Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by count2infinity »

We bought some flax seed. I've started putting it in a large number of my backed goods. I like the little crunch you get from the seeds. Adds a little texture to some things.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

redwill wrote:Pretty silly and decadent. Embarrassingly so, at times.
For who?
shmenguin wrote:I pan fry + finish in the oven all the time. Getting the skin crispy tastes good and also creates a seal to keep the moisture in. Do a few minutes over medium/ high heat on each side (skin side first) and then put it in the oven. I think thats the way to go
I would recommend not cooking them on the cooktop on the second side for more than it takes to add some aromatics before putting it in the oven.

Skin side down in some EVOO for 2-3 minutes until it has some good color, flip, add rosemary/thyme/tarragon/shallot/garlic/whatever your little heart desires, splash of dry white wine, into a 350 oven and cook until done.

My preferred way is to add some halved shallots and quartered crimini mushrooms to the pan for a few minutes before the chicken goes in. Put those suckers cut side down and don't move them, let them get all brown and stuff. Then push them aside when you add the chicken.

I actually a lovely series of burns on my right forearm, looks like animal bite marks. But's it's actually the result of the last time I made this recipe; reaching over a pan full of chicken legs when a pocket of fat exploded.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Pork shoulder chili on the stove for an hour so far.
It should be really good, once it sits on itself until tomorrow night.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

:thumb:
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

tifosi77 wrote:
redwill wrote:Pretty silly and decadent. Embarrassingly so, at times.
For who?
Radio.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Unilateral Salmon a la Ripert, Part Deux.

Same method and plating as the original, but this time I cooked the leeks in some duck fat then braised them in chicken stock and added a few fresh scallion ribbons just at the end of cooking to get a contrast in texture and flavor. Also absolutely nailed the sauce, both in consistency and balance of flavors. (Needed more tarragon than the recipe called for, and finished with a tiny splash of sherry vinegar.)

This will be the go-to version of this recipe in the future.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

I picked up some Chilean Sea Bass from Wholefoods the other day.... yum

Anyone else a fan?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Generally not a fan; it's an overfished species that needs to be left alone for awhile. There are some sustainable farmed sources - which I believe is where Whole Foods gets their product - but it only amounts to about 10% of the total Patagonia toothfish market. (Didn't know it was actually called that, did you?)

The Monterey Bay Aquarium publishes a great guide to sustainable seafood, called Seafood Watch. The aquarium itself is great, so if you ever get the chance to visit I recommend it. But this guide is an invaluable resource.

Now...... all that said, I recommend steaming the fish in the microwave in a deep bowl under plastic wrap.

The video here demonstrates the technique using black cod. (Which is my personal favorite fish for cooking.) But if you don't want to do that, you can make a pouch with foil or (better) parchment and add all the same ingredients to that pouch, seal and put in a 300 F oven for 3-4 minutes.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

tifosi77 wrote:Generally not a fan; it's an overfished species that needs to be left alone for awhile. There are some sustainable farmed sources - which I believe is where Whole Foods gets their product - but it only amounts to about 10% of the total Patagonia toothfish market. (Didn't know it was actually called that, did you?)
I actually did.. thanks to the Consol Energy commercial :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Well you're one up on me, cos I didn't know it until I started searching for the links I referenced. :face:

:lol:

Seriously, tho....... Chilean sea bass is a pretty delicious fish. Just make sure you're sourcing from responsible purveyors.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Roy Choi of A-Frame and Kogi on How Cookbooks Changed His Life
http://www.laweekly.com/2012-03-08/eat- ... -Junction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This must have been in 2008, but I was lucky enough to run across the Kogi Korean bbq taco truck during a visit to LA.
Delicious!
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

columbia wrote:Roy Choi of A-Frame and Kogi on How Cookbooks Changed His Life
http://www.laweekly.com/2012-03-08/eat- ... -Junction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This must have been in 2008, but I was lucky enough to run across the Kogi Korean bbq taco truck during a visit to LA.
Delicious!
i will find this. (edit: you sneaky editor)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

:pop:

Decided to retain my anonymity.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:Roy Choi of A-Frame and Kogi on How Cookbooks Changed His Life

Delicious!
There's a Kogi truck that comes to my work neighborhood every Friday. It's not bad, but the best Koeran taco truck - but a not small margin, mind you - is Bool BBQ. They've only been around a short while, so they aren't as popular as Kogi, but I will actively seek out Bool. Kogi is one of those things that's nice to know is there.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Says the guy with access to > 1 Korean taco truck to the guy with access to < 1 Korean taco truck.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

made shrimp and grits tonight... the grits texture was a little off for me, so likely won't cook it myself again. would love to try what real grits taste like (not sure if mine are what they should really taste like or if it's the right mouth feel...)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

They are supposed to be very smooth and bordering on creamy.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Hand breaded haddock, peas and fries tonight. Simple, but tasty.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Attempted to pan-sear salmon today.....long story short, set off my smoke detector and trashed the salmon. I think I'll stick with baked fish for now on. My wife refuses to eat seafood, so I'm sure she'll love the smell when she gets home from her MBA class :lol:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Just smoke some herb to cover it up. :pop:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Attempted to pan-sear salmon today.....long story short, set off my smoke detector and trashed the salmon. I think I'll stick with baked fish for now on. My wife refuses to eat seafood, so I'm sure she'll love the smell when she gets home from her MBA class :lol:
You need a very hot pan, a little bit of neutral oil (I prefer canola or grapeseed), and about 5 minutes for every inch of thickness if you prefer salmon on the rare side of medium (which, in all honesty, you should). Cook the fish to about 90% done on the skin side (don't forget to press the fish lightly into the pan and hold it there for about 20-30 seconds as soon as you put the fish in; helps keep it from curling up), then turn and cook just until that other side is white. Enjoy.

And apparently you also need a better range hood and ventilation. :P
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

tifosi77 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Attempted to pan-sear salmon today.....long story short, set off my smoke detector and trashed the salmon. I think I'll stick with baked fish for now on. My wife refuses to eat seafood, so I'm sure she'll love the smell when she gets home from her MBA class :lol:
You need a very hot pan, a little bit of neutral oil (I prefer canola or grapeseed), and about 5 minutes for every inch of thickness if you prefer salmon on the rare side of medium (which, in all honesty, you should). Cook the fish to about 90% done on the skin side (don't forget to press the fish lightly into the pan and hold it there for about 20-30 seconds as soon as you put the fish in; helps keep it from curling up), then turn and cook just until that other side is white. Enjoy.

And apparently you also need a better range hood and ventilation. :P
I have a cholesterol issue, so trying to use extra virgin olive oil as much as possible. I just don't think I used enough oil, truth be told.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

columbia wrote:Pork shoulder chili on the stove for an hour so far.
It should be really good, once it sits on itself until tomorrow night.
I have a pretty good New Mexican hatch chile connection, but those are gone until late summer.
I used those seemingly generic Old El Paso canned chiles and it was still fantastic.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Tried another one of those Kraft Fresh Takes... this time I made the Italian Parmesan one. Breaded a boneless butterflied chop with part of the mix, then mixed the rest in with some potatoes (along w butter and a bit of oil to help coat).

Turned out to be pretty good. The chop especially was very good, IMO.

I didn't follow their directions exactly... those didn't produce satisfactory results w the chicken the previous time. I hit the chop w a bit of salt & pepper, dipped in some egg, and then coated it with about half of the mix. Put some butter on and around the chop to help with browning and keeping it from drying out. I was very pleased with how this turned out and I'd do it again.

For the taters, I peeled and chopped a few, parboiled them, mixed em up w the remaining mix, oil and butter, then cooked the rest of the way in the oven. They were pretty good, but I might add a bit of additional seasoning next time.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I snagged one of the Italian parmesan ones yesterday. Can't wait to tryit out