TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: TV Shows

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

You know what? I've never owned a DVR. /csb
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Finished season two of Arrow. Holy crap. The show isn't perfect, but that season is up with my favorite seasons of television ever. Just fantastic.

Now onto season three and The Flash. For those of you that watch both, what's the best way to watch these shows? Episode of The Flash, followed by an episode of Arrow? Or does it not really matter until I get to the crossover episode?
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Dickie Dunn wrote:Finished season two of Arrow. Holy crap. The show isn't perfect, but that season is up with my favorite seasons of television ever. Just fantastic.

Now onto season three and The Flash. For those of you that watch both, what's the best way to watch these shows? Episode of The Flash, followed by an episode of Arrow? Or does it not really matter until I get to the crossover episode?
Doesn't matter.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

The League has been pretty good this season. Finale up next on dvr.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

On 27 Jan 2014, at 22:31 PensFanInDC wrote:Great HIMYM episode imo. Can't wait to hear the complaints
HIMYM Season 9 is god awful and that show was pretty bad begin with. I've been letting it run in the background the last few evenings so I can complete it and never deal with it again but the nursery rhyme episode just beat me into submission. I hate these characters. Five whiny pain in the ass unfunny people. I'm finding myself rooting for their failure because they barely deserve their next breath of air let alone eternal bliss.

:face:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I'm repeating myself on here but any time someone brings up HIMYM I just have to get more opinions on how on God's green Earth that show was as popular as it was. I've even tried watching a few more reruns recently when I've been home in the afternoons, and I can't make it from one commercial break to the next. Its not even a "to each their own" thing with me, I can't believe anyone laughs at that show. The acting is atrocious, the laugh track is less realistic than the one used on the old Flintstones cartoons, and each and every character I find as unlikeable as any television characters I've ever seen.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Eismann wrote:The League has been pretty good this season. Finale up next on dvr.
I've been meh on this season. But I just saw the hot tub episode and it was great. The scene with Kevin, the pants and the flower shop had me laughing out loud.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

shmenguin wrote:
Eismann wrote:The League has been pretty good this season. Finale up next on dvr.
I've been meh on this season. But I just saw the hot tub episode and it was great. The scene with Kevin, the pants and the flower shop had me laughing out loud.
Yup, that was a good one.

Finale was pretty good.

I think I liked the writing a lot this season. And whereas I might not have lolled loads, I thought the lines were really strong and fitting the characters, making for entertaining tv.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

this season of the league has been the best since season 3.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

DudeMan2766 wrote:I'm repeating myself on here but any time someone brings up HIMYM I just have to get more opinions on how on God's green Earth that show was as popular as it was. I've even tried watching a few more reruns recently when I've been home in the afternoons, and I can't make it from one commercial break to the next. Its not even a "to each their own" thing with me, I can't believe anyone laughs at that show. The acting is atrocious, the laugh track is less realistic than the one used on the old Flintstones cartoons, and each and every character I find as unlikeable as any television characters I've ever seen.
Seasons 1-5 were great. I binged them in Afghanistan and kind of bonded with the show since it was my only escape mechanism. I recall that the show was tacky but it made me lol at least once every 22 minutes. It was kind of zany but fun so I figured I might as well finish it.

Then as 6-9 rolled by it was less funny and got really drawn out. I realized Ted isn't happy because he's a **** loser with too-high standards that ultimately doesn't deserve happiness which makes me hate him for supposedly ultimately finding it. Barney's schtick got old, Lily is 10 years past her useability and Marshall clearly wants out of there. So bad. I reread this thread from Oct-Nov 2013 and I feel vindicated in that everyone here seemed to hate this filler season. At least I'm watching it on Amazon Prime and don't have to wait a week to be let down each time.

I understand your problem. I feel exactly the same way about BBT as you do about HIMYM. It's an unfunny show with big fancy science words dropped in that don't actually mean anything.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Towards the end of season 9 things started to feel more like earlier seasons. That show lasted way too long, but I watched it to the end.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

obhave wrote:Towards the end of season 9 things started to feel more like earlier seasons. That show lasted way too long, but I watched it to the end.
Season 9 would have been livable if they had quit with 15 minutes to go in the penultimate episode.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

obhave wrote:Towards the end of season 9 things started to feel more like earlier seasons. That show lasted way too long, but I watched it to the end.
It took over half the season but it's actually half decent again now. All of a sudden at episode 14 (Slapsgiving 3) it turned back on again. Every episode since then has been really decent with the Mother backstory episode (16) really poking me right in the feels. I have a soft spot for soul-mate mortality mechanisms, though.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

For what it was I thought it was great. It was a laugh track sitcom.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Caught up on Person of Interest. In general, I still really like this show... but I just don't like the whole Samaritan thing... and I'm afraid it may be coming to the forefront. Everything else about the show is still really good though. Frustrating.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

My wife and I have been working our way through HIMYM, watching one or two episodes every night. We're almost finished with season six and at this point I've enjoyed the show. It's not perfect and there are definitely some down episodes, but overall the show is funny. My biggest issue with the show is Ted Mosby, who I find to be about as unlikable and annoying as any TV character I can remember. He gets bonus hate points because the show centers around him. The actor sucks too.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

The first 5/6 seasons of HIMYM are very good, but the dumbing down of the characters later in the series make the last few not so good.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I have three episodes left. Should've just polished them off last night.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

dodint wrote:I have three episodes left. Should've just polished them off last night.
don't read this until after you're finished...
Spoiler:
You'll wish you had stopped after the first of your three left.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Also, the alternative ending made me far happier than the one they showed. I'm refusing to believe the original was how it was meant to end.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

HoW
Spoiler:
I was hoping this finale would be like Season 2's with a mix of action and setting up the next season. Instead, we just got a setup episode. It was fine as a stand alone episode, lame as a finale. This show is batting .250 on finales so far.

I'm not saying that someone has to die, but let's have some action dammit.

Overall, it was an excellent season. Minus the 2 silly episodes in the middle and a lackluster finale, it might have been the best season yet. The stupid break during October really hurt though.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

The Flash is excellent. The CW really hit it out of the park with these two shows.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Eat ****, HIMYM.
Spoiler:
Wasted about 30 episodes on a stupid **** wedding and then get divorced in the next episode. **** off, it's not even a reveal since it was a toxic marriage nobody wanted anyway.
Barney never redeems himself as the shallow loser. Oh, wait, having a child changes everything!

I'm okay with the death. Her in the bed got me, but that's my own hangup. But Robin is the end game? Go. ****. Yourself. HIMYM.
Going back to reread the thread to see if I'm alone on this one or what.

Anyway, thanks for humoring me while I knocked out the rest of this show. It may have changed my stance on being a completest.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Idoit40fans wrote:Im pretty happy that the himym finale happened.
Best post I found on the whole thing.

Also, stumbled across that argument with shmenguin about Raymond Reddington's hat. Awesome. I remembered the discussion but forget it was shmenguin. *snicker*
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

obhave wrote:Also, the alternative ending made me far happier than the one they showed. I'm refusing to believe the original was how it was meant to end.
Can you summarize the Alt ending?