LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Healthcare Reform Act of 2009

Post by Geezer »

Ron` wrote:
Geezer wrote:The problem with social secuity is it's the crown jewel of Dem social policy. It's kind of a giant ponzi scheme that is doomed to burst sometime in the future. There's no way my grandkids or kids will get what the system has promised and they're going to burdened with a massive tax bill to pay for the boomers. The Dems scorch the Republicans every 10 years or so when they occasionally get the stones to try and address the problem. The politicians are pushing the day of reckoning off into the future which is the one thing politicians are excellent at.
Medicare is a program that has failed to contain costs which greatly exceeded the rosy cost picture painted when it was enacted(a second thing pols are famous for). The sneaky approach that Obamacare is using claims that thet aren;t reducing benfits. What they ARE doing is reducing reimbursements in Medicare and Medicaid which absolutely will reduce care. Hospitals and Doctors will see less of these patients because ,as evil as Dems consider it, they need to operate in the black. In Mikey Moore's universe Doc's should work for 50 bucks a month like they do in Cuba.
I disagree, the problem with social security was the elected officials transferred the excess when said individuals were working, paying in, to the general fund. General fund, which they subsequently threw around like dollar bills at the strip bar... Medicare is just pure mismanagement of the same ilk imo. But people paid into this and expected some return, backed by the government, since that was the promise. Funny how they want to start another program of the same basis and say it will be cost neutral.... Now when the generations that are retired cannot contribute to their political slush funds via the tax base etc or afford the costs of cutting off the promised benefits they thought they had accrued....the same ilk cut benefits in the interest of selling a new used car to a younger generaton ....
I agree Ron that the transfer was a big part of the problem both with SS as well as with gov't spending in general. But there was also avoidance of changes that should have been enacted years ago like matching up SS retirement ages to increses in life expectancy.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

They have tried somewhat Geezer, I am the first generation to feel that age change. But I understand it too. Stealing from the generations older than me in past tense is just wrong though....
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

[quote="GeezerJews are not a race so it can't be racial redistibution. It could be some kind of ethnic redisribution I suppose ,but Jews are also not of a single ethnicity.[/quote]

The Nazis absolutely defined the Jews as a "race." What you or I might understand them to be is irrelevant to what the Nazis thought they were and how that affected their policies.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

HomerPenguin wrote:[quote="GeezerJews are not a race so it can't be racial redistibution. It could be some kind of ethnic redisribution I suppose ,but Jews are also not of a single ethnicity.
The Nazis absolutely defined the Jews as a "race." What you or I might understand them to be is irrelevant to what the Nazis thought they were and how that affected their policies.[/quote]
I know what the Nazis classified them but that doesn't make them a race any more than classifying themselves (Germans ) as a race, which they were not. If the Germans defined Jews as kangaroos it wouldn't make them kangaroos.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by PensFanInDC »

I changed the title to fit the discussion. No need for a new thread for every politcal action.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08 ... -internet/

discuss...

...before the internet goes away!! :scared:
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

MWB wrote:
Ron` wrote:I come from a long line of public educators including my offspring now. I fully understand the political system effects and it's implications on continued employment. Quit dodging the reality of public education, let alone the philosphical nonsense professed at the collegiate level.
So in this "reality" we live in.... the country is filled with teachers who teach that "liberal" is the way to go. We've also got a media that talks about how great "liberals" are nonstop. Where did all the "conservatives" come from? Oh, I know.... they were the ones that were smart enough to think for themselves, to fight upstream. The silly "liberals" just follow along with whatever they are told to do, from school-age on. Who is elitist again?
Where in this post did I say anything about liberals, its factual political corruption that keeps teachers employed or not in most areas, particularly this state ...
Last edited by Ron` on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Ron` wrote: its factual politcal corruption that keeps teachers employed or not in most areas, particularly this state ...
What is "factual political corruption"? Are you saying that most teachers are employed because of political ties? In what way?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

MWB wrote:
Ron` wrote: its factual politcal corruption that keeps teachers employed or not in most areas, particularly this state ...
What is "factual political corruption"? Are you saying that most teachers are employed because of political ties? In what way?
They don't get employed in most school districts without some kind of political ties and/or nepotism on the school boards, that is a fact. Unless the district is in the inner city and cannot keep staff at all due to conditions. Same with other school related jobs. I remember my dad having to change his political party several times to stay employed in my youth. It continues to be reality, particularly in this state for initial employment.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Ron` wrote: They don't get employed in most school districts without some kind of political ties and/or nepotism on the school boards, that is a fact. Unless the district is in the inner city and cannot keep staff at all due to conditions. Same with other school related jobs. I remember my dad having to change his political party several times to stay employed in my youth. It continues to be reality, particularly in this state for initial employment.
I won't argue that knowing school board members or having other ins with schools certainly helps your chances. However, it is not a necessity. I was hired in a western PA school a few months after I moved there. I got on the sub list, got an interview, and got the job. I knew no one on the board and had no relationships with anyone there. As with many jobs, who you know can help you out a bit. And you're right that knowing a school board member can help you get a job. However, I don't see any evidence that a current teacher's political affiliation will effect them getting hired. I can't speak for how it was during your father's time, just speaking based on my own experience. Also, many school boards are not involved in the process to the extent that they aren't interview candidates or making choices. Administrators do that and the choice then gets approved by the board, but it's usually without even meeting the candidate.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

I can tell you that I have recently seen it in action for both of my offspring here in PA. In one case they came begging later when the nepotistic hire split on them. I suspect it will happen with the other too... Anyone can get on the sub list if qualified, all districts are dying for subs and my daughter subbed for two years here. Some districts will not hire their own subs as they have a hard time keeping subs that will show.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Ron` wrote:I can tell you that I have recently seen it in action for both of my offspring here in PA. In one case they came begging later when the nepotistic hire split on them. I suspect it will happen with the other too... Anyone can get on the sub list if qualified, all districts are dying for subs and my daughter subbed for two years here. Some districts will not hire their own subs as they have a hard time keeping subs that will show.
Yes, I know that some districts won't hire from sub lists. It doesn't take away from any of the other stuff I said above though. It simply isn't "a fact" that all or even most teachers are hired from nepotism. Certainly there is some of that though. And when you say you child lost out to someone because of nepotism.... what was the tie? They knew someone on the board? I certainly don't think it is good policy to hire someone just because you know them, but if there are two equally qualified people, will you go with the person you know or the one you don't know?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

salt nan

wait, where am i?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

PensFanInDC wrote:Image

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I'd give you more but there's a cap.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Corvidae wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Image

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I'd give you more but there's a cap.
So, wait... we're supposed to wait until they've destroyed the republic, set upon a totalitarian regime, denied civil liberties and potentially have killed millions of people before I suggest that perhaps a guy has authoritarian leanings?

Yeah... that'll work...
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Guinness wrote:So, wait... we're supposed to wait until they've destroyed the republic, set upon a totalitarian regime, denied civil liberties and potentially have killed millions of people before I suggest that perhaps a guy has authoritarian leanings?

Yeah... that'll work...
Suggesting authoritarian leanings is a little different than calling them Hitler.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Corvidae wrote: Suggesting authoritarian leanings is a little different than calling them Hitler.
Why? When is it time to relate one authoritarian to another?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Guinness wrote:
Corvidae wrote: Suggesting authoritarian leanings is a little different than calling them Hitler.
Do you even know what you're saying? Do you know who Adolf Hilter was and what he did? I don't think you do.

You can obsess over semantics all you want, but if you think Bush or Obama are like Hitler, you're misguided, delusional, and lack even the education of a 4th grader who glanced at the World War II chapter in history class.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Corvidae wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Do you even know what you're saying? Do you know who Adolf Hilter was and what he did? I don't think you do.

You can obsess over semantics all you want, but if you think Bush or Obama are like Hitler, you're misguided, delusional, and lack even the education of a 4th grader who glanced at the World War II chapter in history class.
I think that Bush and Obama are very much like Hitler, philosophically. I think all three believe/d in the righteousness of their rule. I think they believe/d in their omniscience (they'd never call it that... they'd call it, "duty", or some such BS) and the fundamental sanctity of their beliefs.

Yeah, I know it's "crazy" to compare ANYONE to Hitler, but Hitler wasn't even the most brutal, blood-thirsty dictator of the past century... not even by a long shot. It's a shame no one called out, or nobody heard the clarion's call, long before he started upon his murderous rampage, no?

And I'm neither delusional, nor misguided, nor uneducated when it comes to political philosophy.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Guinness wrote: I think that Bush and Obama are very much like Hitler, philosophically. I think all three believe/d in the righteousness of their rule. I think they believe/d in their omniscience (they'd never call it that... they'd call it, "duty", or some such BS) and the fundamental sanctity of their beliefs.

Yeah, I know it's "crazy" to compare ANYONE to Hitler, but Hitler wasn't even the most brutal, blood-thirsty dictator of the past century... not even by a long shot. It's a shame no one called out, or nobody heard the clarion's call, long before he started upon his murderous rampage, no?

And I'm neither delusional, nor misguided, nor uneducated when it comes to political philosophy.
Justify it however you want, but being responsible for the murder of millions is not the same as thinking that your way of ruling is the right way of ruling. You believe that your way is the right way without question... how is that different? I know, everyone would live a life that doesn't effect others.... except that is a practical impossibility.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

On what issues? I 'm pretty sure that all leaders believe in the "righteousness of their rule", I'm sure the pope does, a CEO does, generally leaders are thought that maybe, they should lead, Do you think Obama thinks he is all knowing, if so why doesn't he just gaze into the future, and see how everything is going to work out? Who is really on that list with Hilter? Stalin? Mao?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Guinness wrote: I think that Bush and Obama are very much like Hitler, philosophically. I think all three believe/d in the righteousness of their rule. I think they believe/d in their omniscience (they'd never call it that... they'd call it, "duty", or some such BS) and the fundamental sanctity of their beliefs.

So did Reagan and likely many many other world leaders.

Most brutal? Who cares? I think he was bad enough to make the current comparisons ridiculous, regardless of what guys like Stalin and Pol Pot did.

Fine, but you apparently don't realize that Hilter has been an icon of pure evil over the past 60+ years. Comparing him to another person insinuates that that person is also a grand and unrelenting evil in the seat of power.