TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by PensFanInDC »

Back on it I go I guess
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Idoit40fans wrote:Didn't we all.
Missionaccomplished.jpg
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

dodint wrote:I like the crossover a lot. Thought it was done very well, actually lol'd a few times.
Spoiler:
Peter throwing the saxaphone away, completely dismissing Megs moment of self-actualization was so great.
like any modern family guy 'sode the crossover had great parts and bad parts. The fight scene was totally worthless but of course they had to throw that in because they don't have enough jokes to fill up the 45 minutes.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

newarenanow wrote:I thought Gotham was good again. The Penguins mom was weird, and there are still some campy stuff, but overall I like the nature of the show. I'm sure over time some of the bugs will work itself out. I hope it last 4-5 seasons and is given a chance.

The girl that plays catwoman though is weird to look at.
I only saw a small part of the pilot, and this episode I watch most of it. What's with Alfred always yelling really loud? He sounds like a villain rather than a wholesome father figure like every other version.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

What did canaan think of it?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Idoit40fans wrote:What did canaan think of it?
Probably didn't watch it because he hated it so much. He sucks.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

eddysnake wrote:first 2 episodes of season 6 of Dr Who are pretty awesome, looking forward to seeing where the story goes.
I am not high on Capaldi as the Doctor. I put him 4th of the new Doctors, and I was not a big fan of Eccleston. (Not including Hurt, but 5th if you want to include him as well.). It isn't that I "dislike" Capaldi's version... I just don't "like" it.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Spangler wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I thought Gotham was good again. The Penguins mom was weird, and there are still some campy stuff, but overall I like the nature of the show. I'm sure over time some of the bugs will work itself out. I hope it last 4-5 seasons and is given a chance.

The girl that plays catwoman though is weird to look at.
I only saw a small part of the pilot, and this episode I watch most of it. What's with Alfred always yelling really loud? He sounds like a villain rather than a wholesome father figure like every other version.
I noticed that too, and IMO, I think Alfred is struggling to be a parent figure at first. Bruce is acting out and doing things to harm himself (in his mind he is testing himself), and Alfred doesn't know how to handle it.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Some of the recent comic book characterizations of Alfred have turned him into a former solider/retired spy/intelligence officer hardass who isn't the most loving of butlers. Add to that NAN's point of Alfred becoming a father for the first time to a 12 year old like two weeks ago.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

newarenanow wrote:
Clique attack!
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
dodint wrote:I like the crossover a lot. Thought it was done very well, actually lol'd a few times.
Spoiler:
Peter throwing the saxaphone away, completely dismissing Megs moment of self-actualization was so great.
like any modern family guy 'sode the crossover had great parts and bad parts. The fight scene was totally worthless but of course they had to throw that in because they don't have enough jokes to fill up the 45 minutes.
To be fair, at one point Peter did say "I'm sorry, I'm getting tired. We normally only do this stuff for a half an hour." :P
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Jim wrote:
eddysnake wrote:first 2 episodes of season 6 of Dr Who are pretty awesome, looking forward to seeing where the story goes.
I am not high on Capaldi as the Doctor. I put him 4th of the new Doctors, and I was not a big fan of Eccleston. (Not including Hurt, but 5th if you want to include him as well.). It isn't that I "dislike" Capaldi's version... I just don't "like" it.
I'm still catching up with Matt Smith in his 2nd season. I like him a lot.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

Dominic Cooper signed today to reprise his role as Howard Stark in the new Agent Carter series. I'd like to say I have high hopes for it but I think Agents of Shield is so terrible I wont hold my breath.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

That's good to hear. I like Agents of Shield. Gets clunky at times but I've enjoyed it.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I just read a review that mirrored how I feel about Gotham. It has an identity crisis. It tries to be dark and campy at the same time, and many fans are turned off by it. I can live with it. But they used the example of the Penguins mom, and those two child trafficers as campy things. Them high fiving and being bubbly, like characters from the Batman and Robin movie. And The Riddler being Jim Carey like, just over the top awkward.

And then you have the dark side, the Penguin slashing peoples necks, other killings, etc, that feature a more "dark" Nolan type Batman universe.

And the two don't mix very well. And fans are more in tune with the darker version now due to the recent Batman trilogy, so that is what they are looking for.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

newarenanow wrote:I just read a review that mirrored how I feel about Gotham. It has an identity crisis. It tries to be dark and campy at the same time, and many fans are turned off by it. I can live with it. But they used the example of the Penguins mom, and those two child trafficers as campy things. Them high fiving and being bubbly, like characters from the Batman and Robin movie. And The Riddler being Jim Carey like, just over the top awkward.

And then you have the dark side, the Penguin slashing peoples necks, other killings, etc, that feature a more "dark" Nolan type Batman universe.

And the two don't mix very well. And fans are more in tune with the darker version now due to the recent Batman trilogy, so that is what they are looking for.
It definitely has an identity crisis. I can deal with it for now, with the hope of the show finding it's footing, but over the long haul I can see the show just getting annoying.

I just watched a promo for the third episode, teasing Zsasz, Scarecrow, and a war between Maroni and Falcone. Seems like too much too soon. Especially on the amount of villains from the comics. At this rate they'll be on Calendar Man or Maxie Zeus by Thanksgiving. I'm also not a big fan of Fish Mooney or Jada's extreme overacting. John Doman is awesome and I really like him as Falcone. I wish she would go away and he'd get more screen time.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

If Will Smith's wife wasn't in the show, it would be better. That can be said about everything she has ever been in.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Dickie Dunn wrote: John Doman is awesome and I really like him as Falcone. I wish she would go away and he'd get more screen time.
He is definitely the best villian so far. I also like the dude that is playing the Penguin.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

At the end of every Raising Hope episode some kid says a one liner over the credits. This last episode the kid said "Let's Go Caps!"

I can take the fact that the dad wears caps merch but that almost crosses the line...
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

newarenanow wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote: John Doman is awesome and I really like him as Falcone. I wish she would go away and he'd get more screen time.
He is definitely the best villian so far. I also like the dude that is playing the Penguin.
Agree with on The Penguin. Robin Lord Taylor has come a long way since playing Abernarthy Darwin Dunlap in Accepted.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Shark Tank is such a gimmicky show. There's no way decisions about that much money is being made that hastily.

That being said, its such a fun show to watch.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Shark Tank is such a gimmicky show. There's no way decisions about that much money is being made that hastily.

I work for a startup and I wish real life investors were a little hastier, instead of the months it normally takes. But that also is one reason why that show irritates me
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Shark Tank is such a gimmicky show. There's no way decisions about that much money is being made that hastily.

many of those pitches are 2-3 hours and edited down.

i actually believe shark tank is one of the only real reality shows around from everything i've read.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Shark Tank and Bar Rescue scratch my entrepreneurial itch.

Then I go to bed to rest up for my 9-5 clock punch.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

newarenanow wrote:
Lol I watched it. It was serviceable, but still bad. It's the fish Mooney character that gets to me. Just useless. I was pleased at the mere mention of Lazlo because I'm a professor pyg fan. The interesting part is the campy nature is the part I actually enjoy. Reminds me of the Adam West series.

Also, nan sucks