TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: TV Shows

Post by dodint »

Under The Dome. It has officially pivoted to the point that it's unrecognizable. That's not a complaint. I can finally release that aggravation I have about it being so unfaithful to the source material. This week was it, it has more of a resemblance to Lost than it does the King novel at this point.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I'm halfway through the 1st season of Rectify on Netflix, and so far it's been fantastic. It's a Terrence Malick-style TV show--kind of ponderous, minimal dialogue, but really great, subtle moments and plenty of visuals that give you a sense of what the characters are feeling. I guess the 2nd season is going on Sundance right now.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

dodint wrote:Under The Dome. It has officially pivoted to the point that it's unrecognizable. That's not a complaint. I can finally release that aggravation I have about it being so unfaithful to the source material. This week was it, it has more of a resemblance to Lost than it does the King novel at this point.
Yeah this week was.....something.

Those kids are terrible actors.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

I keep thinking that Under the Dome can't go more out to left field. It keeps proving me wrong every week. It's a gift that keeps giving.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Next week they're going to cure cancer using Big Jim's brow sweat.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

PensFanInDC wrote:Next week they're going to cure cancer using Big Jim's brow sweat.
I thought they were going to bottle his sweat and give it to everyone to drink after they ran out of water.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

No no no. That's juniors tears.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Ah, okay. My bad.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

HoW
Spoiler:
I don't think we've seen the last of the Swede.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:HoW
Spoiler:
Agreed.
Spoiler:
We won't see the last of him until you see his death on screen or the series ends.
Season 2 wasn't great but season 3 was stellar. Season 4 is shaping up to be even better. It's a good sign that this show is still getting better on it's 4th season.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I'm a bit let down by Big Jim. He's just walking around being a grumblelord lately instead of actually doing anything. And his shirt is too tight.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I think it's building up to him becoming super villain again
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Sherlock is awesome, waiting for the Christmas special next year and Series 4 in 2016 is brutal.

Anything comparable from BBC? Never watched any of the Dr. Who series but see Steven Moffat is in charge, is it worth watching?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Oh yeah... Really need to get around to watching HoW. Maybe I'll try to catch up before episode 3 on Sunday.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

the wicked child wrote:Oh yeah... Really need to get around to watching HoW. Maybe I'll try to catch up before episode 3 on Sunday.
I hear you on being behind. At least I only have the S3 finale to watch now (plus the two season 4 eps).
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Has anyone watched Jonah from Tonga or Ja'mie on HBO?

What a horrible couple of shows...oddly starring the same guy.

Jonah from Tonga is 39-year old Chris Lilley in blackface as a 14-year old.

Ja'mie is Mr. Lilley as a schoolgirl.

Is he the new Sacha Baron Cohen and I just don't get it or are these shows as bad as they seem?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

That Ja'mie show is awful, from the actors to the production it's a bag of terrible. I was crusing through HBOGo and my wife asked what it was, so we took a look. Egads.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

DelPen wrote:Sherlock is awesome, waiting for the Christmas special next year and Series 4 in 2016 is brutal.

Anything comparable from BBC? Never watched any of the Dr. Who series but see Steven Moffat is in charge, is it worth watching?
I started watching Dr Who and I thought they were pretty good. There are so many episodes so it's a little overwhelming. Sherlock is top notch. Dr Martin looks pretty good too, but they just removed a bunch of the seasons so I can start from #1.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

PensFanInDC wrote:Yeah this week was.....something.

They're the worst actors I've ever seen on a network show. ;)

I think my biggest problem with the show right now is that it has taken a pretty awesome premise (town trapped under a dome) and basically thrown it out the window. Even if you don't want to stick to the King storyline, you could have all sorts of awesome character-driven drama. Instead, we get gangsters and people coming back from the dead and a way to get out of the dome (17 days in!), etc. It's so silly. :lol:

You can tell that the writers never expected to get past season 1 because basically everything that happened last season has been tossed out. They might have an idea where they're going now, but I doubt it. Not that it matters because I can't imagine the show lasting beyond 3 seasons.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

i thought angry boys was funny. S.mouse made me laugh.

re: lilley
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Hockeynut! wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Yeah this week was.....something.

Even if you don't want to stick to the King storyline, you could have all sorts of awesome character-driven drama. It's so silly. :lol:

You can tell that the writers never expected to get past season 1 because basically everything that happened last season has been tossed out. They might have an idea where they're going now, but I doubt it. Not that it matters because I can't imagine the show lasting beyond 3 seasons.
This is exactly what I was ranting about. I expected it to be an adult Lord of the Flies and instead got this thing. Yes, it was supposed to be a single season.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:HoW
Spoiler:
Agreed.
Spoiler:
We won't see the last of him until you see his death on screen or the series ends.
Season 2 wasn't great but season 3 was stellar. Season 4 is shaping up to be even better. It's a good sign that this show is still getting better on it's 4th season.
Spoiler:
The Swede is a great character...but the show cannot keep "dealing with him" and then bringing him back forever. Although I agree he is not gone yet
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Finished watching Psych. Was really a great show. Season eight was definitely the worst, but it was still pretty solid and the finale was excellent. Funny show with excellent pop cultures references, great guest stars, and could do serious and dramatic pretty damn well. Two thumbs up from me.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I'm one episode into season 2.I love the show, but finding time to watch it in amongst everything else has been tough. Maybe Netflix will have Season 8 by the time I get around to it. ;)
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

the wicked child wrote:I'm one episode into season 2.I love the show, but finding time to watch it in amongst everything else has been tough. Maybe Netflix will have Season 8 by the time I get around to it. ;)
I got through season 7 and decided to buy season 8 on Amazon. Just couldn't stand waiting for Netflix to get it.