TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: TV Shows

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Amazon Pilots:

- Down Dog was pretty funny. Not great, but I chuckled and would watch as background noise.

- Turned off Cocked about five minutes it when it became obvious the writers don't know the difference between automatic and semi-automatic.

- About halfway through Mad Dogs. Cast is great but at this point it hasn't grabbed my attention or interest. I'll finish it, but it seems like a pretty standard story.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Don't think anyone yet mentioned a series called The 100. I don't want to give a spoiler, but... OK, the earth was dying from pollution and wars, etc... the remaining human colonies went into space and joined in one giant spaceship orbiting around the planet. I forget how long passed... a hundred years or a few hundred. Anyway, they have a very strict crime/penalty system. For virtually anything, they float you out into space as death penalty. They have 100 young people (teens, early 20's) in prison, but give them a chance to live by sending them down to earth to see if it's habitable again. That's when the show really begins. It's very well acted for the most part, minus a few of the lesser characters. Story has me addicted. It's pretty bloody at times, too, and they're not shy about killing people... including some of the characters. Already on season 2 now. Watched season 1 on Netflix in half a week and downloaded the current episodes from season 2 on a website (in HD of course). Four hot babes - my favorite is a feisty chick named Raven. I really recommend this show and especially for the interesting story. I think it's the best new series I've watched in a few years.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Dickie Dunn wrote:Amazon Pilots:

- Down Dog was pretty funny. Not great, but I chuckled and would watch as background noise.

- Turned off Cocked about five minutes it when it became obvious the writers don't know the difference between automatic and semi-automatic.

- About halfway through Mad Dogs. Cast is great but at this point it hasn't grabbed my attention or interest. I'll finish it, but it seems like a pretty standard story.
Just wait on Mad Dogs. It'll grab your attention. Can't promise it will grab your interest.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Is Transparent on Amazon any good?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Backstrom (FOX/Hulu):
Got around to watching this over the weekend. It has promise, but I think they need to stop pretending he's House reincarnated.

Blacklist (Netflix for now):
I finally got around to watching the Pilot & 2nd ep over the weekend. Thought the pilot was really good. Now can I finish season 1 and watch the season two eps we bought on Amazon so I can watch 2:4 on Hulu before they air the next one this weekend? I'll have to pick up the pace to have any chance...

Warehouse13 (Netflix):
It seems strange, having seen the two-hour Pilot of Warehouse 13 before I saw Librarians (or the 2004 Librarian film), then watching eps 2-4 after having seen the Librarians. Very similar in concept but quite diverse in the plot. I enjoy the lead pair on Warehouse13 - not sure where the actress is from - and had initially watched it because of Eddie McClintock (and his brief 4 episode arc on Bones' 2nd season).

Brooklyn 99 (FOX):
Thought last night's episode was a good one. Though the Wunch conflict is getting old and isn't really funny, even if it created a funny/strange moment last night.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

relantel wrote:Warehouse13 (Netflix):
It seems strange, having seen the two-hour Pilot of Warehouse 13 before I saw Librarians (or the 2004 Librarian film), then watching eps 2-4 after having seen the Librarians. Very similar in concept but quite diverse in the plot. I enjoy the lead pair on Warehouse13 - not sure where the actress is from - and had initially watched it because of Eddie McClintock (and his brief 4 episode arc on Bones' 2nd season).
I'm a huge, giant, humongous, and enormous fan of that. Watched every episode. Well, I have the final and closing 6 episodes downloaded, but can't seem to bring myself to watch because I don't want the series to end. It's one of the funniest and most enjoyable shows, imo. Great characters and great stories that never seem to get boring. Yes, very similar to the Librarians, which I like, but WH13 is a whole lot better. Again, the main characters are so likable and silly that I just love them. I think it's one of those shows that could have gone on forever because there is no end to the material they could have created with the main story. But it's been a long run and a good one. I'll miss it the same way I miss Chuck.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Finished up S2 of the Sopranos over the weekend. Looking less forward to the rest of the series, but damn those first two seasons are amazing... every bit as good as I remembered them.

At least unlike when it originally aired, I can skip the Carmella episodes... or at least the more painful scenes.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Man, Parenthood always gets me right in the feels.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Man, Parenthood always gets me right in the feels.
My wife weeps at nearly every episode. I've never watched it, but I always know when she does. :pop: I also can tell just by listening to it from another room (she will watch it well after it aired on live TV): the characters all seem to talk at the same time, much like a real family. I think I will check it out when it's all on Netflix sometime.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Looking forward to Better Call Saul starting in a week or so...
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Gotham has been kind of mediocre in its midseason return. The end to last weeks episode was awesome. Morena Baccarin is hot, so she's a welcome addition to the cast. Logue, McKenzie, Robin Lord Taylor, and John Doman all continue to do good work. It just feels like there is no end game and the story is stuck in quick sand. Too many characters. Too much "villain of the week" storytelling. I still watch it, but I think the show could use some changes.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

skullman80 wrote:Looking forward to Better Call Saul starting in a week or so...
I'm actually more interested in that than the return of TWD tbh. :pop:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Man, Parenthood always gets me right in the feels.
My wife weeps at nearly every episode. I've never watched it, but I always know when she does. :pop: I also can tell just by listening to it from another room (she will watch it well after it aired on live TV): the characters all seem to talk at the same time, much like a real family. I think I will check it out when it's all on Netflix sometime.
The first few seasons are on netflix now. Check it out to see if you'll like it. There are good eps and bad. Some characters are super annoying but thankfully they are usually toned down by other characters. Lots of emotional stuff. Last night we watched the second to last episode and it was probably the most emotional one yet. I'll probably full on weep during the finale. :cry:
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Dickie Dunn wrote:Gotham has been kind of mediocre in its midseason return. The end to last weeks episode was awesome. Morena Baccarin is hot, so she's a welcome addition to the cast. Logue, McKenzie, Robin Lord Taylor, and John Doman all continue to do good work. It just feels like there is no end game and the story is stuck in quick sand. Too many characters. Too much "villain of the week" storytelling. I still watch it, but I think the show could use some changes.
I think it has gotten better to be honest. They do have the villain of the week, but they also have the who mobster story line going on as well. I think that is getting pretty good.

Definitely has some work, but typically that stuff gets worked out during the first season, and I think it has also gotten much better from the beginning.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Anyone watch Sons of Liberty?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

newarenanow wrote:Anyone watch Sons of Liberty?
Dean Norris as Ben Franklin has piqued my interest. :lol:
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

newarenanow wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:Gotham has been kind of mediocre in its midseason return. The end to last weeks episode was awesome. Morena Baccarin is hot, so she's a welcome addition to the cast. Logue, McKenzie, Robin Lord Taylor, and John Doman all continue to do good work. It just feels like there is no end game and the story is stuck in quick sand. Too many characters. Too much "villain of the week" storytelling. I still watch it, but I think the show could use some changes.
I think it has gotten better to be honest. They do have the villain of the week, but they also have the who mobster story line going on as well. I think that is getting pretty good.

Definitely has some work, but typically that stuff gets worked out during the first season, and I think it has also gotten much better from the beginning.
It's definitely much better than the beginning and the storylines are there. I just feel like progress has been a slow burn.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

It's definitely much better than the beginning and the storylines are there. I just feel like progress has been a slow burn.
Did a double-take when I saw Baccarin in the credits. Been a long time since Firefly but she sure helps the show.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

newarenanow wrote:Anyone watch Sons of Liberty?
DVR'ing it for viewing later in the spring.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Just watched the first episode of Man Seeking Woman last night. My god how frustrating.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

GSdrums87 wrote:Just watched the first episode of Man Seeking Woman last night. My god how frustrating.
My wife and I watched it the other night. I thought it sucked.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I checked out the plot for The Slap. No thanks. I don't think I want to watch a show that may infuriate me into a heart attack.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

newarenanow wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:Just watched the first episode of Man Seeking Woman last night. My god how frustrating.
My wife and I watched it the other night. I thought it sucked.
It's very good. The war room scene when he was trying to write a text in episode 2 was the funniest thing I've seen on a tv show in a long time.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

PensFanInDC wrote:I checked out the plot for The Slap. No thanks. I don't think I want to watch a show that may infuriate me into a heart attack.
Do you only enjoy things that are in your comfort zone?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Why would you watch something not in your comfort zone?