Official GDT: Pens vs Coyotes 12/12/23

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Coyotes 12/12/23

Post by Maestro »

DelPen wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:38 pm Carter deserves the helmet tonight.
Welcome back Carter.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

Good early effort and carried the play most of the night,the energy was evident.
PP got the 2 goals,made a difference no doubt.Still looked like the same problem group outside of Puustinens early shift.
Jarry had a solid outing.Made big saves in the 2nd to keep it tied.
3rd Line with strong shifts and good forecheck especially late.Not a good night from Karlsson or Letang with turnovers and poor decisions.
Carter with 2 Goals and a (gasp!) strong game.Guentzel was the best player on the ice all night IMHO.

A much needed win.Yotes were in a tough stretch and the Pens definitely were the better team.
A lot of terrible officiating kept this from being a less stressful victory than it was.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Maestro wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:49 pm
DelPen wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:38 pm Carter deserves the helmet tonight.
Welcome back Carter.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Wasn't home to watch the game tonight. I do find it interesting that the guy the Sullivan never wants to seem to recall from WBS, Puustinen, collects his 3rd career assist tonight in his 3rd NHL game.

The guy seems to be a good passer, has a rocket shot, and plays well overall. He's not a defensive ace by any means, but he's not a liability either. If Rakell comes back Saturday, I'd like to see Puustinen stay in the top 6 until he doesn't look good or Rust returns.

Another "prospect" Nylander is probably on his last legs to do something here. 5 games this year, and 9 last season...only a goal and an assist last year to show for it. Showing more and more like Nylander is a guy that just cannot produce at the NHL speed of the game.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:09 am Wasn't home to watch the game tonight. I do find it interesting that the guy the Sullivan never wants to seem to recall from WBS, Puustinen, collects his 3rd career assist tonight in his 3rd NHL game.

The guy seems to be a good passer, has a rocket shot, and plays well overall. He's not a defensive ace by any means, but he's not a liability either. If Rakell comes back Saturday, I'd like to see Puustinen stay in the top 6 until he doesn't look good or Rust returns.

Another "prospect" Nylander is probably on his last legs to do something here. 5 games this year, and 9 last season...only a goal and an assist last year to show for it. Showing more and more like Nylander is a guy that just cannot produce at the NHL speed of the game.
Or put Rust or Rakell on the 3rd line to potentially have 3 scoring lines. Rather Rust since he's better defensively and that'll make the 3rd line more of a two way line.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Daniel wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:18 am
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:09 am Wasn't home to watch the game tonight. I do find it interesting that the guy the Sullivan never wants to seem to recall from WBS, Puustinen, collects his 3rd career assist tonight in his 3rd NHL game.

Or put Rust or Rakell on the 3rd line to potentially have 3 scoring lines. Rather Rust since he's better defensively and that'll make the 3rd line more of a two way line.
It will never happen with Sullivan, as we can all surmise. But I heartily second your suggestion. And I think we need to start a petition and pass it around to FINALLY put Rakell back with Sid when he's back from his injury (another thing I highly doubt will happen).

59-87-67
19-71-48
10-20-17

All of a sudden, that's not a shabby top 9 if Puustinen can continue to stick and do the little things well. I also think that third line could be a very interesting and solid 2-way mix.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I've written a lot of negative comments recently, so now I just want to say that game was very enjoyable. It's not like the Pens ran away with it, but they were the better team throughout, I thought (aside from the PK), had good energy, and got contributions from unexpected sources (Puustinen and Carter). More of those games, please!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Daniel wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:18 am

I'd be down for that! Leave O'Connor with Sid for a good run, Pusty with Malkin. I'd have to think a line of Rackell Eller Rust would be pretty damn good!

(Sully will NEVER do it)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I realize you didn't say both, but You'd end up with:

Jake Sid O'Connor
Smith Malkin Pustinen
Rackell Eller Rust
Any 4th line out of the rest
That's a deep top 9
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pitts wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:00 am I realize you didn't say both, but You'd end up with:

Jake Sid O'Connor
Smith Malkin Pustinen
Rackell Eller Rust
Any 4th line out of the rest
That's a deep top 9
I think that would be perfect. I think Smith is good/decent defensively and hits, same with DOC, 3rd line has speed, defense, and can score. 4th line can be the ZAR line from a few years ago, just cycle your entire shift and don't give up a goal. Heck, 4th line centered by Poulin with Acciari and even Carter as wingers, get Poulin acclimated to the rigors of the NHL and if he earns 3C you have Eller as 4C with 4 pretty good centers.

You have some youth up and down the lineup for that enthusiasm as well.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Based on some of the posts here, I wouldn't hold my breath about one game suddenly being the rebirth of Jeff Carter. We've been witnessing the latest version of Jeff Carter for quite a while now. Hopefully, last night does give him a jump start, but I'm not counting on it. Not to take anything away from his performance last night. He finally had a decent game.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Badger Bob wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:38 pm ...I wouldn't hold my breath about one game suddenly being the rebirth of Jeff Carter.

:lol: