Closing the book on 06-07....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Skeletons of Quinto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Skeletons of Quinto »

Ogie wrote:My point is this numbskull said Thoburn did his role, but ignores the fact that Thoburn performed his role so greatly, he couldn't even get in the lineup.

If what Thoburn accomplished is fulfilling your role, then Cairns def did with one shift and one fight, especially considering he got praised from Therrien after the game.
ThoRburn fulfilled his role when he got into the lineup. He's a good fourth liner, and unfortunately for him, we had great depth on lines 3-4 this year. Thorburn caught an unlucky break when Petrovicky got the call coming back from injury, and the pens went on a tear. When you go on a streak like the Pens did, you DON'T change the lineup. Additionally, Petrovicky was playing really well. Next thing you know, we acquire more forwards at the deadline, and Thorburn is the odd man out. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS IN HOCKEY. Alot of times a healthy scratch has no reflection on player, and external factors (a win streak, the need for a top enforcer) factor in.
gigz51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by gigz51 »

Ogie wrote:My point is this numbskull said Thoburn did his role, but ignores the fact that Thoburn performed his role so greatly, he couldn't even get in the lineup.

If what Thoburn accomplished is fulfilling your role, then Cairns def did with one shift and one fight, especially considering he got praised from Therrien after the game.
Ok, listen, without throwing insults, because I have quite a few I'll refrain from, please read and comprehend. Take a few minutes if needed. Please tell me why he didn't fill his role of playing physical and forechecking/cycling, and even a bonus of answering the bell when it rang? Do not tell me because he didn't crack the line up. That's all I want to hear from you. A reason why. I don't get these examples you're giving. They're completely irrelevant to what I am trying to get through to you.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Go to the 1:50 mark.
gigz51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by gigz51 »

Ogie wrote:How can you ay he did fulfill this role? This is what I am not understanding. If he did, he would have been in the lineup more, but since you seem to be questioning Therrien, why not email him and ask him.
You are the one telling me he didn't fulfill his role. I gave examples of how he did in a previous post, and now I have been patiently waiting to hear how he didn't do it, but instead I keep hearing about how big of a numbskull I am for saying such blasphemy, and since he didn't make the lineup he must suck. Great way to prove your point with that. And this will help with why he wasn't in the lineup...
Skeletons of Quinto wrote:ThoRburn fulfilled his role when he got into the lineup. He's a good fourth liner, and unfortunately for him, we had great depth on lines 3-4 this year. Thorburn caught an unlucky break when Petrovicky got the call coming back from injury, and the pens went on a tear. When you go on a streak like the Pens did, you DON'T change the lineup. Additionally, Petrovicky was playing really well. Next thing you know, we acquire more forwards at the deadline, and Thorburn is the odd man out. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS IN HOCKEY. Alot of times a healthy scratch has no reflection on player, and external factors (a win streak, the need for a top enforcer) factor in.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by magnum »

can't believe i missed repEatdog's big steaming pile of poo grading list.

i'll admit, his grades are about as out there as they can get. no rational person with an ounce of intelligence drops these grades, but coming from repEatdog. I expected nothing less :lol:
edog

Post by edog »

magnum wrote:can't believe i missed repEatdog's big steaming pile of poo grading list.

i'll admit, his grades are about as out there as they can get. no rational person with an ounce of intelligence drops these grades, but coming from repEatdog. I expected nothing less :lol:
you just keep dropping the intelligent insults magnum & the real hockey people will do the analysis.....
edog

Post by edog »

Samuelsson wrote:
edog wrote:You think either Whitney or Gonchar is better than Lindstrom.... :lol:

Malkin has a whole other level he rarely went to this season....that's why I graded him the way I did....
It's Lidstrom.

Even though I agree that Malkin has another level in him, you gotta give the guy some time. You can't expect everyone to develop as quickly as Crosby. And 85 points IS great for a rookie season. Actually, for most players it would qualify as a career year. D+? No way. At least a B.

Then why wasn't he here last year? That is really the crux of it....the Olympics were more important to him.....

The Whitney grade is laughable also. One of the best young offensive defenseman in the league, if not the best. And that's mostly coming from people outside of Pittsburgh.

Who? Because I've watched him all year long & haven't seen any improvement in his play. Good young defensemen have more than one trick & they make adjustments. What adjustments did he make to his game?

What the heck did you expect from this team?

From this year, actually a lot less. However, the bar has been raised...
edog

Post by edog »

Rocco wrote:

Go to the 1:50 mark.
I never once denied the talent & skill. I just question the committment & heart.....
ams
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ams »

Why wasn't Malkin here last year? Are you serious? Have you missed the whole saga? He was never really expected to be here in 05/06, and, if anything playing one more year in Russia was more important to him, not the Olympics. God forbid a 19 year old kid doesn't jump into a new nation, playing a new brand of hockey when he's still got a year left on a contract. It's very, very easy to say things about the kid's heart, desire, and drive, but I can tell you very honestly that I might not have had the guts to skip training camp in Finland, and I'm betting you might not have either.

When you've left your homeland for a place that you don't speak the language, worked almost double the time you're used to, getting beat up more than you have before, with a shoulder injury to boot, and you still do a better job than anyone with your experience, feel free to speak so freely of Malkin's supposed character faults. Until then, perhaps step down from the soapbox to look at things a little more realistically.
edog

Post by edog »

ams wrote:Why wasn't Malkin here last year? Are you serious? Have you missed the whole saga? He was never really expected to be here in 05/06, and, if anything playing one more year in Russia was more important to him, not the Olympics. God forbid a 19 year old kid doesn't jump into a new nation, playing a new brand of hockey when he's still got a year left on a contract. It's very, very easy to say things about the kid's heart, desire, and drive, but I can tell you very honestly that I might not have had the guts to skip training camp in Finland, and I'm betting you might not have either.

When you've left your homeland for a place that you don't speak the language, worked almost double the time you're used to, getting beat up more than you have before, with a shoulder injury to boot, and you still do a better job than anyone with your experience, feel free to speak so freely of Malkin's supposed character faults. Until then, perhaps step down from the soapbox to look at things a little more realistically.
Spare me...he was drafted 3 years ago & had plenty of time to learn the language....but chose not to....

You know its funny, but his buddy Ovechkin couldn't wait to get over here & start competing in the top league....& still managed to play in the Olympics....that's called drive....

Playing in the NHL is a privilege & an honor....
ams
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ams »

Ovechkin came to the US when he was 20. So did Malkin.

So not learning English is indicative of a lack of heart and desire?

I don't care whether Ovechkin played in the Olympics, and I already said that it doesn't make sense that Malkin stayed in Russia an extra year only for that reason, with Ovechkin being a prime reason of why he could've done both.

Playing in the NHL is a privilege, I suppose, but what of guys like Erik Johnson? Should be be doubted for staying in school for a year before signing with the Blues?
shotty71

Re: Closing the book on 06-07....

Post by shotty71 »

edog wrote:My year-end rant.....grade for the entire team....

Centers:
1) Erik Christensen: C+. Highly effective on shootouts, good wrist shoot. Disappeared during playoffs.
2) Sidney Crosby: A+. Art Ross winner & probable Hart Trophy winner. Enough said
3) Evgeni Malkin: D+. Will win Calder, but did not come close to realizing full potential. Wasted year in RBL, called out by MT on numerous occasions. Needs to address attitude towards pro hockey & add upper body strength
4) Jordan Staal: A+. Set rookie record for SHG & put in Selke candidate season. Surprisingly made team out of Junior & had solid playoff.
5) Max Talbot: A+. Gritty 3rd/4th line center who gave solid efforts night in, night out.
6) Chris Thorburn: Not enough data to grade, though in limited performances, provided solid gritty play in the corners

Right Wings:
1) Colby Armstrong: B. Not a great year statistically, but made huge hits & elevated play in postseason.
2) Ryan Malone: D-. Aside from work on the PK, looked lost on the ice.
3) Michel Ouellet: C+. Slow starter, but picked up play down the stretch.
4) Ronald Petrovicky: B. Was healthy scratch many game nights, but played inspired gritty style when in. Had outstanding Game 4 in playoffs.
5) Mark Recchi: B. Had solid regular season with 24 goals, but no-show during playoffs.

Left Wings:
1) Nils Ekman: F. Was supposed to compliment Crosby on wing, played soft all season when healthy
2) Georges Laraque: D. Did not fill role assigned adequately after trade.
3) Gary Roberts: A+ Consummate warrior on the ice. Mentored Jordan Staal
4) Jarkko Ruutu: B+. Another solid, gritty 3rd/4th line player

Defensemen:
1) Eric Cairns: Was hurt almost all season.
2) Mark Eaton: C. Blocked shoots reasonably well, but never played physical style on defense
3) Sergei Gonchar: B. Solid regular season, horrible playoff
4) Joel Kwiatkowski: Not enough data to grade
5) Josef Melichar: F Terrible positioning & atrocious play in own zone
6) Alain Nasreddine: D-. Would be an “Fâ€￾ on any other team, but he probably was the best of a sorry bunch
7) Brooks Orpik: D-. Solid hitter, but ran around in own zone.
8) Rob Scuderi: F. see Melichar
9) Ryan Whitney: F. Terrible positioning & atrocious play in own zone. Offensively minded, but had only one play on the PP unit. Looked timid on the point.

Goalies
1) Marc-Andre Fleury: A+. Came off questionable year last year & put together 40 win season. Lived up to expectations for a former #1 overall pick
2) Jocelyn Thibault B. Solid backup netminder

Coaching: B+. A+ in regular season will merit MT Jack Adams consideration. Looked lost in postseason & got out coached by Bryan Murray

Keep: Christensen, Crosby, Staal, Talbot, Thorburn, Armstrong, Ouellet, Petrovicky Laraque, Roberts, Ruutu, Orpik, Fleury, Thibault

Trade: Malkin, Malone, Eaton, Gonchar, Whitney

Release: Recchi, Ekman, Kwiatkowski, Melichar, Nasreddine, Scuderi

Needs in offseason (order of precedence):
1) shut-down defensemen.
2) wing for Sid/wing for 2nd line
3) face off guy
4) backup goalie (if Thibault leaves)

You must be the biggest arse on this website! LOL
Last edited by shotty71 on Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
shotty71

Post by shotty71 »

edog wrote:
ams wrote:Why wasn't Malkin here last year? Are you serious? Have you missed the whole saga? He was never really expected to be here in 05/06, and, if anything playing one more year in Russia was more important to him, not the Olympics. God forbid a 19 year old kid doesn't jump into a new nation, playing a new brand of hockey when he's still got a year left on a contract. It's very, very easy to say things about the kid's heart, desire, and drive, but I can tell you very honestly that I might not have had the guts to skip training camp in Finland, and I'm betting you might not have either.

Spare me...he was drafted 3 years ago & had plenty of time to learn the language....but chose not to....

You know its funny, but his buddy Ovechkin couldn't wait to get over here & start competing in the top league....& still managed to play in the Olympics....that's called drive....

speaking of Drive, why don't you Drive your car into a wall
shotty71

Post by shotty71 »

Henry Hank wrote:This is a bait thread plain and simple. edog is a troll and nobody should take him seriously.
Well said HH
shotty71

Post by shotty71 »

edog wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:This is a bait thread plain and simple. edog is a troll and nobody should take him seriously.
Aside from Mad City Mike, I noticed no one else bothered to put together a grade for the team....I just merely broke mine down by player....
Because we are fans and notthing else, we don't know shat about what players feel and how they should or should not peform, thats up to the players themselves and the coaches and GM's to decide, you need to find another hobby, trout season jusdt opened, maybe its time to trade the keyboard in for a nice rod and reel
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

edog wrote:

:roll:

Wow...you've outdone yourself this time...

Representing your home country in the Olympics/World Championships/ect. is a privilege and an honor...most athletes would consider it the highest honor that can be bestowed upon them. Ask Sidney whether he would have considered it a privilege and an honor to represent Canada last year.

Playing in the NHL is all about status and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

So by staying in Russia, Malkin gave up bright lights and $$$ of the NHL for 1 whole year to do something that he felt was very important to him. Well that would show great...what were those things that you openly question of Malkin's all the time? Oh yeah...commitment & heart. :P