TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by Gaucho »

columbia wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
obhave wrote:Mad med
Spoiler:
Does anyone think Megan is actually going away? I guess i was wrong about them killing her this season, but anything to get rid of her.
Spoiler:
Looks like they're done with California, so I guess there'll be very little, if any, Megan in the final half-season.
Please.....she's awful.
I don't really understand the wide-spread aversion.

I do think that it's becoming painfully apparent how, erm, limited Kiernan Shipka's acting skills are.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Because she's a terrible actress and her character is annoying?

At first I thought she was playing the role of someone who is a bad actress, but then realized the problem is more meta than that.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Her character is so annoying. She, as an actress, cant seem to convey any emotional range. Compared to Joan and Peggy, her female character is dull and weak. I just want her to go away.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I'm running out of shows. Turn is done June 8th. Blacklist is done. Louie is done for the wrong reason. Silicon Valley wraps on the 1st.

The Newsroom is now a fall series, set to premier late this year for its final season.
Boardwalk Empire is still four months away.
Sleepy Hollow has 18 more episodes coming, starting in September.
Sons of Anarchy is off till September and is waning.
Silicon Valley got a greenlight for Season 2, but isnt' even in production yet.

Under the Dome comes back in a month, but I'm still annoyed with it.
Halt and Catch Fire makes it's TV debut on June 1. It might be the great summer hope, though the Texas setting has me proceeding with caution.

Might spend the summer clearing the backlog of stuff I have on BD or my hard drive. I've been watching The Sopranos with my wife (I've seen it, she hasn't) and we're now in the second half of the last season so that is almost done.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

MRandall25 wrote:
Nuge wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:This World Wars program on History is pretty well done.
I was a little disappointed with it. I was a big fan of The Men Who Built America and was hoping that this would be similar to that, but it felt a little off for some reason. I'm hoping it picks up tonight.
I think the actor they chose to play the young Hitler didn't exactly give off a Hitler-type vibe. He just ended up looking like a whiny emo hipster with a Hitler stache (unless that's what they were going for).

I also guess another part of it feeling "off" was that they pretty much tried to fit 7 or 8 WWI origin stories into 2 hours or however long it was. There wasn't really a lot of time to fully touch on Mussolini, Stalin, Patton, Churchill, Hitler, Japan (who were only really mentioned in the last 10 minutes of the program), Wilson, etc. and what they did cover felt rushed and ended awkwardly in an in-between time period.
I definitely enjoyed the second and third nights better. I think the thing that makes it seem different to me is that the actors aren't really acting all that much. They're just providing a visual. TMWBA had a lot of scenes with the actors talking directly to one another which made me buy into each character more. This had more of a documentary feel to it, which is fine, but they could've easily used actual footage rather than actors if they wanted to go in that direction. Overall though, I did think it was well done and interesting.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i think we've also definitively learned that january jones is a pretty lousy actress as well.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

shmenguin wrote:i think we've also definitively learned that january jones is a pretty lousy actress as well.
Well, we can lock her in my basement, er, I mean she can come live with me...
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Yeah, cause that sounds less creepy.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Hmm. I didn't know Sarcastic was back...
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

dodint wrote:I'm running out of shows. Turn is done June 8th. Blacklist is done. Louie is done for the wrong reason. Silicon Valley wraps on the 1st.

The Newsroom is now a fall series, set to premier late this year for its final season.
Boardwalk Empire is still four months away.
Sleepy Hollow has 18 more episodes coming, starting in September.
Sons of Anarchy is off till September and is waning.
Silicon Valley got a greenlight for Season 2, but isnt' even in production yet.

Under the Dome comes back in a month, but I'm still annoyed with it.
Halt and Catch Fire makes it's TV debut on June 1. It might be the great summer hope, though the Texas setting has me proceeding with caution.

Might spend the summer clearing the backlog of stuff I have on BD or my hard drive. I've been watching The Sopranos with my wife (I've seen it, she hasn't) and we're now in the second half of the last season so that is almost done.
Wife and I ran into the same problem...til we discovered that Amazon Prime added all the HBO content. She had never watched True Blood, and is now 8 episodes deep. I'm watching season 2 of East Bound and Down (though I may give up on that soon). I'm planning on rewatching all of Deadwood...and neither one of us have ever seen Boardwalk Empire, Oz, The Wire, or Six Feet Under.

Summer TV just got a lot more bearable. :thumb:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Six Feet Under should be your next watch. You won't regret it at all.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Getting toward the end of season 1 of House of Cards...
Spoiler:
Just got finished with the episode where Frank kills Russo. I'm so angry right now. I liked Russo a lot. I have a feeling that Zoey is going to eventually publish a piece on Frank killing him, but that's merely speculation. I can't wait to see where this goes.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

malkinshair wrote:
Wife and I ran into the same problem...til we discovered that Amazon Prime added all the HBO content. She had never watched True Blood, and is now 8 episodes deep. I'm watching season 2 of East Bound and Down (though I may give up on that soon). I'm planning on rewatching all of Deadwood...and neither one of us have ever seen Boardwalk Empire, Oz, The Wire, or Six Feet Under.

I may have to look into Amazon Prime.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

newarenanow wrote:
malkinshair wrote:

I may have to look into Amazon Prime.
It's not all free under the Prime content (first 3 seasons of True Blood, only 1st season of Boardwalk Empire...but you'd have to buy the rest of the seasons), but most of the discontinued shows seem to include all seasons for free. Still a ton of added awesome for something that we were already paying for.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

PensFanInDC wrote:Six Feet Under should be your next watch. You won't regret it at all.
Definitely. I have a coworker basically threatening to hurt me if I don't start watching it soon. I countered his threat with my own to him...as he's never watched Deadwood.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I still like Megan from Mad Men as a character, though I do agree that the actress isn't as good as Elisabeth Moss or Christina Hendricks.
Spoiler:
You can say Megan isn't as strong as Peggy or Joan, but she had the awareness to recognize that even those who "win" in the corporate world end up selling their souls to do it (or other things in Joan's case). Of course, she follows that up by trying to be an actress, which almost certainly seems to suffer from the same problems, but that's also seems to be kind of the point of Mad Men--whatever version of the American dream you shoot for (business exec, housewife, actor, hippie, etc.), it looks good from afar, but is kind of terrible to actually live out.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Hell on Wheels is bavk August 2.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

malkinshair wrote:...and neither one of us have ever seen Boardwalk Empire, Oz, The Wire, or Six Feet Under.

All great ones. The Wire is my personal favorite, but can't really go wrong with any of them.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I feel a little like dodint...all of the good shows I've been watching wrapped up in the last week or so (except Game of Thrones).

I don't know if anyone else watches The Americans, but that finale really packed a punch...
Spoiler:
A lot of the scenes are very understated, but really have a strong emotional impact just conveyed in subtle facial expressions. Stan not saving Nina was intense. The writers supposedly say that she'll be back, but I don't see how that can work.
I kind of figured that the kid shot his family, since there were no other major characters who could have done it, but I didn't think it was going to be because he had been recruited by the KGB as well. The writers also said that there was at least one known case of the American-born kid of Soviet spies becoming a 2nd-generation agent.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Caught up on TURN last night.
Spoiler:
Anna Strong finds out the real reason Abraham felt obligated to his brother, as it is revealed it was Abraham who started the riot that got Thomas killed. To which she finally understands why he broke off their engagement. And yada yada yada...
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

malkinshair wrote: Wife and I ran into the same problem...til we discovered that Amazon Prime added all the HBO content. She had never watched True Blood, and is now 8 episodes deep. I'm watching season 2 of East Bound and Down (though I may give up on that soon). I'm planning on rewatching all of Deadwood...and neither one of us have ever seen Boardwalk Empire, Oz, The Wire, or Six Feet Under.

I forgot until you just mentioned it, but Deadwood is my replacement for Sopranos. I watched it last year in Afghanistan, but on a work computer so I didn't retain much. Going to watch it with the wife who has never seen it. I have DirecTV so I have it through HBOGO and regular HBO-OD through the receiver box, and on my NAS drive for that matter.

I bombed on East Bound and Down myself. I wanted to like it but it just fizzled out and I find myself not missing it.

Boardwalk Empire works it's way up to brilliant, so stay with some of the slower bits.

relentel, glad you're enjoying TURN. I am. AMC still hasn't decided on a season 2 or not.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

malkinshair wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Six Feet Under should be your next watch. You won't regret it at all.
Definitely. I have a coworker basically threatening to hurt me if I don't start watching it soon. I countered his threat with my own to him...as he's never watched Deadwood.
Six Feet Under has the best ending to a TV show in history. Hands down not even close.

Deadwood was fantastic. We used to play the roostersucker game. Every time someone said roostersucker we would take a drink. There is an episode where Swerengin (fun fact, I went to HS with a direct ancestor of his) and the Asian dude say it roughly 20 times in one scene.

SAN FRANCISCO ROOSTERSUCKER!
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Since we cut cable we have started Sherlock and Grimm. Both are fantastic and I highly recommend to anyone. Grimm is available on British Netflix Instant. We also are going to watch the first 2 seasons of Person of Interest on Canadian Netflix. We have more TV to watch now that we cut cable than we did before.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Has anyone else heard that PFiDC cut the cord with his cable company? ;)
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Crankshaft wrote:Has anyone else heard that PFiDC cut the cord with his cable company? ;)
I'm saving enough per year to make a mortgage payment. I'm pretty damn excited lol :lol: :fist: