2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by penny lane »

Then Sid is smart enough to realize coaching let the team down too.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:09 am Sid realizes he is done winning at this point in his career. He can read the tea leaves. We need to unload these late 30 year old geriatrics, and he knows that this team hasn't been able to retool over the last decade. He probably wants to chase the cup one last time (knowing he can still play at a high level) but his legacy would be tainted if he leaves this organization. I would be downcast/depressed if I was in his position as well.
Yes. I agree. Hard position to be in. Is playing for one team a big enough deal to prevent yourself from ever winning the cup again? That is a tough question.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:35 am
Dynasty1970 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:09 am Sid realizes he is done winning at this point in his career. He can read the tea leaves. We need to unload these late 30 year old geriatrics, and he knows that this team hasn't been able to retool over the last decade. He probably wants to chase the cup one last time (knowing he can still play at a high level) but his legacy would be tainted if he leaves this organization. I would be downcast/depressed if I was in his position as well.
Yes. I agree. Hard position to be in. Is playing for one team a big enough deal to prevent yourself from ever winning the cup again? That is a tough question.
Yeah, and I'm not sure which way Crosby will go. He's obviously super competitive, and I'm sure would love at least another deep playoff run or two to cap his career. But he also really seems to value loyalty and sticking with the people who got him to where is (witness all his trips back to Cole Harbour with the Cup).
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

Pens4Life wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:57 pm
yinzer69 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:39 pm
Wyopen wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:29 pm
Ericf wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:43 pm Anyone who can’t see that Dubas CAN’T fire Sullivan hasn’t been reading the tea leaves, or listening to his press conferences lol. I for one will be extremely excited to see Sullivan “fixing” our best prospects over the next three years. This organization has really fallen off under FSG
Totally agree. I think KD is a puppet. I wonder why he even took the position of POHO/GM if his hands were going to be tied.
Disagree, Dubas didn't come here to be anyone's puppet. It was no sure thing he even wanted the job. They literally had to wine and dine Dubas and his family. He didn't come here without full and total control. Period. These last few weeks have convinced me I think Sully's expiration date has been hit and a new coaching staff is needed by the way.
New coaching staff was needed year ago and now even more obvious.. but the big question remains,will KD make a change in offseason!? By his comments so far, Sullivan is staying,regardless..
I would take any comments Dubas makes about Sully or the coach staff with a grain of salt. What is he going to do? come out and blast Sully in a press conference??? Maybe he believes what he says...to be fair Sully is a very good coach, just his expiration date in Pittsburgh has expired, but what else do u expect him to say?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ottawa has recalled a forward from the AHL; a strong indication they plan to sit Tarasenko tonight.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Man, I can't wait for Sid to sign that extension on 7/1 so we can finally put all this nonsense about his departure, to rest.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I keep circling back to the Wings being hot for Rust. I think KD should at least broach the subject with Rust. "We love you here, but just wanted to know if you'd be open to going to your hometown team?" It's not some indictment of Rust as a player or as a person, it's just common sense. If Detroit can blow KD away with an offer, how can he not ask Rust about it? If they are able to trade both Guentzel & Rust for some great prospects who are either just in the league or ready to be, that makes them younger and hungrier in a hurry. Plus, any other assets they can get for other players (Smith, Eller, a goalie, even Chad) help their organizational depth.

FLPF mentioned years ago that they had the chance to retool on the fly. Then, as now, I wished he was the GM. That retool on the fly scenario ship sailed and they've wasted at least 3 years of Crosby at a high level. That said, they are in a spot right now where they could make some key trades and replenish the team and the entire organization in a hurry. Not championship level, maybe, right off, but they could ice a young, fast, hungry group around the core next season, which in my eyes can't be worse to watch than what we've dealt with the last couple of years.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

If I had to take a guess on who is traded this deadline, here is who I would guess:
- Jake
- Ned
- Smith
- Carter
- Ruh

Hopefully
- Graves

That is a lot, but Ned has most likely priced himself out of an affordable backup for us. Carter is gone anyways, and some team will want a vet for the playoff run. Smith needs a change of scenery and there are a lot of teams that remember him with Vegas last season as being a key piece to the playoffs. Jake is the gem. Ruh is a very cheap serviceable d-man.

Graves would need to be a special situation. Hopefully Dubas finds a suitor.
Last edited by lemieuxReturns on Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I'm thinking Eller is gone as well. He's been a nice signing but I think they sell high on him. That's one reason I feel that he was stuck on the wing last night and O'Connor was their 3rd-line center - they were get DOC in a spot where he may finish the season.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:53 am If I had to take a guess on who is traded this deadline, here is who I would guess:
- Jake
- Ned
- Smith
- Carter
- Ruh

Hopefully
- Graves

That is a lot, but Ned has most likely priced himself out of an affordable backup for us. Carter is gone anyways, and some team will want a vet for the playoff run. Smith needs a change of scenery and there are a lot of teams that remember him with Vegas last season as being a key piece to the playoffs. Jake is the gem. Ruh is a very cheap serviceable d-man.

Graves would need to be a special satiation. Hopefully Dubas finds a suitor.
I wonder how many teams will view Smith and Graves as more the Sullivan influence than loss of skills they had prior to Sullivan. Same with Karlsson. These 3 players didn't forget how to play hockey.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Daniel wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:00 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:53 am If I had to take a guess on who is traded this deadline, here is who I would guess:
- Jake
- Ned
- Smith
- Carter
- Ruh

Hopefully
- Graves

Graves would need to be a special satiation. Hopefully Dubas finds a suitor.
I wonder how many teams will view Smith and Graves as more the Sullivan influence than loss of skills they had prior to Sullivan. Same with Karlsson. These 3 players didn't forget how to play hockey.
Nylander leaving and instantly performing helps with that perception I would think.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

ahawk9 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:42 am I keep circling back to the Wings being hot for Rust. I think KD should at least broach the subject with Rust. "We love you here, but just wanted to know if you'd be open to going to your hometown team?" It's not some indictment of Rust as a player or as a person, it's just common sense. If Detroit can blow KD away with an offer, how can he not ask Rust about it? If they are able to trade both Guentzel & Rust for some great prospects who are either just in the league or ready to be, that makes them younger and hungrier in a hurry. Plus, any other assets they can get for other players (Smith, Eller, a goalie, even Chad) help their organizational depth.

FLPF mentioned years ago that they had the chance to retool on the fly. Then, as now, I wished he was the GM. That retool on the fly scenario ship sailed and they've wasted at least 3 years of Crosby at a high level. That said, they are in a spot right now where they could make some key trades and replenish the team and the entire organization in a hurry. Not championship level, maybe, right off, but they could ice a young, fast, hungry group around the core next season, which in my eyes can't be worse to watch than what we've dealt with the last couple of years.
Larkin is out 2 weeks, who is slated to take his spot between Kane and Debrincat? Joe Veleno, I'm interested in seeing how he looks.

Veleno would be a good piece to get back for Rust. Issue with Veleno is his CF isn't good despite an almost even ozone done split and he's never been a plus player even this season on a good Detroit team. He also has a sub 50 FO win percentage.

If you are looking at young 3C targets which we MUST be I think I would rather have McLeod over Veleno. Problem is Edmonton isn't looking at Rust
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:31 am Ottawa has recalled a forward from the AHL; a strong indication they plan to sit Tarasenko tonight.

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Taj
@taj1944
Lebrun saying Vegas no longer front runner for Guentzel

Lebrun saying Canucks were poking around pretty good on Guentzel. 3 team conversation was happening between Canucks, Pens and Bruins. He doesn't know if they can pull it off but conversations have happened
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pcmforless »

KG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:10 pm Taj
@taj1944

Lebrun saying Canucks were poking around pretty good on Guentzel. 3 team conversation was happening between Canucks, Pens and Bruins. He doesn't know if they can pull it off but conversations have happened
Hopefully they don't hold on too long and have all the good suitors find other players and get left holding the bag. Really need some nice returns out of the selloff to kickstart the rebuild.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

@taj1944

Boston wants to move DeBrusk he would be a younger Rust replacement if there was a sign and trade in place

I could see Guentzel to VAN
Lindholm to BOS
Debrusk extended to PIT along with additional pieces
Last edited by thehockeyguru on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

pcmforless wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:15 pm
@taj1944

Hopefully they don't hold on too long and have all the good suitors find other players and get left holding the bag. Really need some nice returns out of the selloff to kickstart the rebuild.
Maybe this is the year Carolina pony's up. They definitely have the assets to get Jake.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

thehockeyguru wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:15 pm
@taj1944

Boston wants to move DeBrusk he would be a younger Rust replacement if there was a sign and trade in place
And we wouldn't have to discontinue the Jake Shakes either.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:57 am
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:31 am Ottawa has recalled a forward from the AHL; a strong indication they plan to sit Tarasenko tonight.

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
Ottawa retains 50 percent on Tarasenko in the trade with Florida.
Going to Ottawa from Florida:
2024 4th RD pick (which becomes 2026 3rd RD pick if Panthers win Cup)
2025 3rd Rd pick

Garbage trade by Ottawa.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Coffey Break wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:17 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:15 pm Boston wants to move DeBrusk he would be a younger Rust replacement if there was a sign and trade in place
And we wouldn't have to discontinue the Jake Shakes either.
Yeah, I'm really feeling this is getting overlooked. :lol:
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

KG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:19 pm

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
2025 3rd Rd pick

Garbage trade by Ottawa.
So far the returns to teams selling has been less than ideal
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Rangers are now rumored to have serious interest for Jake....
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Skatingpen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:21 pm

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
2025 3rd Rd pick

Garbage trade by Ottawa.
In Tarasenkos case, he told Ottawa he wanted to go to Florida and had a no trade clause. Limits the return when you are forced to deal with one team. Kind of like we are screwed if Jake says he doesn't want to go to Vancouver (current hot rumor landig spot)
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:25 pm
Skatingpen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:21 pm

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
2025 3rd Rd pick

Garbage trade by Ottawa.
In Tarasenkos case, he told Ottawa he wanted to go to Florida and had a no trade clause. Limits the return when you are forced to deal with one team. Kind of like we are screwed if Jake says he doesn't want to go to Vancouver (current hot rumor landig spot)
Great point
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

yinzer69 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:42 am
Pens4Life wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:57 pm
yinzer69 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:39 pm
Wyopen wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:29 pm
Ericf wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:43 pm Anyone who can’t see that Dubas CAN’T fire Sullivan hasn’t been reading the tea leaves, or listening to his press conferences lol. I for one will be extremely excited to see Sullivan “fixing” our best prospects over the next three years. This organization has really fallen off under FSG
Totally agree. I think KD is a puppet. I wonder why he even took the position of POHO/GM if his hands were going to be tied.
Disagree, Dubas didn't come here to be anyone's puppet. It was no sure thing he even wanted the job. They literally had to wine and dine Dubas and his family. He didn't come here without full and total control. Period. These last few weeks have convinced me I think Sully's expiration date has been hit and a new coaching staff is needed by the way.
New coaching staff was needed year ago and now even more obvious.. but the big question remains,will KD make a change in offseason!? By his comments so far, Sullivan is staying,regardless..
I would take any comments Dubas makes about Sully or the coach staff with a grain of salt. What is he going to do? come out and blast Sully in a press conference??? Maybe he believes what he says...to be fair Sully is a very good coach, just his expiration date in Pittsburgh has expired, but what else do u expect him to say?
I agree to some extent, but he could just stay neutral, not praising him that much..