The New (and Improved) Mod Sign-up Thread

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The New (and Improved) Mod Sign-up Thread

Post by the wicked child »

My advice... look @ what I did in the last game... and don't do that. (at least not at first... or ever if you value sanity)

It's definitely good to co-mod with someone first to get the hang of how things work.

In Corvi's rules thread, there is a link in the OP to a site with a lot of different roles on it. Also, I posted a link to a modding guide later on... probably near/at the end. Some of it is specific to that site, and some of it is a bit much, but there is some solid advice in there which I took away from it; in particular in regards to balancing power roles.

In the old days we could usually get up to 30 players (Jellyfish Invasion 1 had a whopping 35), but nowadays, it's hard to get 25. So Make sure when you plan that you have some flex built in for that case where you can't get more than 20.

Also, looking at some of the post game threads and seeing things people liked or really didn't like can be helpful.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

the wicked child wrote:My advice... look @ what I did in the last game... and don't do that. (at least not at first... or ever if you value sanity)

It's definitely good to co-mod with someone first to get the hang of how things work.

In Corvi's rules thread, there is a link in the OP to a site with a lot of different roles on it. Also, I posted a link to a modding guide later on... probably near/at the end. Some of it is specific to that site, and some of it is a bit much, but there is some solid advice in there which I took away from it; in particular in regards to balancing power roles.

In the old days we could usually get up to 30 players (Jellyfish Invasion 1 had a whopping 35), but nowadays, it's hard to get 25. So Make sure when you plan that you have some flex built in for that case where you can't get more than 20.

Also, looking at some of the post game threads and seeing things people liked or really didn't like can be helpful.
Shall we get to work on planning JI: III
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

bhaw wrote:Shall we get to work on planning JI: III
Muhahahahahaha. indeed.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'm thinking about doing imaginationland warz II. any objections?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

count2infinity wrote:I'm thinking about doing imaginationland warz II. any objections?
Not if you modkill people if they don't participate so it doesn't end up as me an 5 non-participators against 5 reds this time. :pop:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

the wicked child wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I'm thinking about doing imaginationland warz II. any objections?
Not if you modkill people if they don't participate so it doesn't end up as me an 5 non-participators against 5 reds this time. :pop:
done and done.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Is another game on tap?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Benny and I will be working on some sort of game that will probably be ready this summer at some point.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Anyone doing a simple short game while this is under construction?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Nothing currently planned. Anything with doc can be assumed out at this point and other games are all in the planning stages.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

obhave wrote:it would be based on the Irish Revolution. The "real" IRA, terrorist group, is not what I meant.
Michael Collins (the film) could set up as a nice starting point for you as far as character selection. I found that the hardest part of the prep work in 1776 was coming up with appropriate names out of the story it was based on. I ended up not completely limiting myself to the book but expanded to the general time. We've had other games based on films/tv/books that have come off really well (hello Animal Farm and Robin of Sherwood among others)

oh, and listen to twc's suggestions on reading up on the basic game and roles and such. I got pulled into this as a late addition to Jellyfish I and I've only skipped a couple games here and there in the year and a half since. Once was vacation, and the other two were during the final prep of 1776. Addiction perhaps. But it does lead to games where one ends up being quieter than planned... :slug:
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

columbia and I are definitely planning on doing Planet of the Apes Warz, but no schedule on that yet.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i'm going to get imaginationland warz put together, but it may take some time.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Kraftster wrote:Benny and I will be working on some sort of game that will probably be ready this summer at some point.
Benny and I are likely going to put together Clue Wars, so dibs on that concept.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

while offering topics.... late fall for what will likely be a 1776 sequel/reprise.

Though redwill's experimental PM games have me thinking about a reprise of Civil Warz using the non-reveal on death concept, as that game became way to obvious it was a numbers game. The PM angle might make it even more of a crap-shoot :slug:
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

EDIT: nvm, I won't have time to do any modding next week.
Last edited by redwill on Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I liked the idea of the civil war game, but it has to be done in such a way that it isn't just a simple numbers game...
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the errey i breathe »

I have a fairly quick idea for a warz game. Office warz (although not The Office). Should I just throw a sign up thread out there or is there a waiting list for games?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

the wicked child wrote:I liked the idea of the civil war game, but it has to be done in such a way that it isn't just a simple numbers game...
That was the flaw of that game. We realized it early but it seemed any fix in the middle of the game might be an unfair overreaction. Well one of the flaws. Both sides had PM capability, which took some of the unknown away, and a lot of game chatter. Kind of why 1776 first run had less PM communication, even among the redcoats. And there was a pool of unaffiliated colonists that were bigger than either "side" in the game. Let's just say that the 1776 reprise will come well before civil warz, unless someone else steps up to tackle the idea (If you have the energy to run with it, do!).
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

the errey i breathe wrote:I have a fairly quick idea for a warz game. Office warz (although not The Office). Should I just throw a sign up thread out there or is there a waiting list for games?
I get the impression that no one else will be ready for a while, so I'd say go ahead and put up the sign-up thread, Mr. Supervisor. Mmmm-kay?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

There is total chaos at the moment. If someone wants to do a quick game, go right ahead.

If anyone wants to schedule a larger game, go for it... but it sounds like they're all in the early planning stages.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

“Chaos often breeds life, when order breeds habit.”

- Henry Adams

Thanks, Google
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

So I am going to go ahead and do Irish Revolution Warz. Is there anyone that would want to co-mod it with me? I hope to have all the plans by the end of this week, possibly sometime next week, but I need someone to make sure that the game will work! My goal would be to have this start in a few weeks time. I need it to be done before I head off to Europe with no internet or before I go back to college. If I don't get it done in time it might not happen for a while...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I'd help except that I think I'm going to be too busy over the next few weeks to play or mod any games.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

How about EPP for co-mod? :pop: