Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

Bruce Garrioch
@SunGarrioch
Correction: Two scouts: DET and PIT tonight at the Canadian Tire Centre

Think this is the first time I've see the Pens listed with having scouts at a game this year. I'm sure that's not true, but...

Ottawa is playing Vegas tonight. Vegas with all that cap space would want Jake/Smith I'm sure.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

The Penguins employ scouts? Whao…….Mind Blown
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:37 pm Bruce Garrioch
@SunGarrioch
Correction: Two scouts: DET and PIT tonight at the Canadian Tire Centre

Think this is the first time I've see the Pens listed with having scouts at a game this year. I'm sure that's not true, but...

Ottawa is playing Vegas tonight. Vegas with all that cap space would want Jake/Smith I'm sure.
I think they have had to have had scouts at one point, how else did they know to get Emil Bemstrom?

Oh wait

BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Some Questions:

When it's reported that scouts from another team are in the building, do they have to fill out some type of paperwork to alert the home team? Do they alert the home team that they are in the building to gain access to the press box? Who tips off the media to let the public know how many there are and from what team they represent?

How far into the future can a team offer a pick in a trade? 5 years out, 10 years, ...? Is there a league rule??
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

BigMcK wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:41 am Some Questions:

When it's reported that scouts from another team are in the building, do they have to fill out some type of paperwork to alert the home team? Do they alert the home team that they are in the building to gain access to the press box? Who tips off the media to let the public know how many there are and from what team they represent?

How far into the future can a team offer a pick in a trade? 5 years out, 10 years, ...? Is there a league rule??
If they register with the team, I believe scouts get in free. I've seen several mentions of teams that just buy tickets to the game to stay under the radar.

For draft picks, I don't think there is any league mandated rule on how far in the future a pick is included.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Probably there's something in the by-laws of the NHL. I never found anything in the rules or CBA. I'm going to guess it's 5 years. For two reasons.

First would be that 5 years is near enough in the future to potentially still be relevant to the club that agreed to the deal. There's a reasonable chance to have a significant part of the structure (GM, coach, roster) still in place from year 0. If it gets to 10 years, teams may have replaced every part and player Ship of Theseus style. If it was 10 years, say, then there would be teams trading their 2033 picks.

Second, the current longest deal is the pick Habs got for Sean Monahan, whom they traded for a 1st (2024) and a conditional 3rd (2027, if Jets win the cup in '24). The conditional pick is 4 years out.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:29 pm The Penguins employ scouts? Whao…….Mind Blown
Yeah, I have to agree with you.

Either our scouts absolutely suck or their hands are tied. Farm club and player development (for all its touted) has always been a real black hole in the Pens organization - a true weakness, IMO.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:47 am

Probably there's something in the by-laws of the NHL. I never found anything in the rules or CBA. I'm going to guess it's 5 years. For two reasons.

First would be that 5 years is near enough in the future to potentially still be relevant to the club that agreed to the deal. There's a reasonable chance to have a significant part of the structure (GM, coach, roster) still in place from year 0. If it gets to 10 years, teams may have replaced every part and player Ship of Theseus style. If it was 10 years, say, then there would be teams trading their 2033 picks.

Second, the current longest deal is the pick Habs got for Sean Monahan, whom they traded for a 1st (2024) and a conditional 3rd (2027, if Jets win the cup in '24). The conditional pick is 4 years out.
On the scout question...I'm not sure of the process itself, let's just say that they register with the home team. The way these lists are getting out is, these scouts typically get a seat in the press box, and I think in all cases (scouts, media, etc), when you walk into the press box, there are namecards out for where each person is supposed to sit. So a media person just walks by, looks at the namecards, and notes what teams have sent a rep to the game. In other cases, I have seen where there aren't namecards, but there is a list when you walk into the press box. So if I'm media on the list, I have to look at the list to find where my seating assignment is...and at the same time, I can be seeing who else is attending.

As others have mentioned, Lou Lamorello was famous for having scouts sit in regular, paid seats to watch games. I think Dubas, and some other teams have done this practice as well. I don't think there is anything "illegal" about it. I'm kind of hoping this is the case with Dubas, because I really haven't seen Penguins listed to any games this year.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pagnotta from the Fourth Period was on a podcast. Said the Pens are taking calls on Smith, Rakell, Pettersson and goalies....Didn't mention Jake, but that's already assumed.

Maybe we will see an active deadline. It's hard to move that many pieces in season with the hard cap, but we'll see. Dubas should be open to all options.
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by mnpensfan »

KG wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:22 pm Pagnotta from the Fourth Period was on a podcast. Said the Pens are taking calls on Smith, Rakell, Pettersson and goalies....Didn't mention Jake, but that's already assumed.

Maybe we will see an active deadline. It's hard to move that many pieces in season with the hard cap, but we'll see. Dubas should be open to all options.
Pettersson is untouchable for me. Would move EK65 before him........
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

mnpensfan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:26 pm
KG wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:22 pm Pagnotta from the Fourth Period was on a podcast. Said the Pens are taking calls on Smith, Rakell, Pettersson and goalies....Didn't mention Jake, but that's already assumed.

Not me. If we are moving Jake, then I am open to moving everyone with the exception of Sid, Geno, and Tanger.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:50 pm

Not me. If we are moving Jake, then I am open to moving everyone with the exception of Sid, Geno, and Tanger.
I think this is a case of his value perhaps never being as high as it is now. If we can get a 1st round pick, or a legit prospect that's close to the NHL in exchange for him, I would absolutely consider it.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

No to Pettersson trade. He’s our best defensive defenseman, racking up points, best +/- on the team. Who would be left to defend?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Rust is not making the road trip. That’s not good. If Zohorna isn’t called up to play 3rd line and instead we get more Phillips everyone needs fired more than they already deserved to be.
Last edited by DelPen on Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:55 pm Rust is not making the road trip. That’s not good.

@PensInsideScoop
Bryan Rust is absent from Penguins practice at Rogers Arena in Vancouver. Here are the #LetsGoPens lines in his absence:

Rakell-Crosby-Smith
O’Connor-Malkin-Puustinen
Bemstrom-Eller-Puljujarvi
Harkins-Acciari-Carter
Phillips is rotating on the extra D pair with Ludvig.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

KG wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:55 pm
DelPen wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:55 pm Rust is not making the road trip. That’s not good.

@PensInsideScoop
Bryan Rust is absent from Penguins practice at Rogers Arena in Vancouver. Here are the #LetsGoPens lines in his absence:

Rakell-Crosby-Smith
O’Connor-Malkin-Puustinen
Bemstrom-Eller-Puljujarvi
Harkins-Acciari-Carter
Phillips is rotating on the extra D pair with Ludvig.
I was worried we would see Phillips. Forgot Pool party was on the team because Sully doesn’t like players who play hard.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Wyopen wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:42 pm No to Pettersson trade. He’s our best defensive defenseman, racking up points, best +/- on the team. Who would be left to defend?
MP is 1 year away from UFA. Guess we have to take into potential contract demands. I don't think he would break the bank. He doesn't provide enough offense to get a major pay increase.

That said, anyone is available for the right price in my opinion. As the Million-Dollar-Man used to say. Everyone's got a price!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:05 pm
Wyopen wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:42 pm No to Pettersson trade. He’s our best defensive defenseman, racking up points, best +/- on the team. Who would be left to defend?
MP is 1 year away from UFA. Guess we have to take into potential contract demands. I don't think he would break the bank. He doesn't provide enough offense to get a major pay increase.

That said, anyone is available for the right price in my opinion. As the Million-Dollar-Man used to say. Everyone's got a price!
For as strong as he has been defensively and the cap going up, I'd expect him to be in the 6M range on a new deal. He's a very similar situation to Jake. He turns 28 in May, so, he'd be 2 months past age 29 when a new deal kicks in. Do we want to be giving Pettersson 8x6M at age 29 with where this team is headed? The answer should be no, especially with what he could net the team in assets.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

No offense but that's crazy talk. It would be crazy not to sell high on Petter (and this is from someone who preached patience with him after he fell off his 2nd year and everyone around here wanted him gone). EK is a no-brainer if they could find a taker, which will be next to impossible. I never wanted EK but after the contracts KD was able to unload, if he could turn around and flip him for shorter term $$ and an asset or two, it would be a huge win.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

MP has turned out to be a shockingly great add and contract but you have to move him if possible for the right return. There just seems to be this endless cognitive dissonance between the idea of actually rebuilding and what it would entail. Some voices pay lip service to the idea of having to rebuild, but dislike the moves that would come with a real rebuild. That's been one this team's problems for a while...a lack of drinking from the jug of reality juice.

This team is finished. Full stop. They aren't going anywhere for years at this stage and if you need to start rebuilding, keeping 1 defenseman isn't fixing anything, especially if he can bring in a high level asset. If you could get a 1st for MP? GONE. This team isn't going to be at the point where his presence will put them over the line by the time he's at the end of his career in all likelihood, so if the right deal is there, move him. Move everyone that isn't 87 if the right offering is there.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Antonio wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:40 pm MP has turned out to be a shockingly great add and contract but you have to move him if possible for the right return. There just seems to be this endless cognitive dissonance between the idea of actually rebuilding and what it would entail. Some voices pay lip service to the idea of having to rebuild, but dislike the moves that would come with a real rebuild. That's been one this team's problems for a while...a lack of drinking from the jug of reality juice.

This team is finished. Full stop. They aren't going anywhere for years at this stage and if you need to start rebuilding, keeping 1 defenseman isn't fixing anything, especially if he can bring in a high level asset. If you could get a 1st for MP? GONE. This team isn't going to be at the point where his presence will put them over the line by the time he's at the end of his career in all likelihood, so if the right deal is there, move him. Move everyone that isn't 87 if the right offering is there.
Great points. On the current roster, anyone aside from 87, 58, 10, 17, should be available for the right price. (Of course, 71 isn't going anywhere and likely Karlsson, Graves and Jarry stay, but that's what I'm thinking.)
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:53 pm
Antonio wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:40 pm MP has turned out to be a shockingly great add and contract but you have to move him if possible for the right return. There just seems to be this endless cognitive dissonance between the idea of actually rebuilding and what it would entail. Some voices pay lip service to the idea of having to rebuild, but dislike the moves that would come with a real rebuild. That's been one this team's problems for a while...a lack of drinking from the jug of reality juice.

Great points. On the current roster, anyone aside from 87, 58, 10, 17, should be available for the right price. (Of course, 71 isn't going anywhere and likely Karlsson, Graves and Jarry stay, but that's what I'm thinking.)
It should be 87 and everything else is fair game. That doesn't mean we are going to sell off every single piece in one year, but there's also no reason to not take a good set of assets for Jarry or Karlsson or Graves or DOC.

It might be time for me to write FLPensFan 5 year plan for Kyle Dubas thread.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:20 pm

It should be 87 and everything else is fair game. That doesn't mean we are going to sell off every single piece in one year, but there's also no reason to not take a good set of assets for Jarry or Karlsson or Graves or DOC.

Agreed :thumb:
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:20 pm

I included Graves and Karlsson because, at their prices, I don't think there would be a ton of interest and I wouldn't want to retain salary just to move someone unless they were an impending UFA. I lean toward keeping DOC because he's got youth on his side, plays the type of game we need more of, and he's getting better. Unless another team offered a 1st round pick, or young NHL player for him, I'd keep him.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

The heat should be turned up on Jarry generating interest, now that Fleury has reportedly said he doesn't want to move at the trade deadline. Takes one goalie off the market. Markstrom, Jarry, and Saros likely top 3 guys available. Saros likely most expensive, but has no trade protection. Jarry has a 12 team no-trade list, and Markstrom has a full no move clause.

Jarry with 4 years remaining and the year he's having, I'd be looking for a 1st, a 2nd, a top prospect, and a roster player.

NJ reportedly in serious talks to obtain Markstrom, with pieces already discussed going back and forth. They had one attempt fall apart over amount of money Calgary would need to retain, but Markstrom reportedly is willing to waiver NMC for NJ.