2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by Three Stars »

I understand being disappointed in a non-unanimous result. I don’t understand declaring that this somehow ruins McDavid’s legacy. McD’s actual legacy involves the presence or absence of Stanley Cups on his resume. He’s accomplished everything else already.

It did take the local team a few years to figure out how to build a (back to back) Cup winning team around two highly paid superstars. Heck, it took a few years to figure out how to build a Cup winning team around the best player to ever play.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I heard Treiliving is allowed to sit at Toronto's draft table after Calgary makes their pick at 16 lol. Give me a break Calgary. Like he hasn't been involved in the Leafs draft since they hired him? Silly.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ross Colton from TB to Colorado. Not official yet, but reported by Friedman that it will happen.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote:Ross Colton from TB to Colorado. Not official yet, but reported by Friedman that it will happen.
Ah surprised Tampa couldn't find a way to keep him. Good young player. Type of player that helps you win cups.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Random rumblings from Twitter:

--Chicago is reportedly looking for a backup and had inquired about Cal Petersen before he was dealt to Philly.

--Rangers are looking for a vet backup and could be a landing spot for Quick.

--JT Compher is going to free agency; doesn't sound like Colorado is negotiating further
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Ross Colton from TB to Colorado. Not official yet, but reported by Friedman that it will happen.
Ah surprised Tampa couldn't find a way to keep him. Good young player. Type of player that helps you win cups.
2nd round pick #37 overall (acquired from Montreal yesterday) goes to Tampa for Colton.
bryn20015

Post by bryn20015 »

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:
2nd round pick #37 overall (acquired from Montreal yesterday) goes to Tampa for Colton.
another miss by Dumbass. Why won't anyone call a spade a spade...he has missed out on multiple players who would of helped the Penguins. When is patience actually a problem. I predict a top 10 draft pick next year. Will anyone have the balls to agree with me?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

bryn20015 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:
another miss by Dumbass. Why won't anyone call a spade a spade...he has missed out on multiple players who would of helped the Penguins. When is patience actually a problem. I predict a top 10 draft pick next year. Will anyone have the balls to agree with me?
Seriously? A team gives up a pick in a round the Penguins don't have a pick in and somehow Dubas is to blame? No one will agree with you because you don't want to have a rational conversation on this subject.
bryn20015

Post by bryn20015 »

I would of taken Blackwood for a 6th- a young goalie maybe not better than Jarry but some nice upside.

Just cause they didn't have a 2nd round pick this year doesn't mean that couldn't of used other draft capital to get Colton.

Toffoli would have been a nice middle 6 addition.

I would be all over Chicago and offer them DeSmith for a draft pick but we all know that isn't happening.

Dumbass is a sleep at the wheel.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Does Hextall have any 10 year old children with internet access?
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

lemieuxReturns wrote:Does Hextall have any 10 year old children with internet access?
Seems like it!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Toronto signed David Kampf to a 4 year, 2.5M AAV contract. That's a Teddy Blueger level contract there that they are gonna regret the second his output dips, even if his defense remains. Too much for a 4th liner.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote:Toronto signed David Kampf to a 4 year, 2.5M AAV contract. That's a Teddy Blueger level contract there that they are gonna regret the second his output dips, even if his defense remains. Too much for a 4th liner.
I don't know. By comparison, both he and Granlund average 15 minutes of ice time a night. Granlund makes twice as much and is 3 years older and Kampf kills penalties. I like this deal.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Timo gets 8 x $8.8 mil from the Devils.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Toronto signed David Kampf to a 4 year, 2.5M AAV contract. That's a Teddy Blueger level contract there that they are gonna regret the second his output dips, even if his defense remains. Too much for a 4th liner.
I don't know. By comparison, both he and Granlund average 15 minutes of ice time a night. Granlund makes twice as much and is 3 years older and Kampf kills penalties. I like this deal.
Too much and too long. Especially considering Toronto is cash strapped and could be 500-800K short on re-signing someone like Nylander. I'll be shocked if this deal doesn't come back to bite them at some point, in some way.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pruezy11881 wrote:Timo gets 8 x $8.8 mil from the Devils.
Devils are looking like a legit contender. if they could solidify the goaltending, they will be a tough out for sure. That top 6 is real solid.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

lemieuxReturns wrote:Does Hextall have any 10 year old children with internet access?
The real question is does Hextall have internet access?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

KG wrote:
Devils are looking like a legit contender. if they could solidify the goaltending, they will be a tough out for sure. That top 6 is real solid.
Heard Hellybuck mentioned just as someone who make sense that makes them better and they can afford to take him on. No rumor, just analysis. But Vanicek and this years 2nd and then obviously more like a 2024 2nd that becomes a first with certain conditions like an extension or Cup finals. I guess it depends if there’s any other teams that would offer more now or how desperate if at all Winnipeg is to move him.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote:
KG wrote:
Heard Hellybuck mentioned just as someone who make sense that makes them better and they can afford to take him on. No rumor, just analysis. But Vanicek and this years 2nd and then obviously more like a 2024 2nd that becomes a first with certain conditions like an extension or Cup finals. I guess it depends if there’s any other teams that would offer more now or how desperate if at all Winnipeg is to move him.
I'm not sure how well Hellebuyck fits cap wise. NJ has 6 player making between 6M - 8M cap hit. They only have 9 forwards, 5 defense, and 2 goalies signed. So they need to sign about 6 players with 10.2M in cap space. Boqvist, McLeod, and Bahl will probably take up 4-5M of that as RFA signings. So you'd be down to 3 players needed to field a team of 22 and about 5M in cap space. Vanecek out, Hellebuyck in would work...until next season when Dawson Mercier needs a new deal...and the season after that, Luke Hughes needs a new deal.

It might work, but all those young guys getting good, long term deals is hard to keep if nobody is taking a discount.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote:
DelPen wrote:
KG wrote:
I'm not sure how well Hellebuyck fits cap wise. NJ has 6 player making between 6M - 8M cap hit. They only have 9 forwards, 5 defense, and 2 goalies signed. So they need to sign about 6 players with 10.2M in cap space. Boqvist, McLeod, and Bahl will probably take up 4-5M of that as RFA signings. So you'd be down to 3 players needed to field a team of 22 and about 5M in cap space. Vanecek out, Hellebuyck in would work...until next season when Dawson Mercier needs a new deal...and the season after that, Luke Hughes needs a new deal.

It might work, but all those young guys getting good, long term deals is hard to keep if nobody is taking a discount.
I would think the Devils wouldn't mind getting a mulligan on that Palat contract. 5 years $6mill AAV is rich for that type of player.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Graves, Tatar, and Wood are all going to hit free agency per Tom Fitzgerald. Have heard Vancouver is interested in Wood. Maybe the Penguins can double down on Wood this weekend...one in the draft and one in UFA.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

After the Smith trade, Vegas has now gone and re-signed Barbashev to a 5 year, 25M contract. 5M AAV
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I wonder what Zucker camp was asking?
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Lucic to the Bruins. Everything old is new again still old.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Have to think Hanifin is out of reach for us. LeBrun just had an update that multiple teams are after him. Florida is one of the teams trying to get him, and DuClair would have to go the other way in the deal. Sounds like Calgary has several better offers out there, though.