The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by profpolisci »

I don't care for the station so I don't listen. Today I had no choice and was treated to Laird and Starkey.
Laird literally has no creative mind. Oh, words come out of his mouth in semi-understandable sequence but his proper milieu is in front of the green screen over at the weather desk.
Twenty-cups of coffee Chris Mack is Dick Schapp compared to Laird.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

Point Breeze Penguins wrote:By the way Laird and Starkey have been pretty decent this week. Laird has pretty much "whipped" Starkey into not being a whiny baby for 4 hours.
Laird hasn't done anything like that. What you're hearing is Starkey's joy at not working with Seibel.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Who is Petros Papadakis (?) and why is he YELLING AT ME ON 970 right now?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

PghSkins wrote:Who is Petros Papadakis (?) and why is he YELLING AT ME ON 970 right now?
he used to be the guy on pros vs joes
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Greetings and welcome to the machine
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

lol I turned on the fan this morning and had three yinzers call in screaming conspiracy. Yea, I prefer the X over that station now.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

ZOMG THAT RAIDER BETTER GET FINED IF THEY FIND JAMES HARRISON ZOMG
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

PghSkins wrote:ZOMG THAT RAIDER BETTER GET FINED IF THEY FIND JAMES HARRISON ZOMG
My favorite today was Vinny being honestly concered that Ben was seriously injured. All it took was one replay and you could tell that was a WWE worthy fall from him.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

omg. paul alexander. i just want to rage when he talks. he was saying how we are a litigious society and goes well i dont want to go off on a tangent but i will. all the health care problems we have today are because people are so willing to go to court blah blah blah. i wanted to call and flip out but was walking into work and didnt want to get all flustered. what a buffoon.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Tuned in last night for about 5 mins and once again they were talking about Pitt and what it would take to keep or fire the coach. It's the same topic every night I swear, I texted in "Screw Pitt, this topic has been done to death, talk about the Pens, MAF's shutout, and his rebound the last 7 games." never got a response.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Pavel Bure wrote:Tuned in last night for about 5 mins and once again they were talking about Pitt and what it would take to keep or fire the coach. It's the same topic every night I swear, I texted in "Screw Pitt, this topic has been done to death, talk about the Pens, MAF's shutout, and his rebound the last 7 games." never got a response.
:fist:
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
PghSkins wrote:ZOMG THAT RAIDER BETTER GET FINED IF THEY FIND JAMES HARRISON ZOMG
My favorite today was Vinny being honestly concered that Ben was seriously injured. All it took was one replay and you could tell that was a WWE worthy fall from him.
Big LOL at anyone who thinks Ben took a dive there. I'd love to see how you would react to a 300lb. lineman who can probably bench 400lbs. taking a two handed shot to your face totally unexpected. His center of gravity was completely knocked off balance and the laws of physics took care of the rest. Nothing he nor any other player in the league could have done to prevent him from going down. There was absolutely legitimate reason to be concerned about serious injury from that shot which is why it was so outrageous that the fine/punishment for it was not larger. Not only could his jaw could have been broken, but a concussion from that type of close & powerful unexpected hit is highly likely as well. Ben was very lucky to come out of that without any problems.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

penscup wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
Big LOL at anyone who thinks Ben took a dive there. I'd love to see how you would react to a 300lb. lineman who can probably bench 400lbs. taking a two handed shot to your face totally unexpected. His center of gravity was completely knocked off balance and the laws of physics took care of the rest. Nothing he nor any other player in the league could have done to prevent him from going down. There was absolutely legitimate reason to be concerned about serious injury from that shot which is why it was so outrageous that the fine/punishment for it was not larger. Not only could his jaw could have been broken, but a concussion from that type of close & powerful unexpected hit is highly likely as well. Ben was very lucky to come out of that without any problems.
You're right. It was only the 400th time Ben laid or was carried off the field and didn't miss a down. He was pushed backward, his foot planted squarely on the ground then he dropped like a rock. Actuall facemask penelties during play look worse than that hit. The guys near impossible to bring down when he drops back for a pass, but a smack to his facemask brings him down like that?? C'mon. I'm not upset that he tried to draw a flag, thats what you're supposed to do in that situation, but the outrage like it was some criminal activity is soley because Ben played it up like he did. It was a penelty, it was a cheapshot, but the guy was not hurt. At all.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

DudeMan2766 wrote: You're right. It was only the 400th time Ben laid or was carried off the field and didn't miss a down. He was pushed backward, his foot planted squarely on the ground then he dropped like a rock. Actuall facemask penelties during play look worse than that hit. The guys near impossible to bring down when he drops back for a pass, but a smack to his facemask brings him down like that?? C'mon. I'm not upset that he tried to draw a flag, thats what you're supposed to do in that situation, but the outrage like it was some criminal activity is soley because Ben played it up like he did. It was a penelty, it was a cheapshot, but the guy was not hurt. At all.
While I agree with you that Ben has made a habit of exaggerating injuries or hits over the course of his career, sometimes legitimate sometimes not, this was clearly not one of those instances. Like I said, when you hit someone with such full force to the head like that when they are totally unprepared and knock their center of balance off it is all but impossible to stay on your feet so there is no way he embellished that hit. Once he was down and realized he was mainly okay I'm sure he took his time getting back up, but as you said anybody at that point would have done the same. That was one of THE worst all-time hits after the whistle I have ever seen to a player throughout the many years I have watched the NFL. It was not an embellishment and it is a joke that the guy that did it basically came away from it with merely a slap on the wrist.

Steeler defenders should just start cheap-shotting every QB they play like that for the rest of the season at the end of every game just to prove to Goodell what a joke he is if all they are going to get is an ejection and a $25,000 fine, but unfortunately everyone knows that will never happen because it would severely damage the reputation of the entire organization.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

penscup wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote: You're right. It was only the 400th time Ben laid or was carried off the field and didn't miss a down. He was pushed backward, his foot planted squarely on the ground then he dropped like a rock. Actuall facemask penelties during play look worse than that hit. The guys near impossible to bring down when he drops back for a pass, but a smack to his facemask brings him down like that?? C'mon. I'm not upset that he tried to draw a flag, thats what you're supposed to do in that situation, but the outrage like it was some criminal activity is soley because Ben played it up like he did. It was a penelty, it was a cheapshot, but the guy was not hurt. At all.
but unfortunately everyone knows that will never happen because it would severely damage the reputation of the entire organization.
Dude, that reputation is done and damaged.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Tuned into today to hear them talking once again about Pitt, them losing, and the coach's future with the team. One of the guys, I don't know his name then got on the subject of who's gonna win the Big East and went down the list of teams saying "team name, stinks" etc. I texted in "Pitt stinks" again no response. I hate that they are Pitt's flagship station.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Pavel Bure wrote:Tuned into today to hear them talking once again about Pitt, them losing, and the coach's future with the team. One of the guys, I don't know his name then got on the subject of who's gonna win the Big East and went down the list of teams saying "team name, stinks" etc. I texted in "Pitt stinks" again no response. I hate that they are Pitt's flagship station.
Yeah it sure is strange that the home of pitt athletics would be talking about a pitt football game on the day of a pitt football game. Gee freaking whiz thats a real freaking shocker that they would talk about a team they broadcast on their station.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Tuned into today to hear them talking once again about Pitt, them losing, and the coach's future with the team. One of the guys, I don't know his name then got on the subject of who's gonna win the Big East and went down the list of teams saying "team name, stinks" etc. I texted in "Pitt stinks" again no response. I hate that they are Pitt's flagship station.
Yeah it sure is strange that the home of pitt athletics would be talking about a pitt football game on the day of a pitt football game. Gee freaking whiz thats a real freaking shocker that they would talk about a team they broadcast on their station.
There's a difference between discussing it and beating it into the ground. I drove home two hours and all they talked about was Wanny and Walt Harris.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Yeah it's every night and it's always the same thing.

"What do you want form Pitt?"
"Is Wanny the guy?"
"If he's not who do you replace him with? Who!?"

vomit city
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

So in another couple of months it will be the same people saying the Pens should shoot more on the power play, and they don't think Fleury is good enough.

After that it will be that the Nuttings are cheap.

It's all terribly redundant.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

It's 100% current local topic radio, and it's played.

Please, shake up the formats.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

Just tried to listen to their online stream. Playing some political show. What gives?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Marshall Dylan wrote:So in another couple of months it will be the same people saying the Pens should shoot more on the power play, and they don't think Fleury is good enough.

After that it will be that the Nuttings are cheap.

It's all terribly redundant.
Madden love him or hate him keeps it fresh and entertaining. Why can't these guys?
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

Madden keeps it fresh? He's recycling Captain Lou Albano's act from 1983.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Marshall Dylan wrote:Madden keeps it fresh? He's recycling a combo of Captain Lou Albano's act, the Rock's act, and HHH's from 1983.
fixed