Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by columbia »

Staggy wrote:I'm not sure what you're trying to say. They didn't "drop the hammer on the individuals." They hired an ex FBI director to investigate the case so they could figure out what the hell happened.
What is Penn State planning to do with that information?
That's an honest question.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:
Staggy wrote:I'm not sure what you're trying to say. They didn't "drop the hammer on the individuals." They hired an ex FBI director to investigate the case so they could figure out what the hell happened.
I think the criminal courts are handling that ATM.

Actually, I am pretty sure the university is going to implement reforms, you can bet that.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

Staggy wrote:I'm not sure what you're trying to say. They didn't "drop the hammer on the individuals." They hired an ex FBI director to investigate the case so they could figure out what the hell happened. I don't know how this can be construed as anything negative.
You think the University didn't have a huge interest in having this investigation (that they paid for) go exactly as it did as fast as possible in an attempt to minimize punishment from the NCAA? You think paying for an investigation doesnt have any influence on what the results will be. These guys are all getting tried in a court of law. It will all be figured out then.

It was a "look at us, we cleaned up our act, so please be easy on us" ploy.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

The victims' kids should be given full rides to Penn State if they so choose to attend, or a scholarship from the school to pay for the education anywhere else.

Profit from athletics should be significantly downgraded to non-profit with the excess going towards charity.

Scholarship reduction. Enough said.

Pay for campaigns against child abuse/misconduct with a child.

Can never downplay the events or expect penalties.

Stuff like that. Probation for up to 10 years. Any significant violation will result in harsh penalties against the school.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm not sure what the NCAA is going to do. But I think for people like yourself that sorely want the death penalty to be applied and the Penn State football program to be cast into the fiery pits of Mt. Doom, there is disappointment looming.
Come on, just say it. Penn State doesn't deserve anything significantly different than USC.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I'm not sure what the NCAA is going to do. But I think for people like yourself that sorely want the death penalty to be applied and the Penn State football program to be cast into the fiery pits of Mt. Doom, there is disappointment looming.
Come on, just say it. Penn State doesn't deserve anything significantly different than USC.
I mean...I have a major hatred for the people that were involved in the coverup, including JoePa. It's hard for me to be angry at the institution of PSU, because I know how much wonderful work it has done over the last 150 years. From a completely detached standpoint, no, I don't expect anything in addition to that.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
Staggy wrote:I'm not sure what you're trying to say. They didn't "drop the hammer on the individuals." They hired an ex FBI director to investigate the case so they could figure out what the hell happened. I don't know how this can be construed as anything negative.
You think the University didn't have a huge interest in having this investigation (that they paid for) go exactly as it did as fast as possible in an attempt to minimize punishment from the NCAA? You think paying for an investigation doesnt have any influence on what the results will be. These guys are all getting tried in a court of law. It will all be figured out then.

It was a "look at us, we cleaned up our act, so please be easy on us" ploy.
So you think that the ex director of the FBI is corrupt?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

shafnutz05 wrote: Actually, I am pretty sure the university is going to implement reforms, you can bet that.
Can the people that are currently in charge be trusted to implement effective reforms?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Oh and every year must hold a fundraiser or something of the sort for charity as a sort of constant reminder of the crap they allowed happen.

Also I think it should 15 years probation (about as long as the cover-up seemed to have been for).
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

MWB wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote: Actually, I am pretty sure the university is going to implement reforms, you can bet that.
Can the people that are currently in charge be trusted to implement effective reforms?
That's the million dollar question.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shafnutz05 wrote:
MWB wrote:
That's the million dollar question.
They are likely to become "better" (ie your standard semi-corrupt D1 school, without the child rape).
The irony is that they will become the type of program that the PSU community held themselves above.

Go figure.

I'm getting close to washing my hands of big time college sports.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Theres an article on espn about a group of students protecting the statue. Just remove the thing already.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

viva la ben wrote:Theres an article on espn about a group of students protecting the statue. Just remove the thing already.
This is going to become a huge distraction. One group will want to tear it down and another will want it protected. I agree, it should just come down, if for no other reason than to be one less focal point for divisiveness on the campus.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I can just see those same idiots who rioted on campus (College Avenue?) doing the same.
Take it down before they get back to school.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

columbia wrote:
What they should have done in the first place; turn it over along with supporting evidence to the proper authorities.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

The proper authorities will deal with criminal issues. They won't deal with changing the culture at the school that allowed this to happen. Will getting rid of four people make that happen? It's a step, but I don't know if it's enough.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

MWB wrote:The proper authorities will deal with criminal issues. They won't deal with changing the culture at the school that allowed this to happen. Will getting rid of four people make that happen? It's a step, but I don't know if it's enough.
I get what you are saying, but I think the public outside of Happy Valley will do the job here. Penn State will FOREVER live in scrutiny, IMO, at least as long as I live.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

shafnutz05 wrote:
MWB wrote:The proper authorities will deal with criminal issues. They won't deal with changing the culture at the school that allowed this to happen. Will getting rid of four people make that happen? It's a step, but I don't know if it's enough.
I get what you are saying, but I think the public outside of Happy Valley will do the job here. Penn State will FOREVER live in scrutiny, IMO, at least as long as I live.
What can the public really do though? It's the people who are in charge that will have to make sure any reforms are maintained. Who knows what happens with litigation and other investigations, but when the final shoe drops it will be the people still at Penn State who have to make sure changes stick.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I don't get the complaints about the potential economic effects of a death penalty on SC businesses.
Those same people benefited greatly from the football program and now they don't want to deal with the consequences of the football program's actions?

That seems pretty lame.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

columbia wrote:I don't get the complaints about the potential economic effects of a death penalty on SC businesses.
Those same people benefited greatly from the football program and now they don't want to deal with the consequences of the football program's actions?

That seems pretty lame.
You say that like those people were involved in the coverup and were complicit just so that they could run their business and earn a living. Monsters.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Either way, they didn't build their businesses. Someone else made that happen.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

steve784 wrote: You say that like those people were involved in the coverup and were complicit just so that they could run their business and earn a living.
No, I did not.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

ulf wrote:Either way, they didn't build their businesses. Someone else made that happen.
So if Jerry Sandusky had been arrested in 1998 and this all came out then, those businesses in downtown State College would've not been as successful as they are now? Therefore they should suffer for something they have no part of? Please.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

There are plenty of reasons to inflict (or not) the death penalty on Penn State.
The health of the local economy should not be a consideration.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

columbia wrote:There are plenty of reasons to inflict (or not) the death penalty on Penn State.
The health of the local economy should not be a consideration.
People are always going to be at Penn State, football or no football.