TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: TV Shows

Post by JeffDFD »

knives of ice wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Shark Tank is such a gimmicky show. There's no way decisions about that much money is being made that hastily.

That being said, its such a fun show to watch.

many of those pitches are 2-3 hours and edited down.

i actually believe shark tank is one of the only real reality shows around from everything i've read.

Yes, I have read some behind the scenes interviews and some of the pitches take several hours. So you do get some creative editing with maybe a reaction shot spliced in of a shark where he actually didn't react that way normally...edited to make a bit more drama. That and they also do perform due diligence after the show which is to make sure the people weren't lying. So if you go on there and say you have a million in sales and make a deal and then they find out you don't have that - they can cancel the deal after the show.

One humorous thing I read is sometimes Mark will purposely curse someone out so they cant use it in the show if he thinks the entrepreneur is full of it.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Yeah, the due diligence after the pitch has caused more than a few deals to be broken.

Cuban talked about it on Stern(?) or some other interview show.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Does anyone think the Seinfeld copy will be any good?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I found this kind of interesting when reading about the networth of each of the sharks:
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is a billionaire. Cuban started out his career by launching a company, MicroSolutions, which was a system integrator and software reseller. He sold it to H&R Block for $6 million and used to fund his next company, Broadcast.com. He started this company based solely on his interests in college basketball and webcasting and he became a billionaire in 1999 when Yahoo acquired his company for $5.7 billion in stock. However, that wasn't his smartest financial move — not by a long shot. Cuban shrewdly understood that the dotcom bubble would burst at some point soon. When the Broadcast.com deal was done, Yahoo's stock was trading at $163 per share. Cuban was required to hold the stock for a period of six months. The day the agreement expired, he unloaded 100% of his Yahoo stock for about the same price as it had been six months prior. This move netted Mark $2.5 billion in cash instantly. Over the next year and a half Yahoo's stock slid 95% from $163 per share down to $8.11 per share in 2001. Had Mark held on, his stake would have dropped from $2.5 billion to $125 million. Not nearly enough to buy an NBA team, movie studio, cable network, private jets..
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Broadcast.com stock to Yahoo paid for a portion of my wedding.

Thanks Mark Cuban!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Neil Gaiman wrote an episode of Dr Who we watched last night, it was great, this is becoming one of my favorite shows.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I liked New Girl yesterday.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Finished watching The Office. The transition without Michael Scott was rough, but overall the show was excellent and ended on a really good note.

Season 8
- A tough watch at times. Some episodes were good, more were not good, most were mediocre.
- The writers did not make good use of the characters or the relationship the audience had with them. More Andy Bernard was not the answer to Steve Carell leaving.
- Andy went from a sometimes likeable, annoying character to an extremely annoying, unlikeable character who suddenly developed some Michael Scott quirks.
- Robert California felt like an unnecessary, unnatural character. Same for Nellie Bertram.

Season 9
- A step in the right direction.
- Kelly and Ryan were not missed. Clark and Pete were good additions.
- Seems like a lot of fans didn't like the tension between Jim and Pam. To me, it made their marriage more realistic.
- Less (and for a while no) Andy and more Jim, Pam, and Dwight helped this season.
- I liked Nellie Bertram more this season than season 8, probably because she was less prominent.
- Subplot involving the boom mike operator and Pam was unnecessary.
- I thought the show hit a really solid stride around episode 18. With the end in sight the show had a purpose beyond trying to survive.
- Finale was fantastic. Easily one of my favorite finales. A show like this deserved closure and a happy ending. Steve Carell's cameo was perfect.

Other Thoughts
- I love Ellie Kemper.
- Kevin was a highlight of the final two seasons.

Edit: For the Kevin fans, go to the 50 minute mark of this blooper video.

[youtube][/youtube]
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

PensFanInDC wrote:At the end of every Raising Hope episode some kid says a one liner over the credits. This last episode the kid said "Let's Go Caps!"

I can take the fact that the dad wears caps merch but that almost crosses the line...
The writer, Greg Garcia, is a DC guy and a big Caps and Redskins fan.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

one of the sneaky bad things about the office is that michael was pretty much a heel who was never truly redeemed. he treated people poorly for selfish reasons. constantly. we rooted for him because...we were supposed to? and because he was like a puppy who pees on your rug, but he's just a puppy so he's forgiven. i never bought it when there was any scene where characters on the show found him endearing.

i guess it's not as bad as the david brent character from the original series, who was a worse person and less of a puppy, though.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I was very confused by the new South Park and didn't find it particularly funny...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:South Park and didn't find it particularly funny...
Yet, it's been on for 18 years. I'll never get it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

columbia wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:South Park and didn't find it particularly funny...
Yet, it's been on for 18 years. I'll never get it.
I got it at first. Then a singing piece of poop joined the cast.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Going to start House of Cards
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Criminal Minds was back last night. The new cast member is Jennifer Love-Hewitt... don't get the casting so much.

Watched this week's Chicago Fire last night, and Chicago PD this am on Hulu. Both seem to be getting better, with some dark undertones present in both.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Watched the Pilot to Forever yesterday. Has promise. Co-star was Rubirosa on the L&O universe.

Gracepoint: So far, it seems almost a dead on copy of Broadchurch, only with poorer acting. Don't think we will watch it out. (We had expected it to be the same premise but some divergence from the original -- so it's in the realm of the American version of Coupling - attempt at dead on copy with American accents, only this one was able to keep David Tennant in common)
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Started OitNB last night, pretty funny so far.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I know Fall is a busy time for TV, but if you're looking for something to watch on Netflix, give Foyle's War a shot. Set during WWII in England, Foyle is a detective working during the war. The episodes run long, like BBC's Sherlock.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Teen Titans Go! Is a garbage heap of a show.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Spring of 2015 will be ten years since the last episode of Star Trek: Enterprise. I am ready for a new star trek series.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Finders keepers
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Hey, new Star Wars cartoon debuted last night. It's called Rebels, and it takes place before the original series. On a bizarre channel called "Disney XD," whatever that is. Looks interesting.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Peaky blinders is new Netflix original series streaming now, looks great

Apparently it is a BBC series?

Ww1 British gang drama
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Hey, new Star Wars cartoon debuted last night. It's called Rebels, and it takes place before the original series. On a bizarre channel called "Disney XD," whatever that is. Looks interesting.
I watched it. It was better than I thought it was going to be. Has a lot of potential. I didn't hate any of the characters which is harder to do than you would think.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Don't know how I didn't know about it earlier, but this peaky blinders show is solid. Cillian Murphy is awesome.