George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by DelPen »

Idoit40fans wrote:I think Varys is more manipulative and Littlefinger is more evil. :scared: I find Varys to be a much more interesting character.
Spoiler:
It's a shame he has disappeared ever since Tyrion "left" King's Landing. Hopefully the next book has him back in so HBO can adapt him back into seasons 5-?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

DelPen wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I think Varys is more manipulative and Littlefinger is more evil. :scared: I find Varys to be a much more interesting character.
Spoiler:
It's a shame he has disappeared ever since Tyrion "left" King's Landing. Hopefully the next book has him back in so HBO can adapt him back into seasons 5-?
Spoiler:
Ahhhhhh I'm only on book 2...or beginning of book 3, not sure. I bought the 4 books together so they flow from one to the next and I get lost.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

That's not that big of a spoiler really. It's the events leading up to it that are important...
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

PensFanInDC wrote:That's not that big of a spoiler really. It's the events leading up to it that are important...
If it hasn't happened yet on the TV show it get's the spoiler tag so as to not upset anyone.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah, I don't really care about spoilers that aren't like by the way, Ned's head gets cut off at the end of this book so enjoy the end of the season. :pop: :scared:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Haha nice
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Is tonight the season finale?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

eddysnake wrote:Is tonight the season finale?
Episode 7 of 10.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Theon Greyjoy's new favorite song
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
Enjoyed this episode as well, but yet another deviation from the original story where I'm not really sure where they're going...

Storm of Swords spoilers
Spoiler:
So Robb's wife is pregnant? In the book, they go to great lengths to say she is not. In particular, I remember a conversation with Catelyn where she says something like "No, but we've been trying a lot". Not sure where this is going, but I guess we'll see.
Seems that they are using Gendry in place of Erdric Storm... I guess I can understand wanting to eliminate a character while making another more "useful". We'll see how that goes.

The end was fun. They're getting a ton of mileage out of that song. It made significantly more sense here than the previous times it was used though. :pop:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Also, just remembered that Martin wrote this episode which could be him revealing a secret the readers don't even know yet. Or didn't, until now anyway... Hmm...
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Poor GreyJoy I wish I could go help him
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I think watching GoT on Monday nights is going to be my new thing.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

worst episode in all 3 seasons.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Why do you feel that way?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Idoit40fans wrote:I think watching GoT on Monday nights is going to be my new thing.
that's what I've been doing this year (mainly because of streaming quality of HBOGO on premiere nights) and it's been great. I think I may be done with the books now too. With book 4 a complete chore to get through and me being stuck half way through #5, I think I'm going to let the tv show bail me out going forward.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

canaan wrote:Why do you feel that way?
no real hyper analytically reason... I just didn't feel as enticed as I normally do
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

eddysnake wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I think watching GoT on Monday nights is going to be my new thing.
that's what I've been doing this year (mainly because of streaming quality of HBOGO on premiere nights) and it's been great. I think I may be done with the books now too. With book 4 a complete chore to get through and me being stuck half way through #5, I think I'm going to let the tv show bail me out going forward.
Thats my big reason...HBOGO. 1. Its not up till like quarter after and 2. The quality.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

eddysnake wrote:
There has been a lot of deviation from book and TV show at this point, not quite as bad as Walking Dead, but we are in some parallel dimension of Westeros where Tyrion Lannister isn't ugly as sin so it changes the dynamic a lot. They could never have Margerie try to sell Tyrion to Sansa based on him being somewhat handsome.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

eddysnake wrote:
Yeah books 4 and 5 are really bad compared to 1-3.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
Yeah books 4 and 5 are really bad compared to 1-3.
Just in case...
Spoiler:
I really wish Martin would release an updated 4 and 5 that had a continuous timeline. I really did not like reading about Sam and Gillie and nothing about Jon but then have to rehash that crap again the next book.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

DelPen wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
There has been a lot of deviation from book and TV show at this point, not quite as bad as Walking Dead, but we are in some parallel dimension of Westeros where Tyrion Lannister isn't ugly as sin so it changes the dynamic a lot. They could never have Margerie try to sell Tyrion to Sansa based on him being somewhat handsome.
Yeah, I can understand why they changed Tyrion, but it makes somethings play out a lot more differently.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I really don’t like the changes made to Sansa’s wedding to Tyrion. In the books, Sansa has no advance warning whatsoever of the marriage. Cersei suddenly comes into her room and has the maids fit Sansa with a new dress. Sansa is wondering why the queen is being nice to her for once when she realizes that the dress is actually a wedding dress, and Cersei then malevolently tells her that she’s getting married to Tyrion. It’s also strongly intimated that the Tyrrells learned of the marriage at about the same time Sansa did, and none of them attend the ceremony (but are present at the reception).

I also know they are trying to keep down the number of characters compared to the books, but in the books Loras Tyrell is not the family’s heir. In fact, he’s the third son behind older brothers Willas and Garlan. Willas Tyrell has yet to appear in the books in person, but he is significant as an injury he sustained that left him partially crippled is a source of tension between the Tyrells and House Martell of Dorne, and Oberyn Martell will probably make his appearance next season. He's a pretty significant character, and the books get more into the workings of House Martell as they go along.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

The red viper is one of my favorite characters.
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

canaan wrote:The red viper is one of my favorite characters.
Mine too. Waiting to see what he looks like on the show