2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote:UFA Nick Foligno and Taylor Hall going to Chicago. No word yet on what is coming back per Dreger, Freidman, and Seravalli

EDIT: Boston gets RFA rights to two guys (I think both AHLers) that they aren't going to sign. Pure cap dump by Boston, who will likely now focus on signing Tyler Bertuzzi.

EDIT2: I'm not big on Taylor Hall BUT...this is the exact type of move Dubas should have been in on and talked about. Getting Hall for 2 years for essentially nothing but the cap space. Hopefully there are a few more (Montreal, Tampa, Vegas) teams that have deals like this out there.
Exactly. This is the type of move Dubas was talking about. Maybe Boston would rather trade him to a lesser team in Chicago as opposed to helping the Pens out...assuming Dubas was even interested.
bryn20015

Post by bryn20015 »

anyone else not like Dubas so far???? Has not done ****, maybe he wasn't the right hire.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

bryn20015 wrote:anyone else not like Dubas so far???? Has not done ****, maybe he wasn't the right hire.
LOL! What's your deal? You can't be serious, right?
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

This has to be some kind of intentional trolling to be funny. Has to be.
bryn20015

Post by bryn20015 »

it is how I feel. I am not entitled to my opinion right? obviously he isn't getting fired any time soon but I still do not like what i have seen, just being so passive and not making any moves while other teams r trading and signing guys. I expected a big splash or something more than resigning a career minor leaguer.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

bryn20015 wrote:it is how I feel. I am not entitled to my opinion right? obviously he isn't getting fired any time soon but I still do not like what i have seen, just being so passive and not making any moves while other teams r trading and signing guys. I expected a big splash or something more than resigning a career minor leaguer.
Considering he's pretty much rebuilding this stale organization from the ground up, how do you know he isn't doing anything? Not making the news doesn't mean not finding a GM, not finding scouts, not interviewing head of scout positions, not looking into why WBS has been a failure in recent years (not just bad prospects, the Penguins have usually had bad prospects), getting ready for the draft, getting ready for the UFA market. Not trading for Taylor Hall is never a bad thing in my mind.

The Penguins needs are goaltending, defense, & forwards. There are maybe 7-8 positions that don't need to be looked at. Outside of Letang, Pettersson, Crosby, Malkin, Rakel, Jake, maybe Rust I'd say every position needs to be filled (not counting RFAs). This is going to be a slow process and not something he can dive right into.

Not going to tell you how to feel, but talk to me next year at this time for a better discussion of the job he's done. You know I have no issues criticizing the Penguin management or coaching, just too early to give any evaluation.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Some other rumors that had been circulating today:

--DeBrincat to Detroit sounds like it is picking up steam
--There was a rumor from a former player on a podcast that Ottawa wants Tom Wilson
--Sounds like LA is getting close with PLD, but Montreal may come back into the fold
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

FLPensFan wrote:Some other rumors that had been circulating today:

--There was a rumor from a former player on a podcast that Ottawa wants Tom Wilson
--Sounds like LA is getting close with PLD, but Montreal may come back into the fold
DeBrincat would be a total Stevie Y move, and he’ll get back to 35+ goals a season.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

murphydump55 wrote:

DeBrincat would be a total Stevie Y move, and he’ll get back to 35+ goals a season.
So, the latest strong rumor is that a deal is "done" but it is contingent on 2 things.

Rumored deal is Zadina, 17th overall, and either one of 3 2nd rounders Detroit owns this year, or Boston's 1st rounder next year (which Detroit owns), and DeBrincat going to Detroit

The big contingency is that Ottawa has a certain prospect that they are looking to draft at 17th overall, so it sounds like that prospect needs to be available for Ottawa to go through with the trade.

The 2nd contingency is DeBrincat signing an extension, but that is seen as a non-issue because DeBrincat had Detroit as one of his preferred trade destinations.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I wonder if the hawks would trade Hall at 50% retained to the Penguins for the 14th pick. We would get Hall for 2 years at 3M which would fit the Penguins window. He could replace Zucker.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

So, the latest strong rumor is that a deal is "done" but it is contingent on 2 things.

Rumored deal is Zadina, 17th overall, and either one of 3 2nd rounders Detroit owns this year, or Boston's 1st rounder next year (which Detroit owns), and DeBrincat going to Detroit

The big contingency is that Ottawa has a certain prospect that they are looking to draft at 17th overall, so it sounds like that prospect needs to be available for Ottawa to go through with the trade.

The 2nd contingency is DeBrincat signing an extension, but that is seen as a non-issue because DeBrincat had Detroit as one of his preferred trade destinations.
Well.....what if that prospect is available for the Penguins at 14. 8-)

Perhaps DeBrincat comes to Pittsburgh?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote:I wonder if the hawks would trade Hall at 50% retained to the Penguins for the 14th pick. We would get Hall for 2 years at 3M which would fit the Penguins window. He could replace Zucker.

I wouldn't do that deal. 14th overall pick has the potential to be a real player and help the eventual rebuild. There are enough UFA options or other trade options out there to trade for Zucker's replacement at minimal cost.

Someone like Duclair in Florida is rumored to be available because of their cap crunch. Plenty of options. I'm not moving the 14th overall unless it's for a game changer type of player.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote:I wonder if the hawks would trade Hall at 50% retained to the Penguins for the 14th pick. We would get Hall for 2 years at 3M which would fit the Penguins window. He could replace Zucker.
While the options are slim in UFA market, I really cannot get behind trading 14th overall for a forward unless they are 25 or younger. A top 6 forward is not a priority in my opinion. I think this team could, if it needed to, run on a model where a top 9 type forward is in the top 6. Put a strong defensive, speedy forechecker that has some hands in the top 6 and I still think it works just fine (think Dupuis).

If we are going to trade away 14th overall, a young player, a top 4 d-man under 30, or a starting goalie would be my limits to what I would move that pick.

EDIT: One other option I just saw, which I would consider if none of the stronger players fell to 14th (like a Zach Benson or someone else expected to go higher)...14th overall and Granlund to Chicago for 19th overall. Move back 5 spots, remove 5M in cap space.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Detroit will be better. Ottawa, Buffalo. Not going to be an easy off season if the goal is to get back into the playoffs. Pens need to get back to rolling 4 lines and having 3 legit scoring lines.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote:
While the options are slim in UFA market, I really cannot get behind trading 14th overall for a forward unless they are 25 or younger. A top 6 forward is not a priority in my opinion. I think this team could, if it needed to, run on a model where a top 9 type forward is in the top 6. Put a strong defensive, speedy forechecker that has some hands in the top 6 and I still think it works just fine (think Dupuis).

If we are going to trade away 14th overall, a young player, a top 4 d-man under 30, or a starting goalie would be my limits to what I would move that pick.

EDIT: One other option I just saw, which I would consider if none of the stronger players fell to 14th (like a Zach Benson or someone else expected to go higher)...14th overall and Granlund to Chicago for 19th overall. Move back 5 spots, remove 5M in cap space.
Ok, how about we meet half way then. 14th pick to the Hawks for the 19th pick and Hall @50%.
bryn20015

Post by bryn20015 »

another miss by Dubas. Isn't he still living in Toronto? can someone buy him some Tim Horton's to wake him up. New boss same as the old boss
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Foligno just signed with Chicago. 1 year $4million AAV ! lol. I know they have to get to the floor, but sheesh.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Dreger says Toronto is circling around Kerfoot and Kampf, considering attempting to re-sign them...with Kampf being the priority.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote:Dreger says Toronto is circling around Kerfoot and Kampf, considering attempting to re-sign them...with Kampf being the priority.
Toronto has a lot of work to do.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Dreger says Toronto is circling around Kerfoot and Kampf, considering attempting to re-sign them...with Kampf being the priority.
Toronto has a lot of work to do.
So does Pittsburgh. :wink:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Around the league:

--Patrik Allvin says Canucks unlikely to move Pick 11. Says there is a lot of trade talk around the league, mainly due to another year of only 1M cap increase. Negotiations are tough around the league.

--Winnipeg and LA still plugging away on a PLD deal. LA is trying to work out extension parameters with PLD's agent.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sounds like Comtois isn't getting a qualifying offer from Anaheim. If so, he will be a UFA July 1. He's someone that Dubas could target. Low risk, higher ceiling type of player.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Last edited by Three Stars on Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Discuss the topic, don’t attack the poster.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote:Sounds like Comtois isn't getting a qualifying offer from Anaheim. If so, he will be a UFA July 1. He's someone that Dubas could target. Low risk, higher ceiling type of player.
If that’s the case and the qualifying offer is fine, why not give them a 7th for him before they do that? Better than Anaheim getting nothing.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote:Sounds like Comtois isn't getting a qualifying offer from Anaheim. If so, he will be a UFA July 1. He's someone that Dubas could target. Low risk, higher ceiling type of player.
His QO was 2.4M so makes sense that Anaheim didn't QO him. He's a low risk, high reward type of candidate that Dubas should be all over...youth, size, flashed skill for a year.