US Olympic Team

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: US Olympic Team

Post by Pens4Life »

Bobby Ryan not on USA roster is a MISTAKE!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Random thought....but I have always found Poille to be overrated. Starting with his caps days and not being able to get over the top. Same thing for Nashville....he was always too conservative for my liking. Although Shero learned from him, he is far more aggressive....
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

http://lockerdome.com/happygilmore/6170 ... 2385658130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy Gilmore ‏@_Happy_Gilmore 1h

MUST SEE: USA Hockey accidentally texted a 67-year-old Canadian man to tell him he made the Olympic team. -> http://twtterpics.com/1lB3O2y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Retweeted by The Hockey Gods

:lol: :lol:
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

Where can you buy Olympic jerseys? I can't find ones with names on them online anywhere.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Another behind-the scenes article, this one by Kevin Allen:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nh ... d/4279829/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens4Life wrote:Bobby Ryan not on USA roster is a MISTAKE!
I agree. The lineup they are icing, although tough and gritty could still use another pure goal scorer.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Id wager this is the last time reporters are given this level of access
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

It might be earlier in the thread, I didn't check, but is it true someone posted a post on the X Morning show facebook page after the announcements saying he was furious Sid was left off the USA team?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

TheGhostofGoulet wrote:The real crime is Crosby's snub;

Not sure if anyone posted it the other way around, though. ;)
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Lt. Dish wrote:Another behind-the scenes article, this one by Kevin Allen:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nh ... d/4279829/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's an incredible level of access. The only things that rubbed me the wrong way were making decisions based on dreams/nightmares
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Pitts wrote:
offsides wrote:
columbia wrote:Brooks!.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get this. Not sure he can keep up with the speed and larger ice. Oh well, I'm sure Brooks will give it all he's got.
Sometimes, actually, often-times, I wonder if people actually watch Orpik play the game. Or, do they just jump on the Orpik hate train because it's the thing to do. Apparently, very few individuals ever listen to the real hockey experts out in the field.
Which "experts" are these, you? Just because I have an opinion that doesn't agree with yours, doesn't mean I'm clueless.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

offsides wrote:
Pitts wrote:
offsides wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get this. Not sure he can keep up with the speed and larger ice. Oh well, I'm sure Brooks will give it all he's got.
Sometimes, actually, often-times, I wonder if people actually watch Orpik play the game. Or, do they just jump on the Orpik hate train because it's the thing to do. Apparently, very few individuals ever listen to the real hockey experts out in the field.
Which "experts" are these, you? Just because I have an opinion that doesn't agree with yours, doesn't mean I'm clueless.
I watch Orpik a lot. I play closer attention to players that I like and players that I do not like. I watch him put himself out of position and have no idea where the puck is. I watch talented forwards on other teams skate around him like he wasn't even there. I watch him fail to keep puck in the offensive zone every game.

The ONLY good thing that I can say about Orpik is that he seems to have finally realized that checking opposing forwards INTO and ON TOP OF Fleury is NOT actually a good idea... he seems to have cut back on doing that this year compared to the rest of his career to date.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Pitts wrote:Apparently, very few individuals ever listen to the real hockey experts out in the field.
(Not about Orpik, but overall) I think that too many people listen to hockey chatter and take what is said ans use it for their own opinion without actually considering it. They just restate what they hear others say. That is why people get so mad when you have an opposing opinion. The discussion goes past the first comment and they can not support their "opinion" because they did not actually form it themselves. They then get very defensive and that is when things get nasty. That is why you can tell when people that have actually thought about their statements disagree. It looks like an actual discussion as opposed to a food fight.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Fair point, Jim and one I generally agree with. But only because I have the time, devotion and understanding (I like to think, at least) to give to and take from the game. It's not like football. Where it's more widely understood at a base level. After every three-second play, there's a stoppage and then it's reviewed and discussed three times. And then on ESPN, entire days are spent discussing a few games...highlights aren't even really shown anymore...look at SC on a Monday, you hardly see any video...it's just a bunch of people talking about it. Which has pros and cons depending on what you like...

With hockey, not a ton of commentators are really experts. Eddie Olczyk, the nation's "top" color guy nationally, is not smart. I've seen him try to diagram things, I've seen him try to explain things...it's not always that pretty. He's not a dunce, but he's no expert. It sounds like he'd be a decent peewee coach because he says things you can remember "stick on stick, stick on puck...for all you young hockey players out there" I mean, he says it right out in front, that's who his message is for...has anyone ever heard him breakdown a player's strengths and weaknesses in any sort of detail like Pierre McGuire or Ray Ferraro...? Doesn't happen much...I mean, maybe he's hiding some knowledge, but Pierre sets him up with a lot of softballs to elaborate with and Olczyk foul tips almost every one of them back to the screen...

Ferraro (TSN), McGuire (NBCSN), Brickley (NESN), Remenda (CSN-Bay Area), these guys get it...but there's not a ton...and the NHL seems to have a hard time with any sort of negativity about anything...on NHLN, they show the Emery assault on Holtby and just sit there crapping themselves instead of taking a real stand...so when a player has a bad game, they call it "average" that's about as bad as it gets...there isn't much objective commentary from most national figures...and when there is, it's only a 50/50 shot if they're making any sense (Milbury on NBCSN or Healy on CBC or Cherry on CBC)...

It's tough...you either know or you don't...and you can't know everything, believe me, I've tried...hell, present tense even, I try...on an average day, I probably spend 5-6 hours watching hockey. More on good days. And still, I feel like I'm missing so much of the picture...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Agreed witht he above comments on Poile. Too conservative.

Thought it was funny that Poile says he has a dream about Jack Johnson being left off, and Burke comes back saying he has a nightmare about Seth Jones being added to the team... to corroraborate his opinion. I'm sure he made that up on the spot.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I do not want to start a Mike Lange argument, at all... but when you listen to him it seems like no Penguin ever does anything wrong. If all I did was listen to his broadcasts I would wonder why/how anyone could not like any of the Pens.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

offsides wrote:
Pitts wrote:
offsides wrote:
Did I say me?? No. But I follow many players, coaches, GM's, reporters and opinion-spouters daily. I've rarely heard a bad word said about Orpik and how he plays the game. I'm not mad that you are upset Orpik made the Olympic team. I just don't understand the hate he receives from so many Penguin fans.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Jim wrote:I do not want to start a Mike Lange argument, at all... but when you listen to him it seems like no Penguin ever does anything wrong. If all I did was listen to his broadcasts I would wonder why/how anyone could not like any of the Pens.
I'm fine with regional guys being homers. When you are paid by a team and you see the players of the team every day, you are bound to talk about them in the best ways possible. National broadcasts should be void of any favoritism and they frequently are not.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

meow wrote:
Jim wrote:I do not want to start a Mike Lange argument, at all... but when you listen to him it seems like no Penguin ever does anything wrong. If all I did was listen to his broadcasts I would wonder why/how anyone could not like any of the Pens.
I'm fine with regional guys being homers. When you are paid by a team and you see the players of the team every day, you are bound to talk about them in the best ways possible. National broadcasts should be void of any favoritism and they frequently are not.
I do understand that. I would just prefer getting a clearer picture from out #1 guy...
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

mistake or not... what team USA did in allowing their personal feelings about Bobby Ryan to become public was pathetic, unprofessional, disrespectful, and goes against nearly everything the Olympics was meant to be about. They should absolutely be ashamed of themselves and here is to hoping that none of them are responsible for the Olympic team in 2018.

also, mr. burnside holds some responsibility here too... but regardless, the fact that these gentlemen knew they were being recorded and reported on should have given them reason for some personal restraint.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

Pierre is an expert?
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

weird.... I actually get frustrated with Lange for the opposite reason. He almost gets more excited when the other team scores (in my opinion).
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

lemieuxReturns wrote:
weird.... I actually get frustrated with Lange for the opposite reason. He almost gets more excited when the other team scores (in my opinion).
I think that Mike is a hockey fan, he just likes good plays. But he does pump everyone up. He also tries to get his colormen to stop saying negative things when they did it in the past. It is just a bit to rainbows and sunshine.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote:
mistake or not... what team USA did in allowing their personal feelings about Bobby Ryan to become public was pathetic, unprofessional, disrespectful, and goes against nearly everything the Olympics was meant to be about. They should absolutely be ashamed of themselves and here is to hoping that none of them are responsible for the Olympic team in 2018.

also, mr. burnside holds some responsibility here too... but regardless, the fact that these gentlemen knew they were being recorded and reported on should have given them reason for some personal restraint.
Burke can't keep his mouth shut. As someone else posted, I bet this will be the last time media has this much access to this process. They probably don't need to have this much access as situations like Ryan and Jack Johnson now have to ask questions about something they weren't invovled with...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

pittsports87 wrote:Pierre is an expert?
I'd call Pierre an expect. He might be a creepy weirdo 99% of the time, but the dude knows his stuff.