Canaan's thread of NPR chaos.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Canaan's thread of NPR chaos.

Post by dodint »

mikey287 wrote:
littlemoonboot wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Loophole? See I don't get that...the rule states if there's a breakaway and you dislodge the net intentionally, it's a penalty shot.

In this case, there was a breakaway and the goalie dislodged the net and it was a penalty shot.

It seems like a rule is already in place and it was called accordingly...
Meh, just responding to people complaining and calling it "bush league" and that the penalty wasn't severe enough.
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean for that to me at you necessarily. I saw that consternation as well, and I didn't understand it. "It should be an automatic goal!" Why? What's automatic about that situation? "It should be two penalty shots!" Why? Why try to award something that isn't on the books? "Double minor for delay of game" Same question.

Just doesn't make sense...people just like to complain anymore...and immediately the mind goes to "not fair!!! litigate!" Anyway, enough out of me...
My initial thought went to "PS and Unsportsmanlike Conduct minor" as being the best call that could be made. It's not really within the spirit of the rules to gain an advantage by willfully committing a penalty. It's clever, but not good sportsmanship.

The silly side of me wanted to see a 2-0 PS. ;)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Here's a full version of the earlier Swedish League goalie doing this in the mid-90s, except he wasn't as lucky with taking his chance with the penalty shot.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

It should be an automatic goal like when someone throws their stick on a breakaway.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Jim wrote:It should be an automatic goal like when someone throws their stick on a breakaway.
I think that's only on an EMPTY NET breakaway so the reason for that is obvious.

while I understand his reasoning of "my odds are better against a penalty shot or PP" it's fairly obvious that if this starts becoming a "thing" at any professional level of hockey there will have to be a rule change. my proposal would be that if the goalie blatantly dislodges the net in this manner that he is ejected from the game. :pop:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

This is a guy that's good at hockey. Like, good at the highest possible level you can play at. He looks bigger than me and I consider myself out of shape.

meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Not picking on you DudeMan, but I am getting sick and tired of hearing people complain about seemingly out-of-shape athletes. Like you said, the dude can compete at the highest level, has the best release in the game, one of the most explosive skaters in the game. So what if he looks like a mailman? Big Buff gets the same crap, yet he plays 1/3rd of the game, can play offense and defense, and can shoot the puck through the end boards if he wanted to.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Varlamov has stopped 89 of 90 shots while his team is shorthanded this year!
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mikey287 wrote:Varlamov has stopped 89 of 90 shots while his team is shorthanded this year!
Can't stop a beachball at ES. Unbeatable on PK. Makes no sense
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Keep in mind, this is one of the few goalies in the league that I feel is better with his blocker than his glove...so it's all relative I guess...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mikey287 wrote:Keep in mind, this is one of the few goalies in the league that I feel is better with his blocker than his glove...so it's all relative I guess...
He and his Russian countrymen are better with their blockers. Must be something in the water. Slip over the Finnish border and it is the total opposite.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Finns have an awkward catching motion, that sometimes irks me, but seems to be effective. I feel like Tuukka catches it almost like a baseball player would sometimes...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mikey287 wrote:Finns have an awkward catching motion, that sometimes irks me, but seems to be effective. I feel like Tuukka catches it almost like a baseball player would sometimes...
They hold their hands in front of their bodies more than most. So it is more of a stabbing motion to make glove saves, as opposed to a more windmill type motion.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

You agree with this methodology personally?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

No. It often leaves the holes under your arms open. I play/coach to have your elbows in and basically resting on your hipbones. I want from the outside of your left arm, across your midsection, then the outside of your right arm be one solid mass. No leaky goals. Plus, if you put your elbow on your hipbone, your hand naturally wants to point your fingers toward the ceiling, which is the way I want to see your glove hand being carried, fingers up. Varlamov is a great example. Fingers pointed up. It helps with catching pucks shot into your body. Try it yourself: point your fingers to the left and keep them pointed that way. Try to catch a puck shot at your sternum. Now point fingers up and try to catch the sternum shot. Night and day difference. Every little thing with your stance has an impact on something else.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Thanks for the detailed response. :thumb:
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I'll talk goalie 24/7
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

meow wrote:I'll talk goalie 24/7
In NHL 15, how do you slide tackle the goaler?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

No idea. Haven't played it.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Actually, jam X repeatedly.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Troubles on the high seas in Columbus?
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Honest question: Why's the NHL getting rid of the ice-scrape between the 3rd period & the OT?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Avyran wrote:Honest question: Why's the NHL getting rid of the ice-scrape between the 3rd period & the OT?
Because it is a:

mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Shovel crew can do it faster. It's been about 5-8 minutes across the league to get the dry scrape done. That's a lot of time. (By my eye, I've been counting it at about 7 minutes as the most common number). The feeling is that the full shovel crew and can get all the snow off in 2-3 minutes. So that's one commercial break.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

With the Islanders home and home coming up this weekend going to fall asleep watching Big Shot. Milbury getting duped is always good for sweet dreams.

Also, fish stick jerseys. I had one when I was a kid. Got it at Gabriel Bros in Greensburg.