Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by Daniel »

lemieuxReturns wrote:Today sucks knowing the Steelers are done until next season but they had no business in the playoffs this season anyways.
Couple observations:
- RB position is an overpaid position. Watching Conner step into the Bell's spot and play just as well and even outperform in some cases and then seeing him go down and Samuels stepping in and doing the same has me thinking the Steelers need to take a guy and just sign him to a small dollar contract and take the savings and move it to a position that does actually demand high money. Maybe RB by committee.
- Tomlin needs to be let go. I am not one of the guys who has been saying it for 10 years, but the staleness needs to change. The only real argument on the "Keep Tomlin" side is that the Steelers have not had a losing record. But that really shouldn't be the "standard" as Tomlin likes to say.
- The Steelers need to focus on drafting a LB.
- The running game should be a focus again for the Steelers. Longer drives help the defense too you know.
- The Steelers need to employ a replay coach to help the head coach with what to challenge and what not to challenge.
- Bye bye Butler. and any other coaches the new coach doesn't want.
For RB, I think the Steelers just need a 3rd back and allow Conner and Samuels to get the bulk of carries for the next 4-5 years. I think that position is going to be solid for a long time.

I'm with you on Tomlin. I think he's the Bylsma of the NFL. If "the standard is the standard" applied to him, he'd have resigned by now. The Patriots game shows the man can coach and prepare the team, which makes the other 15 games all that more frustrating. If they were that prepared vs. Oakland, they route them like Carolina. He allows the inmates to run the asylum and that has to change. I get being a players coach, but he takes it to the level of friendship.

I agree about the running game needing to be the focus, but the short quick passing game with screens can work just as well. I just think they need to be closer than what seems to be 80/20 pass/run ratio (probably less, but ought to be about 60/40 through the season).

I don't think the replay coach is the problem, I think Tomlin going by his gut over facts is the problem (IE, fake punt where they try to run on one of the top run stopping teams in the NFL)

I don't know if Butler is the problem or if Tomlin is interjecting too much into the defense. It's like they have a cover 3/zone blitz mixed defense and no one knows what the hell is going on from one play to the next. If the QB audibles, the defense is awful at communicating. Probably because the defense is so complex with contradictory schemes that no one knows anything. Not saying Butler isn't the problem, but let the new HC make that call. Randy Fichtner I'd keep.

Just to add, I think talent wise, the Steelers are a legit Super Bowl contender. I think what holds them back is lousy coaching. Look at their losses/tie, this team should have won all those games (though the Chiefs game might have been a loss) but they weren't prepared in one way or another.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

The final nail in the referee coffin this year. Ravens Jackson fumbles at the goal line. According to Browns fan board, Peppers picks up the ball and starts running with no one near him. Good chance it would be a touchdown. But official rules Jackson broke the goal plain and blows the play dead. The touchdown is overruled on replay and Browns get the ball deep in their own zone. Probably seven points Browns could have used.

Marvin Lewis is available. He was an awesome defensive coordinator for the Ravens last century.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Final nail in the Tomlin coffin. Antonio Brown was not hurt. He was throwing another temper tantrum this week and decided to skip multiple practices.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Tomlin is safe. If he is out, the optics on the NFL firing 6 out of 7 Afro-American coaches would probably trigger congressional hearings.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Tomlin is safe. If he is out, the optics on the NFL firing 6 out of 7 Afro-American coaches would probably trigger congressional hearings.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

We let Prima Donna #1 go. That would be Leave'MeAlone Bell, only to be replaced by Prima Donna #2 in AB. We are officially circling the drain.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Before they changed the rule, recall how many 15 yard penalties AB received for excessive celebrations after one of his many touchdowns. Coach Tomlin's reaction? Shrug.

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

What a cluster**** the Steelers have become.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Southern Fan wrote:Tomlin is safe. If he is out, the optics on the NFL firing 6 out of 7 Afro-American coaches would probably trigger congressional hearings.
Apparently our running game and rbs coach was our issue. Who knew?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Humperdink wrote:Romo is my favorite analyst. He knows what he's talking about. (Dec 16, 2018)
"Media critics and everyday fans alike acknowledged ... Romo’s commentary on the CBS broadcast of the Patriots-Chiefs battle for the AFC championship seemed nearly flawless......

Perhaps Romo’s best call of the night was when he predicted what the Patriots might do on fourth-and-1 late in the fourth quarter, with the Chiefs ahead 21-17......When Romo saw that Brady was calling an audible, he predicted that the Patriots’ QB would call for a stretch run off the right side. And that’s precisely what happened...

Romo could see the plays before they were happening, including predicting a pass to Julian Edelman on a key overtime play.....

And predicting a pass to Rob Gronkowski....."

https://nypost.com/2019/01/21/future-te ... ts-chiefs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Humperdink wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Romo is my favorite analyst. He knows what he's talking about. (Dec 16, 2018)
"Media critics and everyday fans alike acknowledged ... Romo’s commentary on the CBS broadcast of the Patriots-Chiefs battle for the AFC championship seemed nearly flawless......

Perhaps Romo’s best call of the night was when he predicted what the Patriots might do on fourth-and-1 late in the fourth quarter, with the Chiefs ahead 21-17......When Romo saw that Brady was calling an audible, he predicted that the Patriots’ QB would call for a stretch run off the right side. And that’s precisely what happened...

Romo could see the plays before they were happening, including predicting a pass to Julian Edelman on a key overtime play.....

https://nypost.com/2019/01/21/future-te ... ts-chiefs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It could be insight, or he could have had the game script. ;) :fist:
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Daniel wrote:
Humperdink wrote:

It could be insight, or he could have had the game script. ;) :fist:
The pass to Gronk was the best prediction. Single coverage, wide, against a small defender. Critical time in the game. At that point in the game, scripts are kinda tossed out (IMO).
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

So Colbert has managed to turn arguably the best wr and the best rb into a 3rd and 5th?
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Who cares ? Look at the Pats. Would you take their running back and wide receiver that did the best in the playoffs? Brown in Vegas should be fun.

Colbert had a good draft in 2017. Maybe he can replicate in 2019. Ben has three more years to win. This was one last chance to win with him
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Next years headline in the Bay Area, “Brown with 14 catches for 200 yards in Raiders loss to (insert team)”.

Definitely a number one pick in the fantasy draft.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

ville5 wrote:So Colbert has managed to turn arguably the best wr and the best rb into a 3rd and 5th?
No, AB caused this. Colbert got the best he could possibly get for an aging prima donna that no one wanted but the Raiders. If that's the best he could get, that tells me there was no bidding war and all but one team avoided him like the plague. With the Steelers, I think AB was a legit threat to Jerry Rice's records. With the Raiders, I think he'll be out of the league in 4 years or barely hanging onto a roster spot.

Do you honestly think the Steelers want to go into a 3rd straight offseason with a knucklehead causing distractions?
Last edited by Daniel on Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Southern Fan wrote:Next years headline in the Bay Area, “Brown with 14 catches for 200 yards in Raiders loss to (insert team)”.

Definitely a number one pick in the fantasy draft.
I don't see that. I think teams will triple cover him, unless someone else emerges as any kind of threat or the Raiders draft a competent WR and get consistent play from Derek Carr.

Frankly, when your top WR is Jordy Nelson, I think it's hard to expect AB will even get 75 catches next season.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

A J Brown from Ole Miss is one of the best receivers in the draft. Steelers should draft him and give him #84.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Southern Fan wrote:A J Brown from Ole Miss is one of the best receivers in the draft. Steelers should draft him and give him #84.
As long as they don't take Marquis "Hollywood" Brown or.....cousin of AB.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 030403002/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Southern Fan wrote:A J Brown from Ole Miss is one of the best receivers in the draft. Steelers should draft him and give him #84.
That would be great.... and fans start calling him AB. The line become blurred on which AB did what for the steelers and eventually we honor the second AB into the hall while the previous AB become irrelevant in Steelers history.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I must be losing it, but, I may actually be in the corner of Le'Veon Bell on his Steelers holdout.

--On the surface, look at the Bell situation and the Brown situation. Which one was worse? The Brown situation and it isn't even close. Brown acted like a complete pyscho ass the whole time lowering his value. Bell simply stuck to his guns and what he believed in, in terms of a contract. Fans may not have liked his stance, but, it wasn't necessarily out of line, trying to protect his health and financial future

--According to Bell, the money per year was never the issue with the Steelers. The amount of guaranteed money given to him was the problem. As he put it, the Steelers weren't coming anywhere close to the guaranteed money he was seeking. His concern was guaranteed money and staying healthy. Said especially after seeing what happened to Shazier, players need to lookout for themselves, because the owners sure are looking out for their best interest.

--Bell also admitted that he didn't learn until late in the season, like, days before he was going to report....that he didn't need to report at all to become a free agent.

NFL contracts are guaranteed, and, maybe that is the next thing that needs to happen in CBA negotiations. Teams can easily sign players to huge money, long term deals, and then cut them after a few seasons, eat the guaranteed money/bonus money in one year, and move on. MLB, NBA, and NHL all have guaranteed contracts. Maybe it is time for the NFL to step up and get rid of some of this ridiculousness and do the same.

Here's where I got some of the Bell information: http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-ste ... -nfl-exile
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:I must be losing it, but, I may actually be in the corner of Le'Veon Bell on his Steelers holdout.

--On the surface, look at the Bell situation and the Brown situation. Which one was worse? The Brown situation and it isn't even close. Brown acted like a complete pyscho ass the whole time lowering his value. Bell simply stuck to his guns and what he believed in, in terms of a contract. Fans may not have liked his stance, but, it wasn't necessarily out of line, trying to protect his health and financial future

--According to Bell, the money per year was never the issue with the Steelers. The amount of guaranteed money given to him was the problem. As he put it, the Steelers weren't coming anywhere close to the guaranteed money he was seeking. His concern was guaranteed money and staying healthy. Said especially after seeing what happened to Shazier, players need to lookout for themselves, because the owners sure are looking out for their best interest.

--Bell also admitted that he didn't learn until late in the season, like, days before he was going to report....that he didn't need to report at all to become a free agent.

NFL contracts are guaranteed, and, maybe that is the next thing that needs to happen in CBA negotiations. Teams can easily sign players to huge money, long term deals, and then cut them after a few seasons, eat the guaranteed money/bonus money in one year, and move on. MLB, NBA, and NHL all have guaranteed contracts. Maybe it is time for the NFL to step up and get rid of some of this ridiculousness and do the same.

Here's where I got some of the Bell information: http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-ste ... -nfl-exile
My issues with Bell are twofold. First, his teammates thought he was showing up for the 1st game and he flaked. To me, that's worse than anything else. He didn't have a contract and was under no obligation to sign the tender, or agree to anything. Just don't make your teammates think you're coming.

I have an issue with the "keep healthy" stance, he didn't stay out a year to keep healthy, he stayed out for more money. Just say that's all you care about, or shut the hell up. Football is a violent sport and he can end his career on any play. That part is already understood by people.

While I will always agree that it's an athletes right to negotiate what they want and get what they can, sometimes they act like it's only about the money and not about playing football. Keep your mouth shut and negotiate and KEEP OFF TWITTER ABOUT IT!!!! I think Bell came out looking like a jerk, which is still a far cry from AB looking like a psycho.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Well after all the drama with Bell and Brown,even with Big Ben, I kind a like where this team is headed now..
I wanted Tomlin to be gone after bad season, but ok -- lets give him one more run with healthier locker room and probably better chemistry.

I think we overpaid Ben with new extension, but overall I think Steelers did a good job. Solid free agency signings with Moncreif, Barron, Nelson,now adding #10 draft pick LB Devin Bush,I feel better heading into new season.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Filled the gaping holes with some solid depth and now got a franchise ILB to hopefully replace what’s shazier brought.

Right now I’d say take the best players available when we draft later in the third round. We have need of good and cheap depth everywhere.

And we also have an extra 3rd next year for Bell leaving so really if you look at it we got rid of some headaches to move up up 10 spots in the first and down 14 spots in the 2nd. That’s good business.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Cu11en »

Toledo, Akron, Northern Illinois, Michigan State, Michigan (x2)....did the Steelers scouting bus break down in that region of the country?