Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by ahawk9 »

Imagine if Puustinen had turned over the puck on the first goal instead of Letang.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Sullivan would have had him executed.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... ns-future/

Madden taking the position that moving Jarry when his value might be at his highest.

I wouldn't be against anything. All depends on the offers. I don't see Dubas making that move though.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Both Madden and Bentz are horrible writers. Especially Tim, but Madden does have a point on this one.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Crash66 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:14 am But according to Sullivan, we're all stupid and he's a genius. Even Jay and Co. we're raving about Puustinen during the 2nd intermission and after the game. Other than 1 glaring turnover, he had a great game.
More glaring than the Letang turnover to Matheson?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:52 am https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... ns-future/

Madden taking the position that moving Jarry when his value might be at his highest.

I wouldn't be against anything. All depends on the offers. I don't see Dubas making that move though.
I've been saying this for awhile, the Pens front office though doesn't practice good asset management. I'm hopeful that changes under Dubas. With that said a Jarry trade is unlikely due to his salary.

I would look to extend Ned now and would be planning on a Blomquist Ned duo for next season.

Thehauls for Jake and Jarry should help to make this team younger and fill in holes
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:57 am Dejan argues that Phillips may be the worst waiver wire pickup ever, and that whoever evaluated him should be banned from hockey. There were a couple of reasons/examples given, but the big one, in terms of his spot in the lineup:

With Phillips in 5:03 of ice time ... (with Geno)

Shots: 10-1 for Montreal
Shot attempts: 15-1 for Montreal

With Puustinen in 3:39 of ice time ... (with Geno)

Shots: 6-0 for Pittsburgh
Shot attempts: 11-1 for Pittsburgh
No no no no no

The problem is Geno!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:00 am
KG wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:52 am https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... ns-future/

I've been saying this for awhile, the Pens front office though doesn't practice good asset management. I'm hopeful that changes under Dubas. With that said a Jarry trade is unlikely due to his salary.

I would look to extend Ned now and would be planning on a Blomquist Ned duo for next season.

Thehauls for Jake and Jarry should help to make this team younger and fill in holes
I don't think most teams are going to think Jarry's salary is too high. This is Year 1 of his deal and:

--He's 7th in the league in GAA.
--He's tied for 7th in SV%.
--He's first in the league in shutouts.
--He's 7th in the league in GSAA
--He's 11th in Goalie Point Share (impact on gaining points due to goalie play)
--He's 6th in quality starts.

More importantly, with the exception of goalie point share (which I doubt teams look at), he's ahead of Markstrom, Saros, and Fleury in all of those categories...by a sizeable margin.

I can pay assets for a 34 year old Markstrom, who costs 665K more than Jarry, or I can pay similar assets for a 28 year old Jarry? I would tend to agree with Madden that, if a team desperate for goalie help.

Go to Edmonton, and if they offer 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, Dylan Holloway, Beau Akey, and Jack Campbell (with retained salary), would you take it?

As you said, Blomqvist is drawing rave reviews, from Dubas and even recently Hellberg. He's unseated Hellberg as the #1 goalie in WBS. He did this over in Europe, too. I thought he was going to need another year in WBS, but, it seems like they should maybe try and call him up for a game or two this year. I wouldn't be opposed to Ned for maybe 3.5M for 3 years, and Blomqvist as his backup...with Jack Campbell sitting in the minors as a fallback option (maybe they recover his game, too, and can later flip him).
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:28 am

I don't think most teams are going to think Jarry's salary is too high. This is Year 1 of his deal and:

More importantly, with the exception of goalie point share (which I doubt teams look at), he's ahead of Markstrom, Saros, and Fleury in all of those categories...by a sizeable margin.

I can pay assets for a 34 year old Markstrom, who costs 665K more than Jarry, or I can pay similar assets for a 28 year old Jarry? I would tend to agree with Madden that, if a team desperate for goalie help.

Go to Edmonton, and if they offer 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, Dylan Holloway, Beau Akey, and Jack Campbell (with retained salary), would you take it?

As you said, Blomqvist is drawing rave reviews, from Dubas and even recently Hellberg. He's unseated Hellberg as the #1 goalie in WBS. He did this over in Europe, too. I thought he was going to need another year in WBS, but, it seems like they should maybe try and call him up for a game or two this year. I wouldn't be opposed to Ned for maybe 3.5M for 3 years, and Blomqvist as his backup...with Jack Campbell sitting in the minors as a fallback option (maybe they recover his game, too, and can later flip him).
Agreed. I think the Pens could get a solid haul for Jarry. Kings also need a goalie badly. They have some good young players who can help now, not just picks. Kaliyev, Turcotte type of younger pieces who should be available.

I wouldn't be against going into next season with Ned and say MAF for 1 year (retire) and then go with Ned/Blomqvist platoon.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

"Go to Edmonton, and if they offer 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, Dylan Holloway, Beau Akey, and Jack Campbell (with retained salary), would you take it?"

Ugh. Campbell even with 50% retained is a tough pill to swallow until 2027?
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Jake
Jarry
MP

All three would bring in a 1st, top prospect, ++ in my opinion. That is all without touching any of the 3 core guys.
And you would still have EK to possibly deal.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:37 am "Go to Edmonton, and if they offer 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, Dylan Holloway, Beau Akey, and Jack Campbell (with retained salary), would you take it?"

Nah, send his to WBS.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:37 am "Go to Edmonton, and if they offer 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, Dylan Holloway, Beau Akey, and Jack Campbell (with retained salary), would you take it?"

Not really.

Campbell makes 5M AAV. He's buried in the minors, costing Edmonton 3.875M in cap hit on their NHL roster. If Edmonton retains 50% on Campbell, that means he's costing them 2.5M against their cap hit. Edmonton saves 1.3M in cap. For Pittsburgh, he costs 2.5M, and they can bury him, in which case he costs 1.375M against the cap. With a rising salary cap, if that's what it takes to get a young NHL ready player in Holloway, and Edmontons 2nd or 3rd best defensive prospect, I'm willing to take that hit.

Add in that, if the Penguins could help Campbell recover his game over the next year or two, they may be able to flip him for more assets down the road. If not, then they have an emergency 3rd goalie available in Campbell.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:39 am Jake
Jarry
MP

All three would bring in a 1st, top prospect, ++ in my opinion. That is all without touching any of the 3 core guys.
EK is going to be really hard to deal. The teams that might want him are going to have to move out a major piece. If we retain, say in a trade this summer, that's still 3 years of maybe 5M in dead cap space from EK. Not sure I would want to do that.

I took a quick look at Edmonton and Vancouver as possible destinations at the trade deadline for EK65....Even though he's on an expiring deal, Vancouver really likes how Tyler Myers has played this year. They'd likely need to give him up to us to help make the cap work.

Edmonton would likely need to send us Codi Ceci plus another significant roster piece...unless we washed EK65 through a 3rd party, which may cost both teams a diminished return.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Sorry about the thread about the salary cap increase earlier guys. I totally misread NFL as NHL and went nuts!
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:18 am
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:57 am Dejan argues that Phillips may be the worst waiver wire pickup ever, and that whoever evaluated him should be banned from hockey. There were a couple of reasons/examples given, but the big one, in terms of his spot in the lineup:

With Phillips in 5:03 of ice time ... (with Geno)

Shots: 10-1 for Montreal
Shot attempts: 15-1 for Montreal

With Puustinen in 3:39 of ice time ... (with Geno)

Shots: 6-0 for Pittsburgh
Shot attempts: 11-1 for Pittsburgh
No no no no no

The problem is Geno!
And these numbers are clear - everyone sees it - and yet let's wait to see what happens Sunday under the Guru's watchful gaze.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:28 am

My apologies I wasn't clear, I don't think Jarry's salary is too high in general it's too high for an in season trade. A Jarry trade in the off-season is very feasible before the deadline not so much. I would be against retaining on Jarry, Karlsson is a different story. I would retain on him if we got a viable replacement like Cecil in return
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:39 am Jake
Jarry
MP

Jake and Jarry should draw firsts, and I don't think it makes a lot of sense to sell Pettersson as he is a top defender and not old. Those are the kind of guys you want to build around, not move for assets. That's Pirates thinking, in my opinion.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Wes Crosby
@OtherNHLCrosby
#Pens lines:
Rakell -- Crosby -- Rust
O'Connor -- Malkin -- Puustinen
Smith -- Eller -- Bemstrom/Phillips
Harkins -- Acciari -- Carter

D:
Joseph -- Letang
Pettersson -- Karlsson
Graves -- Ruhwedel
Ludvig -- Puljujarvi

Hopefully Bemstrom is in for Phillip. But for the love of god man, take Harkins and or Carter out for Puljujarvi!
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Nah...the pool party lasted like a game and a half. Definitely enough to see all you need to see and to know Harkins brings a hard shot to the lineup...or something.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Listened to Sullivan's media scrum this afternoon. He was asked about putting Bemstrom on the 3rd line, and how most new players start out on the 3rd line. He spoke about the top 6 being pretty consistent then he mentioned the 4th line. He said he really likes "Cookie, Carts and Harts" they create momentum for the team. So in other words, the 3rd line is the only line that has any flexibility.

I hate the 4th line, save for Acciari.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Another thought I had from the silver lining department:

The Pens are 9th from the bottom in the league standings right now. Say the Pens get a top-10 draft pick, a good young prospect/NHL roster player in a Guentzel deal, and Yager is ready for the NHL next season. There are still some big "ifs" here, but it's plausible that they'd have 3 new, good, young players on the roster next season.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

largegarlic wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:40 pm Another thought I had from the silver lining department:

The Pens are 9th from the bottom in the league standings right now. Say the Pens get a top-10 draft pick, a good young prospect/NHL roster player in a Guentzel deal, and Yager is ready for the NHL next season. There are still some big "ifs" here, but it's plausible that they'd have 3 new, good, young players on the roster next season.
Yager won't be ready next year, and there is probably only a 20% chance of a top 10 making the jump to the NHL next year. Top 5, maybe 40-50% chance of making the jump.

But, Yager, a top 10 pick next year, whoever we get for Guentzel (fingers crossed), potentially getting a return for Jarry...those 4 young players should all see NHL time before Crosby packs up the skates. 25-26 season seems more likely.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

KG wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:16 pm Listened to Sullivan's media scrum this afternoon. He was asked about putting Bemstrom on the 3rd line, and how most new players start out on the 3rd line. He spoke about the top 6 being pretty consistent then he mentioned the 4th line. He said he really likes "Cookie, Carts and Harts" they create momentum for the team. So in other words, the 3rd line is the only line that has any flexibility.

I don't hate the 4th line...I hate Sullivan. I mean, I detest him and his stupid, single minded, blind, myopic, imbecilic approach to this team. Yeah...momentum! You have been charging ahead full speed alright...into the gutter. **** ****.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

KG wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:16 pm Listened to Sullivan's media scrum this afternoon. He was asked about putting Bemstrom on the 3rd line, and how most new players start out on the 3rd line. He spoke about the top 6 being pretty consistent then he mentioned the 4th line. He said he really likes "Cookie, Carts and Harts" they create momentum for the team. So in other words, the 3rd line is the only line that has any flexibility.

Another proof Sully is full of ****.. so why is he switching 2nd line so much?? LOL.. he even tried midget Phillips there :lol: