Other NHL games 2014-2015 season

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Other NHL games 2014-2015 season

Post by dodint »

Sigwolf. Stomper of Dreams, Killer of Joy.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

dodint wrote:Sigwolf. Stomper of Dreams, Killer of Joy.
Any time it involves a Philadelphia-based team... heck yes, I am!
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

The word schadenfreude was specifically created for Flyers hockey.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Bruins looking to hurt the flyers chances today, up 3-1 on the wings
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Hate the flyers
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

What a goal by Semin.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hoc ... after-trip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

Flyers starting to unravel.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

cma3585 wrote:Flyers starting to unravel.
Too bad
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Couturier just about put the Flyers within one goal late, but missed an empty net on his backhand (and I mean missed). Elias springs Gionta for a breakaway to seal it. 5-2 Devils with less than five to go...
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

No excuse for the Pens to lose again to that 3-ring Flyers circus. Of course, i said that last time and the time before that.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

The dreaded 4-goal lead.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

First two paragraphs from Philly.com after today's game:

"That sound you just heard was the wheels falling off the Flyers’ bus on the New Jersey Turnpike.

With their Stanley Cup playoff hopes all but officially deflated when they gagged away a lead in the waning seconds in Boston on Saturday afternoon, the Flyers rolled over for a flogging against the Devils on Sunday night."

Edit: later in the article: "To add insult to injury, the Devils made sure to show plenty highlights of Ron Hextall getting lit up during the 1995 Eastern Conference final. The 20th anniversary of that Devils Stanley Cup championship team ..."
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Gaucho wrote:The dreaded 4-goal lead.
Indeed! Sens, at home, and fighting for the second wild card, luckily eked it out in the SO.

All 4 of Calgary's goals were in the last 13 min. and change in regulation. Kris Russell had 2 of them.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Ahhhhhhhhh! Again. nothing has fallen off the Flyer's bus, they've been out of the real playoff race for months. Nothing has changed. They never had legitimate playoff hopes. Since this talk has started, they've never been less than two teams out from a spot. It wasn't ever going to happen, now, it still isn't going to happen. No change. Trying to make a story where there never was a story.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Sigwolf wrote:Ahhhhhhhhh! Again. nothing has fallen off the Flyer's bus, they've been out of the real playoff race for months. Nothing has changed. They never had legitimate playoff hopes. Since this talk has started, they've never been less than two teams out from a spot. It wasn't ever going to happen, now, it still isn't going to happen. No change. Trying to make a story where there never was a story.
I am just enjoying their misery.

Edit: BTW, I am well aware the Flyers chances were slim-to-none of making the playoffs. Surprised at your comment.
Last edited by Humperdink on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

It always feels like the Flames are making 3rd period rallies...

Half (!) of their goals this year have come in the 3rd period or overtime...
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Rags win in OT. Arghhhh.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

My draftkings team sucked but Hoffman got that goal and then Talbot got the ot shutout...boom doubled my money.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Humperdink wrote:Edit: BTW, I am well aware the Flyers chances were slim-to-none of making the playoffs. Surprised at your comment.
It wasn't directed at you, but there have been a few people here, and several in the national media, that have been treating this like it was an actual thing for several months, even though, barring expected fluctuations up and down, their actual position in the conference hasn't changed much. Yes, they've been playing much better hockey since December, but they have never honestly been in the playoff picture.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Sigwolf wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Edit: BTW, I am well aware the Flyers chances were slim-to-none of making the playoffs. Surprised at your comment.
It wasn't directed at you, but there have been a few people here, and several in the national media, that have been treating this like it was an actual thing for several months, even though, barring expected fluctuations up and down, their actual position in the conference hasn't changed much. Yes, they've been playing much better hockey since December, but they have never honestly been in the playoff picture.
Fair enough. :thumbs up:
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Sigwolf wrote:

Overcoming being 4-6 points out with 20-24 games remaining? The Pens accomplished that very feat themselves in '09. But, then again, you can argue that the Pens weren't in the playoff picture at that time, either.

Anyway, this Flyers team isn't nearly as good as that Pens team was, imo. So between that and the dynamics of how tight the East has been in general, it was unlikely that we'd see more than a brief flirtation with sneaking into the 2nd WC. I think we saw it, and I think it's over.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

There is a big difference between overcoming 4-6 points on one team, and overcoming 4-6 points on three teams, especially when two of those three teams have multiple games in hand in which they can widen that gap. The first is highly doable, the second is so unlikely as to not really be considered an option. Sure, the perfect storm *could* occur until a team is mathematically eliminated, but the likelihood makes it more of a novelty than a serious consideration.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

It really is strange that that is rarely considered..."we're only down six points...just gotta win three in a row..." - right, if every other team goes into hibernation or folds, sure...

It was so weird, they were 9 points back and Flyers fans that I'm around were rooting for McDavid...then they use three games to get back to within 6 or 7 points and it became "ok, here we come, we're making a run!" - I was flummoxed...you can't keep your distance from a fuddy duddy like Ottawa, I mean, what are we even talking about here...but I was shot down as a "hater"...

After getting pumped by New Jersey last evening, I think maybe they'll be back on the tank campaign...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Caught this live for a chortle...not Giroux eating it on the one-time chance, but the fan's reaction in the near corner...

Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Sigwolf wrote:There is a big difference between overcoming 4-6 points on one team, and overcoming 4-6 points on three teams, especially when two of those three teams have multiple games in hand in which they can widen that gap. The first is highly doable, the second is so unlikely as to not really be considered an option. Sure, the perfect storm *could* occur until a team is mathematically eliminated, but the likelihood makes it more of a novelty than a serious consideration.
I agree with this, and noted it as "tight dynamics in the East"--too ambiguous on my part. My bad.

I think what helped to fuel the dream was Boston playing like dreck and FLA seemingly being unable to make a move. I didn't see any real excitement from Flyers fans until they got to within 4 (the last week of Feb.), but FLA and BOS each still had a game in hand.