, too. Along with the preexisting Castle Black set at Magheramorne Quarry, the team built another portion within the Paint Hall for the top of the Wall. It's so huge it took up the entire studio.

There's going to be "a few beheadings in there," Marshall jokes. "And yeah, we got to blow some people up, set people on fire and do quite a few high falls."
:thumb:

One of the scenes I was looking forward to the most.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I was just thinking that I'm glad I already know the basic story from having read the books... it would be a nearly impossible task to avoid being spoiled otherwise. For instance: I did a google search for "game of thrones season 4" the other day looking to see if there was any official word on the start date for the next season (beyond "Spring 2014").

One of the results on the first page had the title 'Game of Thrones' Season 4 Spoilers <insert major event>. Right in the damn search result title.

Actual title: (pro-tip: MAJOR S4/Storm of Swords spoiler within)
Spoiler:
'Game of Thrones' Season 4 Spoilers King Joffrey Poisoned to Death!
All that from a fairly benign search...

I'm glad nothing was spoiled for me really when I read the books. Well, other than being mad at someone for mentioning which characters had chapters in ADWD, but only in a GRRM book would that be considered spoiler material. :)
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Finally started reading Storm of Swords again last night after a 2 month hiatous (sp? ).
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Looking over the casting list for Season 4, I think we are going to see a lot more of Book 4 and 5 than we might have expected. If they start trying to streamline that material, I am ok with that, but it does concern me in regards to catching up with the books.