Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by count2infinity »

There's a plane flying over campus right now that has a sign that says, "Take down the statue or we will."
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Class of 2013 right now, its early but Scout has PSU at #13, Rivals #15.

Tbh I think they should be ranked even higher. I generally judge recruits not by their stars but by the offers they receive from what schools, and some of the guys PSU are locking up are studs

Obviously depending upon what happens almost all of these guys might back out, but wtf.. how are they getting these verbal commitments while all of this is going on?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

viva la ben wrote:This does not look good.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... penn-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am glad the NCAA President and I agree, but not on one key point. The University needs to sanction itself. Waiting for the NCAA to punish them is not enough. This should be a pre-trial, self-imposed punishment by the folks who make academic decisions at Penn State.

Football may limp along for many decades under the cloud that this whole mess has created, but it should not. The response needs to be historic, or my University is a joke. Even if the NCAA puts a bullet in them, it will not be the same in terms of the University's integrity.

Football needs to be rebuilt from the ground up there.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

IanMoran wrote:Class of 2013 right now, its early but Scout has PSU at #13, Rivals #15.

Tbh I think they should be ranked even higher. I generally judge recruits not by their stars but by the offers they receive from what schools, and some of the guys PSU are locking up are studs

Obviously depending upon what happens almost all of these guys might back out, but wtf.. how are they getting these verbal commitments while all of this is going on?
I would think it's probably a combination of O'Brien's NFL experience and probably selling some sort of 'you can start a new era' type talk from them.......or they're just paying them.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

IanMoran wrote:Class of 2013 right now, its early but Scout has PSU at #13, Rivals #15.

It seems obvious that they are selling the idea of rebuilding a storied program and that the new coach is a great recruiter with a pro-vision. That just means he is the guy to re-start everything from scratch in 2013.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

pittsoccer33 wrote:The whole program appears to be corrupt, organizationally. From the former head coach, to janitors and graduate assistants who were more afraid of their jobs and careers, the culture there demanded strictly supporting the program and the coaching staff.

I know there is a new head coach in place but how many Paterno holdovers are there? Bradley left, right?
No paterno holdovers I dont think. McQueary was it, just because they couldnt legally fire him, and his contract ended july 1 or something like that.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

O'brien kept D-Line coach Larry Johnson Sr. and LB coach Ron Vanderlinden
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Is Penn State even a school whose athletics end for profit every year?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

IanMoran wrote:O'brien kept D-Line coach Larry Johnson Sr. and LB coach Ron Vanderlinden
That's right.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Rylan wrote:Is Penn State even a school whose athletics end for profit every year?
I believe they are but not sure. Either way the football program generally has a huge profit / picks up the losses from the other programs (like most major D1 schools)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/11/news/ec ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And Penn State football's profit of $53.2 million was second only to the University of Texas' total of $71.2 million.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Rylan wrote:Is Penn State even a school whose athletics end for profit every year?
From what I've heard the only teams profitable are football and mens basketball. They support all the other sports.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

IanMoran wrote:
I believe they are but not sure. Either way the football program generally has a HUGE profit / picks up the losses from the other programs (like most major D1 schools)
'
That is a huge issue I have with major sanctions because you don't just punish the football culture. If they do end up still in the black every year, then I think any profit should go to a charity for abused children or something of the ilk.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011 ... er-sports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to this PSU had a profit of 43 mill from athletics last year
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

IanMoran wrote:http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011 ... er-sports/

Its really 26 million after hidden expenses. Coaches salaries, recruiting blah blah blah (its in the article.)

I think a self imposed fine of at least 85% of all profit should get donated to charities.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Rylan wrote:
IanMoran wrote:http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011 ... er-sports/

Its really 26 million after hidden expenses. Coaches salaries, recruiting blah blah blah (its in the article.)

I think a self imposed fine of at least 85% of all profit should get donated to charities.
Yea I just skimmed it
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

http://triblive.com/news/2195748-74/cor ... h-governor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The governor, often criticized for a three-year investigation, became agitated when a reporter asked whether the report made him reflect that he could have done things differently, including finishing the investigation more quickly.

Why are you all obsessed with that? It’s been answered over and over and over again … 45 of 48 counts. We do not hold up investigations for anything. You are disparaging the reputation of men and women in that office who have worked very hard to get results and take a monster off the street,” he said.
wow...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Is that in keeping with his personality?
(I don't anything about Corbett.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:
If they went after Cal Tech for this, what do yinz think that they'll do with Penn State?
shafnutz05 wrote:I understand the Penn State case is MUCH more bad and ugly, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the NCAA is more likely to pursue certain punishments against them, since a lot of that is already being punished in the criminal court system.
One thing that might be mitigating the NCAA's response is that the SMU death penalty and the CalTech things were violations of NCAA rules which included no violations outside the NCAA's jurisdiction. There are, at least to my limited knowledge, no statutory restrictions against paying collegiate athletes; meaning, it isn't illegal. That means the only avenue for recourse were sanctions from the Athletic Association.

What was going on at Penn State was an entirely different type of offense, rife with criminality. Oddly, there are no specific NCAA rules that were broken here (unless you get into the area of "bringing the NCAA into disrepute"/morals violations/etc)..... and I posit that this is because the judicial system is the best instrument to mete out justice in matters such as this.

The death penalty is unwarranted because the nature of the offenses are - rightly - well outside the NCAA's purview, and also because as more and more is learned about the depths and breadth of the cover up it seems the University is proving rather adept at self-destructing and imposing an unwitting 'suicide penalty' on itself.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

mac5155 wrote:
From what I've heard the only teams profitable are football and mens basketball. They support all the other sports.
That's pretty much the case at almost all universities, tho.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

So if this isn't in the jurisdiction of the NCAA, then how could they do anything "minor" like affecting bowl appearances or scholarships?

It's either in their wheelhouse or it isn't.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

The NCAA will take some type of action because of public pressure, but they won't go full bore death penalty. It's not in their wheelhouse, but the magnitude of what happened dictates they take some kind of action.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

colin dunlap had an interesting take: penn state is a member of the NCAA. As a membership organization, you would think the organization can make a decision to reprimand (sp?) one of their members.

Thats like saying you can't kick someone out of the local elks club because they stole money at work or something.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Because it's not that simple.

If you want to see sickening, go read the comments on some of the ESPN articles -_-
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

count2infinity wrote:http://triblive.com/news/2195748-74/cor ... h-governor
The governor, often criticized for a three-year investigation, became agitated when a reporter asked whether the report made him reflect that he could have done things differently, including finishing the investigation more quickly.

Why are you all obsessed with that? It’s been answered over and over and over again … 45 of 48 counts. We do not hold up investigations for anything. You are disparaging the reputation of men and women in that office who have worked very hard to get results and take a monster off the street,” he said.
wow...
This is from last week. I saw the video of the interview on KDKA. Corbett was ticked. He was getting angrier and angrier as the interview went on.

It was a valid question, and his response was...interesting.